Expediting ETF and unlock?

Contributor

Expediting ETF and unlock?

Has anyone been able to expedite the ETF fee payment so they can get their unlock request approved immediately? Basically, I'm moving abroad for a year to teach English and volunteer in approximately 1 week.  When I called customer service, they told me "sure we can request an unlock code when your contract ETF fee is posted to your bill...which is in a month."

So I'm paying all this money to cancel my contract, but because they can't charge me right away, I can't request an unlock code for an entire month when I'm going to be moving in one week.  I explained my situation and they basically told me they couldn't do anything...I used to like AT&T and was thinking about coming back to their services in a year....probably not now!

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if they've found any way around it...it's not like I'm trying to get out of the ETF, I just want to pay it immediately so I can request my unlock code!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (1,298 Views)
Expert

Re: Expediting ETF and unlock?

moving2 wrote:

Has anyone been able to expedite the ETF fee payment so they can get their unlock request approved immediately? Basically, I'm moving abroad for a year to teach English and volunteer in approximately 1 week.  When I called customer service, they told me "sure we can request an unlock code when your contract ETF fee is posted to your bill...which is in a month."

So I'm paying all this money to cancel my contract, but because they can't charge me right away, I can't request an unlock code for an entire month when I'm going to be moving in one week.  I explained my situation and they basically told me they couldn't do anything...I used to like AT&T and was thinking about coming back to their services in a year....probably not now!

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if they've found any way around it...it's not like I'm trying to get out of the ETF, I just want to pay it immediately so I can request my unlock code!

Thanks!

it comes at the end of your billing cycle, you final bill will have the etf on it and your final bill that will not be prorated

Message 2 of 6 (1,285 Views)
Contributor

Right - but that is stating the obvious. It doesn't answer my question and means I can't request an unlock code until the end of my billing cycle. Which is in one month. I will be out of the country by then and unable to use my phone.

Lame.

Message 3 of 6 (1,283 Views)
Expert

moving2 wrote:

Right - but that is stating the obvious. It doesn't answer my question and means I can't request an unlock code until the end of my billing cycle. Which is in one month. I will be out of the country by then and unable to use my phone.

Lame.

As long as you are a current or previous att customer you can use the website to request the unlock

Message 4 of 6 (1,280 Views)
Contributor

I'm not saying that AT&T won't perform an unlock...I know they will, but the ETF has to be posted to my bill before they can do that.

My bill posts in one month.

I leave the country in one week.

So I can't request the unlock until the ETF is paid on my posted bill. I would like to use the unlocked device as soon as I get in the country!

Message 5 of 6 (1,275 Views)
Expert

moving2 wrote:

I'm not saying that AT&T won't perform an unlock...I know they will, but the ETF has to be posted to my bill before they can do that.

My bill posts in one month.

I leave the country in one week.

So I can't request the unlock until the ETF is paid on my posted bill. I would like to use the unlocked device as soon as I get in the country!

you can try sending a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

Message 6 of 6 (1,270 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.