Posted Nov 27, 2011
6:51:13 AM
View profile
Early Termination Fee Waived
Edited by Foxjohn on Nov 27, 2011 at 6:56:19 AM

Anyone have sucess on waiving the fee I have had bad coverage and dropped calls for year and half. Will Att waive the fees so I can  switch for the remaining months They know I am in a light green coverage area I have called before  and complained I only stayed because of iphone

Early Termination Fee Waived

[ Edited ]
21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 27, 2011 9:23:25 PM
(0)
Guru

Sorry to say but the ETF wont be waived.

http://forums.att.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/5647i42265AB3AEBCB54D/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Re: Early Termination Fee Waived

2 of 22 (37,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 9:36:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

I would do some troublshooting with att until your contract is up.  At least troubleshooting is free, but you will need some time on your hands...  Att will only waive the fee if it seems appropriate such as a death in the family.  A network/device issue would not be one being as service is not guaranteed everwhere.

3 of 22 (37,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 12:10:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

OP, I second coolstorybro.  You wrote that you have called and complained, but have you called to get the issue resolved?  I had a problem with dropped calls almost a year ago.  I called in to tech support so that they could fix it, and they did.  I didn't call to complain at any point in time, because there would have been no benefit to it.  There was a benefit to calling for a resolution, as I have only had one dropped call in the nine months since that call to tech support.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 22 (37,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 5:00:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
The chances of getting an ETF waived are slim to none. If you really beg and plead, then they might give in, but it certainly is not going to be an easy task.

Good luck.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 22 (37,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 7:20:11 PM
(0)
Professor
On the positive side, the ETF is not a penalty. You are in no way short changed by AT&T. Also, you will save by not paying AT&T for services you cannot get.

6 of 22 (37,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2011 11:18:29 PM
(0)
Employee

the ETF exists only because you got your phone ad a discounted price, you're contract is not for good service or even service at all. you can easily pass your phone to someone else to get the money to pay your ETF, 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 22 (37,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 6:26:17 PM
(0)
Contributor

That is a bunch of crap!  I signed with att and had good service with 3 bars for four months then suddenly dropped down to 0-1 or at best two bars.  The contract works both way, they are suppose to provide service that is being paid for.  Something most certainly happend to the service.  There is absolutely no reason for me to have spent 100+ hours on the phone had every bit of trouble shooting plus spending extra money on a junk microcell that I should still be held in that contract!  They should not be ripping people off for their high service which is not worth a penny of it. 

8 of 22 (37,101 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2011 8:15:49 PM
(0)
Professor

Don't let them rip you off. If you have put that much effort without AT&T resolving the issue, it's time to switch to another carrier.

9 of 22 (37,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:01:35 AM
(0)
Guru
It's hard to get the fees waived.

10 of 22 (37,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2011 7:44:29 AM
(0)
Employee

hubberducki wrote:

That is a bunch of crap!  I signed with att and had good service with 3 bars for four months then suddenly dropped down to 0-1 or at best two bars.  The contract works both way, they are suppose to provide service that is being paid for.  Something most certainly happend to the service.  There is absolutely no reason for me to have spent 100+ hours on the phone had every bit of trouble shooting plus spending extra money on a junk microcell that I should still be held in that contract!  They should not be ripping people off for their high service which is not worth a penny of it. 

Don't take any discounts on equipment and pay full price, no contract required. That way if you're not happy you can cancel anytime and move on.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 22 (37,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 7:50:59 AM
(0)
Tutor

I would love to leave ATT with a passion. I have a cell phone, that drops calls. turns off  by itself. My customers can't hear a word I am saying. Have to switch to speakerphone, real professional right? Tech service gave me a millions ways to fix it none work. I can't operate my business properly. You guys are a joke. I was better off with Metro PCS. At least then I was not paying a  premium price, for poor service.

12 of 22 (37,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 10:38:14 AM
(0)
Professor
Paying the ETF is in the contract, and it's not a rip off. You can avoid paying for poor service by switching carrier. If I paid the full non commitment price of $550 without a contract and you paid $200 with a two year contract but with a $300 ETF, that's your choice. The ETF is unconditional but is waived sometimes, though not usually. I don't think I would be ripped off if I paid $350 more than the guy who chose the two year contract.

13 of 22 (37,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 11:49:27 AM
(0)
Professor
at&t lets you out of your contract within 30 days for bad service. It looks like you decided in that time frame that it was worth the bad coverage to keep the Jesus phone. It seems it was your choice to value the device over the service.

