Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 22, 2014
5:53:46 PM
View profile
Existing customer can't Pre-Order Galaxy S5 at FULL RETAIL AT&T Premier?
Edited by MJB0188 on Mar 22, 2014 at 7:05:08 PM

Why can't I pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S5 via AT&T premier at full retail?  I do not want to do a contract or NEXT.  What are my options?

Why can't I pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S5 via AT&T premier at full retail?  I do not want to do a contract or NEXT.  What are my options?

Existing customer can't Pre-Order Galaxy S5 at FULL RETAIL AT&T Premier?

[ Edited ]
13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 6:35:54 PM
(0)
Expert

MJB0188 wrote:

Why can't I pre-order the S5 via AT&T premier at full retial?  I do not want to do a contract or NEXT.  What are my options?

Best bet - order the factory unlocked version of the 5S from Apple directly if you are paying full price anyway. This way you don;t have to endure the waiting period on a newly released Iphone for a unlock

MJB0188 wrote:

Why can't I pre-order the S5 via AT&T premier at full retial?  I do not want to do a contract or NEXT.  What are my options?

Best bet - order the factory unlocked version of the 5S from Apple directly if you are paying full price anyway. This way you don;t have to endure the waiting period on a newly released Iphone for a unlock

Re: Existing customer can't Pre-Order S5 at FULL RETAIL AT&T Premier?

2 of 14 (1,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2014 7:04:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks but I was referring to the upcoming Samsung Galaxy s5, not the iPhone 5S.

Thanks but I was referring to the upcoming Samsung Galaxy s5, not the iPhone 5S.

Re: Existing customer can't Pre-Order S5 at FULL RETAIL AT&T Premier?

3 of 14 (1,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2014 7:28:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'm considering my options now, one of which puts me in the same situation that you are in.  I went to a store and was told that I can't preorder it there, either.  I'll let you know if I find out anything different soon.  Please keep me posted, as well.

I'm considering my options now, one of which puts me in the same situation that you are in.  I went to a store and was told that I can't preorder it there, either.  I'll let you know if I find out anything different soon.  Please keep me posted, as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Existing customer can't Pre-Order Galaxy S5 at FULL RETAIL AT&T Premier?

4 of 14 (1,145 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 5:43:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

MJB0188 wrote:

It makes sense the AT&T would limit pre-orders to customers they have reasonable evididence will me giving them payment for monthly service over the the next two years. 

I'd say likely your only option (besides using a traditional upgrade or NEXT) is to wait until the actual release date and purchase the phone then. 

MJB0188 wrote:

It makes sense the AT&T would limit pre-orders to customers they have reasonable evididence will me giving them payment for monthly service over the the next two years. 

I'd say likely your only option (besides using a traditional upgrade or NEXT) is to wait until the actual release date and purchase the phone then. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (1,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 8:24:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

I disagree that it makes sense for AT&T to do this.  AT&T should value all customers. 

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

I disagree that it makes sense for AT&T to do this.  AT&T should value all customers. 

6 of 14 (1,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 10:58:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

It would seem that your comment presumes that OP is not planning to use the S5 with AT&T wireless service--otherwise, why would it make sense for AT&T to limit pre-orders to people willing to pay using Next vs. paying full retail price since either way the amount paid for the phone is the same?  AT&T doesn't make any extra money off a phone by selling it to a customer via Next rather than the customer paying full price up front--there are no finance charges incurred by going the Next route, so no extra money to be made there by AT&T.

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

It would seem that your comment presumes that OP is not planning to use the S5 with AT&T wireless service--otherwise, why would it make sense for AT&T to limit pre-orders to people willing to pay using Next vs. paying full retail price since either way the amount paid for the phone is the same?  AT&T doesn't make any extra money off a phone by selling it to a customer via Next rather than the customer paying full price up front--there are no finance charges incurred by going the Next route, so no extra money to be made there by AT&T.

7 of 14 (1,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 11:43:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jane697 wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

My comment doesn't presume that. My comment merely mentions that AT&T has no reason to believe he will continue to use AT&T has his provider, thus making money from the monthly service fees. 

