Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 19, 2012
1:16:14 PM
View profile
Email-to-SMS with iPhone 5
Edited by Wachoosy on Nov 19, 2012 at 1:20:36 PM

This isn't so much a question as a report of the problem I'm having. Maybe it will help someone else.

I have a new phone, new number, new account.  Just signed up, just activated.  It's an iphone5.

Runs ios6, latest version.

I understood that any email client (like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, any corporate email) could send an SMS to any AT&T subscriber's wireless device by using the address XXXXXXXXXX@txt.att.net, where the X's are replaced by the 10-digit AT&T wireless subscriber's wireless telephone number.

I have another AT&T wireless number, and this works flawlessly.  I also use this to send SMS to my friends and colleagues, who use AT&T Wireless. So I know this "works" normally.

For some reason this does not work for my new phone.  When I send an email to the address corresponding to my own wireless number, I get an error report email from the email system. The error email I get from my outgoing email server (I am using hotmail) says:

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

9876543210@txt.att.net

..where 9876543210 is replaced by my own subscriber number.

There is an attachment to the error email. In the attachment is a text file containing this message from AT&T's system:

Reporting-MTA: dns;blu0-omc2-s27.blu0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BLU159-W27
Arrival-Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:39:59 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;9876543210@txt.att.net
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Invalid recipient: <9876543210@txt.att.net>

If I try the same thing but send to 9876543210@mms.att.net, which is the address for MMS messages (for binary attachments including pictures), then I get a similar message:

Reporting-MTA: dns; schemailmta07.cingularme.com
Arrival-Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:43:27 -0600
Received-From-MTA: dns; schemailedgegx01.cingularme.com (172.16.130.170)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <9876543210@mms.att.net>
Remote-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Invalid recipient: <9876543210@cingularme.com>

... and I also  get this:

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <9876543210@mms.att.net>
    Reason:    Invalid recipient: <9876543210@cingularme.com>

Please reply to <Postmaster@cingularme.com>
if you feel this message to be in error.

When I login to myAT&T and send a text message to my phone through the web interface, it works just fine.  Also I can send/receive SMS to/from other SMS systems, just fine. 

I have contacted AT&T Support by dialing 611.  They've reproduced the problem and confirmed that this is an unexpected result. I have a ticket number, and they'll get back to me.

The problem I'm seeing is very similar to problems that have been reported here sporadically by other AT&T wireless users over the years. I found similar reports dating back to 2007. (try googling:  "Invalid recipient" txt.att.net ) I never saw much real information as to the resolution to those problems. In two cases I saw responses like: I contacted AT&T support and they provisioned this feature in my wireless account.   I don't know what that means and neither did the AT&T Support person I spoke with (who was very sympathetic and professional, by the way).

So I'm not expecting the community to help out on this.  I'm just reporting this here so that I can post the solution, when I get it, and help someone else out in the future.

This isn't so much a question as a report of the problem I'm having. Maybe it will help someone else.

I have a new phone, new number, new account.  Just signed up, just activated.  It's an iphone5.

Runs ios6, latest version.

I understood that any email client (like hotmail, yahoo, gmail, any corporate email) could send an SMS to any AT&T subscriber's wireless device by using the address XXXXXXXXXX@txt.att.net, where the X's are replaced by the 10-digit AT&T wireless subscriber's wireless telephone number.

I have another AT&T wireless number, and this works flawlessly.  I also use this to send SMS to my friends and colleagues, who use AT&T Wireless. So I know this "works" normally.

For some reason this does not work for my new phone.  When I send an email to the address corresponding to my own wireless number, I get an error report email from the email system. The error email I get from my outgoing email server (I am using hotmail) says:

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

9876543210@txt.att.net

..where 9876543210 is replaced by my own subscriber number.

There is an attachment to the error email. In the attachment is a text file containing this message from AT&T's system:

Reporting-MTA: dns;blu0-omc2-s27.blu0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BLU159-W27
Arrival-Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:39:59 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;9876543210@txt.att.net

If I try the same thing but send to 9876543210@mms.att.net, which is the address for MMS messages (for binary attachments including pictures), then I get a similar message:

Reporting-MTA: dns; schemailmta07.cingularme.com
Arrival-Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:43:27 -0600
Received-From-MTA: dns; schemailedgegx01.cingularme.com (172.16.130.170)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <9876543210@mms.att.net>
Remote-MTA: dns; localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Invalid recipient: <9876543210@cingularme.com>

... and I also  get this:

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <9876543210@mms.att.net>
    Reason:    Invalid recipient: <9876543210@cingularme.com>

Please reply to <Postmaster@cingularme.com>
if you feel this message to be in error.

When I login to myAT&T and send a text message to my phone through the web interface, it works just fine.  Also I can send/receive SMS to/from other SMS systems, just fine. 