14 of 22 (37,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 2:30:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

FredW wrote:
at&t lets you out of your contract within 30 days for bad service. It looks like you decided in that time frame that it was worth the bad coverage to keep the Jesus phone. It seems it was your choice to value the device over the service.
During the poster's time with AT&T, maybe the service was great for the first month and then slowly began to decline as times went on outside of the 30-day buyer's remorse period. I've read plenty of scenarios on this Forum where the customers' service worked great for the first month and then gradually got worse one or two months later. Maybe that's what happened.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

15 of 22 (37,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2011 4:15:22 PM
(0)
Professor

Yes that's what happened in many cases. One key factor may be the signal margin. If the customer starts out with only 3 bars, there is not much of a signal margin to get down to 2 bars or less, so that a loss of 1 signal bar may prove unacceptable. In my experience, when it's down to 2 bars, calls can drop easily by just a slight change in physical location. If the customer started out with 5 bars, there would be a good margin for service. Reading bars can be tricky because the bars on handsets are scaled differently by manufacturers. I simply use bars for easy explanation.

For accurate readings, one will need to use signal strength in dBm, which is readily found in many phones. You would wish that there would be a guide to help customers assess service quality, using the dBm readings, and to help customers decide whether or not to keep the phone past the first 30 days. Such a guide would greatly reduce buyer remorse after the first 30 days.

16 of 22 (37,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 10:32:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

Att is a rippoff. Other companies offer the same service for less with no activation fees. They themselves have spinnoff companies that charge a lot less. Why do I have to pay for activation everytime I sign up for a new contract? This a bunch of crap. My signal has dropped from 3 bars to almost none in my area and their explanation that their engineers are working to fix the problem (for the past 3 years).

17 of 22 (30,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2013 12:15:14 PM
(0)
Expert

sum1 wrote:

Att is a rippoff. Other companies offer the same service for less with no activation fees. They themselves have spinnoff companies that charge a lot less. Why do I have to pay for activation everytime I sign up for a new contract? This a bunch of crap. My signal has dropped from 3 bars to almost none in my area and their explanation that their engineers are working to fix the problem (for the past 3 years).

those are not spinoffs they are buying bandwidth from att and other carriers and using it for their customers - it is cheaper because those companies on pay for the bandwidth, they don;t have to worry about paying for infrastructure, development, equipment to run a wireless provider, they jusy pay the real carrier to rent some of their tower space - guess what would happen to your cellphone serivce if negotiations fell through on contract negotiation when the previous contract agreement falls through? Give you a hint, have you seen a national hockey league game this year? the same exact thing will happen

18 of 22 (29,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2013 11:15:15 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hi Friends,

My Brother have purchased Nokia Lumia 920 with AT&T contract a month back. But now he is moving to India. So he wants to break the contract. Could anyone help us to know how to break the contract and what will be the cost for it without returning the device. We would like to use Nokia lumia 920 in India. So we will keep the device with us but wants to break the contract alone.

Thanks & Regards,

Govarthan

19 of 22 (24,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 23, 2013 3:30:06 AM
(0)
Expert

Govarthansiva wrote:
Hi Friends,

My Brother have purchased Nokia Lumia 920 with AT&T contract a month back. But now he is moving to India. So he wants to break the contract. Could anyone help us to know how to break the contract and what will be the cost for it without returning the device. We would like to use Nokia lumia 920 in India. So we will keep the device with us but wants to break the contract alone.

Thanks & Regards,

Govarthan

The etf on a smartphone is 325.00 - (10.00 * number fo completed billing cycles). If your contract is a month old, the etf will be 315.00. The add the final bill which will not be pro-rated. The device cannot be returned since it is past the 14 day buyers remorse. If I recall correctly the Luminia 920 is a new device, it may not be eligible for unlock for a period of time that can be between 6 and 12 months after release.

20 of 22 (24,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 1:23:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

Stay away from AT&T..leave..run as fast as you can ....after over 10 years of being with them I finally had to leave due to financial problems and go to a cheaper service only for them to pretty much tell me to go f++k myself when asking that a couple hundred dollars in early termination fees be waived. This is how they treat long term clients. Well I was willing to pay my usage fees now I guess the go f++k yourself is back at you AT&T!!

21 of 22 (8,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2013 1:31:58 PM
(0)
Expert

marise1954 wrote:

Stay away from AT&T..leave..run as fast as you can ....after over 10 years of being with them I finally had to leave due to financial problems and go to a cheaper service only for them to pretty much tell me to go  myself when asking that a couple hundred dollars in early termination fees be waived. This is how they treat long term clients. Well I was willing to pay my usage fees now I guess the go  yourself is back at you AT&T!!

No matter where you go, there you are - all the carriers will do this, it is the penalty for breaking the contract that you signed for the subsidized phone.

22 of 22 (8,894 Views)