People using Next are going to be likely to stay with AT&T than people who purchase their phones outright. Do they have the option leave and pay the remaining balance of the phone? Sure. What percentage of those people will versus people who can leave without paying any balance?

It's simply a business decision to offer pre-orders to the customers they feel they are most likely to make the most money from. 

jane697 wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

My comment doesn't presume that. My comment merely mentions that AT&T has no reason to believe he will continue to use AT&T has his provider, thus making money from the monthly service fees. 

People using Next are going to be likely to stay with AT&T than people who purchase their phones outright. Do they have the option leave and pay the remaining balance of the phone? Sure. What percentage of those people will versus people who can leave without paying any balance?

It's simply a business decision to offer pre-orders to the customers they feel they are most likely to make the most money from. 

8 of 14 (1,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 1:28:16 PM
(0)
Expert

jane697 wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

Actually using it on the att network is a given, since it will be a new release they normally don;t unlock fro 6 or more months. Makes perfect business sense - with the subsidized price you have the customer for 2 years, with the next plan they could have you for at least 12 months, the maximum time before att allows the device to be unlocked

jane697 wrote:

MicCheck wrote:

MJB0188 wrote:

Actually using it on the att network is a given, since it will be a new release they normally don;t unlock fro 6 or more months. Makes perfect business sense - with the subsidized price you have the customer for 2 years, with the next plan they could have you for at least 12 months, the maximum time before att allows the device to be unlocked

9 of 14 (1,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 5:22:00 PM
(0)
Guru

Maybe it's something with your profile/account? When i log in, it gives me 3 choices, next 12, next 18 and no commitment pricing for the pre order. It's also through premier. 

Maybe it's something with your profile/account? When i log in, it gives me 3 choices, next 12, next 18 and no commitment pricing for the pre order. It's also through premier. 

10 of 14 (1,062 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 5:24:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ujmnz wrote:

Mine is Premier, as well.  I tried it two different ways.  One line is fully upgrade eligible; I had the two Next choices and the two-year contract choice.  The other line is not upgrade eligible yet.  I wasn't presented with any choices; once I got to the charges screen, it showed the pricing for Next 12.  Neither line gives me the option for no-commitment pricing.

ujmnz wrote:

Mine is Premier, as well.  I tried it two different ways.  One line is fully upgrade eligible; I had the two Next choices and the two-year contract choice.  The other line is not upgrade eligible yet.  I wasn't presented with any choices; once I got to the charges screen, it showed the pricing for Next 12.  Neither line gives me the option for no-commitment pricing.

11 of 14 (1,059 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 5:39:30 PM
(0)
Guru

None of mine are eligile for 2 yr upgrade and I get the next options and no commitment pricing. I wonder why mine is different. 

None of mine are eligile for 2 yr upgrade and I get the next options and no commitment pricing. I wonder why mine is different. 

12 of 14 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2014 6:08:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

Wow.  Some of the replies on here are ridiculous.  Yes, I plan on using the AT&T S5 on AT&T's network.  I have been a current customer for years.  Believe me, I wish I could go to T-Mobile but EDGE doesn't cut it.  

And if anyone is interested, you can order it at full retail price if you have multiple lines.  Since I am NOT eligible for an upgrade on one of my other lines, AT&T premier gives the option for no commitment pricing. 

Some of you need to stop assuming stuff.  Wow.

Wow.  Some of the replies on here are ridiculous.  Yes, I plan on using the AT&T S5 on AT&T's network.  I have been a current customer for years.  Believe me, I wish I could go to T-Mobile but EDGE doesn't cut it.  

And if anyone is interested, you can order it at full retail price if you have multiple lines.  Since I am NOT eligible for an upgrade on one of my other lines, AT&T premier gives the option for no commitment pricing. 

Some of you need to stop assuming stuff.  Wow.

13 of 14 (1,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 7:36:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

Why wouldn't you just pre-order on next then pay it off?

Why wouldn't you just pre-order on next then pay it off?

14 of 14 (985 Views)