I have contacted AT&T Support by dialing 611.  They've reproduced the problem and confirmed that this is an unexpected result. I have a ticket number, and they'll get back to me.

The problem I'm seeing is very similar to problems that have been reported here sporadically by other AT&T wireless users over the years. I found similar reports dating back to 2007. (try googling:  "Invalid recipient" txt.att.net ) I never saw much real information as to the resolution to those problems. In two cases I saw responses like: I contacted AT&T support and they provisioned this feature in my wireless account.   I don't know what that means and neither did the AT&T Support person I spoke with (who was very sympathetic and professional, by the way).

So I'm not expecting the community to help out on this.  I'm just reporting this here so that I can post the solution, when I get it, and help someone else out in the future.

Email-to-SMS with iPhone 5

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 1:55:02 PM
(0)
Former Employee

When you say new number, how new? Was it just activated today? Just guessing here but I expect this is just a temporary issue because your new number has not yet populated to the server that handles incoming emails. In essence the receiving email server does not recognize the email address:

You get the same response when you send to any invalid email address. I don't know how long it takes for new numbers to populate to the email server bu I'd give it at least 24 hours.

When you say new number, how new? Was it just activated today? Just guessing here but I expect this is just a temporary issue because your new number has not yet populated to the server that handles incoming emails. In essence the receiving email server does not recognize the email address:

You get the same response when you send to any invalid email address. I don't know how long it takes for new numbers to populate to the email server bu I'd give it at least 24 hours.

Re: Email-to-SMS with iPhone 5

2 of 11 (6,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 19, 2012 11:19:22 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cosmos7 on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:20:49 PM

AT&T has disabled the Email-to-SMS gateway as of today, citing spam reduction. The gateway now only works for business and enterprise customers.

Some have mentioned success using mms.att.net, but I imagine that may be disabled soon as well...

AT&T has disabled the Email-to-SMS gateway as of today, citing spam reduction. The gateway now only works for business and enterprise customers.

Some have mentioned success using mms.att.net, but I imagine that may be disabled soon as well...

[ Edited ]
3 of 11 (6,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 12:06:04 PM
(0)
Guru
It is still working for me sending it to @txt.att.net
It is still working for me sending it to @txt.att.net

4 of 11 (6,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 1:20:34 PM
(0)
Expert
Do you have a link to the online article stating this information?.
Do you have a link to the online article stating this information?.

5 of 11 (6,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2012 9:56:32 PM
(0)
Tutor

I stopped receiving SMS texts from the gateway as of November 12, 2012. What is really absurd is that AT&T Unified Messaging (I have it on my business lines) notifications of received voicemails are also not being received and appear to use the same email to SMS gateway. I was told by 3rd level Mobility tech support yesterday afternoon that they were aware of a "widespread" problem, and promised it would be fixed in "24 hours". I'm still waiting......

I stopped receiving SMS texts from the gateway as of November 12, 2012. What is really absurd is that AT&T Unified Messaging (I have it on my business lines) notifications of received voicemails are also not being received and appear to use the same email to SMS gateway. I was told by 3rd level Mobility tech support yesterday afternoon that they were aware of a "widespread" problem, and promised it would be fixed in "24 hours". I'm still waiting......

6 of 11 (5,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2012 4:32:40 PM
(0)
Scholar
I can still send texts to my phones using the @txt.att.net address.

7 of 11 (5,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2012 9:01:38 AM
(0)
Guru

gphipps wrote:
I just tried and I still can send them too!

gphipps wrote:
I just tried and I still can send them too!

8 of 11 (5,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 24, 2012 6:56:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
I hope they don't disable that option. I use it quite a bit to send messages to my kids from work.
I hope they don't disable that option. I use it quite a bit to send messages to my kids from work.

9 of 11 (5,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 7:39:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

Considering the mms.txt.net instructions and address are still on the AT&T website, I don't understand this claim that it's been disabled to prevent spam.  Let people block spam if they want.

The more likely explanation is ... money.  AT&T wants you to buy more data and stop using mms.txt.net.

Considering the mms.txt.net instructions and address are still on the AT&T website, I don't understand this claim that it's been disabled to prevent spam.  Let people block spam if they want.

The more likely explanation is ... money.  AT&T wants you to buy more data and stop using mms.txt.net.

10 of 11 (2,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 11:10:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

Every user can decide for himself/herself whether they want to block e-mail to SMS. The instructions are right here.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB92125#fbid=abBl9Tta5Pt

Personally, I think it is very important to offer a block because otherwise anyone can e-mail your SMS number and you get dinged for the cost of the message.

Every user can decide for himself/herself whether they want to block e-mail to SMS. The instructions are right here.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB92125#fbid=abBl9Tta5Pt

Personally, I think it is very important to offer a block because otherwise anyone can e-mail your SMS number and you get dinged for the cost of the message.

11 of 11 (2,538 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments