11-19-2012 1:16 PM - edited 11-19-2012 1:20 PM
This isn't so much a question as a report of the problem I'm having. Maybe it will help someone else.
I have a new phone, new number, new account. Just signed up, just activated. It's an iphone5.
Runs ios6, latest version.
I understood that any email client (like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, any corporate email) could send an SMS to any AT&T subscriber's wireless device by using the address XXXXXXXXXX@txt.att.net, where the X's are replaced by the 10-digit AT&T wireless subscriber's wireless telephone number.
I have another AT&T wireless number, and this works flawlessly. I also use this to send SMS to my friends and colleagues, who use AT&T Wireless. So I know this "works" normally.
For some reason this does not work for my new phone. When I send an email to the address corresponding to my own wireless number, I get an error report email from the email system. The error email I get from my outgoing email server (I am using hotmail) says:
Delivery to the following recipients failed. firstname.lastname@example.org
..where 9876543210 is replaced by my own subscriber number.
There is an attachment to the error email. In the attachment is a text file containing this message from AT&T's system:
Reporting-MTA: dns;blu0-omc2-s27.blu0.hotmail.com Received-From-MTA: dns;BLU159-W27 Arrival-Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:39:59 -0800 Final-Recipient: rfc822;email@example.com Action: failed Status: 5.5.0 Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Invalid recipient: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
If I try the same thing but send to email@example.com, which is the address for MMS messages (for binary attachments including pictures), then I get a similar message:
Reporting-MTA: dns; schemailmta07.cingularme.com Arrival-Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:43:27 -0600 Received-From-MTA: dns; schemailedgegx01.cingularme.com (172.16.130.170) Final-Recipient: RFC822; <firstname.lastname@example.org> Action: failed Status: 5.1.1 Remote-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Invalid recipient: <email@example.com>
... and I also get this:
This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason: Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server. The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected. Recipient: <firstname.lastname@example.org> Reason: Invalid recipient: <email@example.com> Please reply to <Postmaster@cingularme.com> if you feel this message to be in error.
When I login to myAT&T and send a text message to my phone through the web interface, it works just fine. Also I can send/receive SMS to/from other SMS systems, just fine.
I have contacted AT&T Support by dialing 611. They've reproduced the problem and confirmed that this is an unexpected result. I have a ticket number, and they'll get back to me.
The problem I'm seeing is very similar to problems that have been reported here sporadically by other AT&T wireless users over the years. I found similar reports dating back to 2007. (try googling: "Invalid recipient" txt.att.net ) I never saw much real information as to the resolution to those problems. In two cases I saw responses like: I contacted AT&T support and they provisioned this feature in my wireless account. I don't know what that means and neither did the AT&T Support person I spoke with (who was very sympathetic and professional, by the way).
So I'm not expecting the community to help out on this. I'm just reporting this here so that I can post the solution, when I get it, and help someone else out in the future.
11-19-2012 1:55 PM
When you say new number, how new? Was it just activated today? Just guessing here but I expect this is just a temporary issue because your new number has not yet populated to the server that handles incoming emails. In essence the receiving email server does not recognize the email address:
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Invalid recipient: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
You get the same response when you send to any invalid email address. I don't know how long it takes for new numbers to populate to the email server bu I'd give it at least 24 hours.
11-19-2012 11:19 PM - edited 11-19-2012 11:20 PM
AT&T has disabled the Email-to-SMS gateway as of today, citing spam reduction. The gateway now only works for business and enterprise customers.
Some have mentioned success using mms.att.net, but I imagine that may be disabled soon as well...
11-20-2012 9:56 PM
I stopped receiving SMS texts from the gateway as of November 12, 2012. What is really absurd is that AT&T Unified Messaging (I have it on my business lines) notifications of received voicemails are also not being received and appear to use the same email to SMS gateway. I was told by 3rd level Mobility tech support yesterday afternoon that they were aware of a "widespread" problem, and promised it would be fixed in "24 hours". I'm still waiting......
11-04-2013 7:39 AM
Considering the mms.txt.net instructions and address are still on the AT&T website, I don't understand this claim that it's been disabled to prevent spam. Let people block spam if they want.
The more likely explanation is ... money. AT&T wants you to buy more data and stop using mms.txt.net.
11-04-2013 11:10 AM
Every user can decide for himself/herself whether they want to block e-mail to SMS. The instructions are right here.
Personally, I think it is very important to offer a block because otherwise anyone can e-mail your SMS number and you get dinged for the cost of the message.