Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 5, 2014
6:21:47 AM
View profile
Double Billing while changing plans is annoying

I changed my Mobile Share Plan from 4Gb to 1Gb. On the date of change I was charged for both 4Gb plan and 1Gb plan. How can one use both the plans on the same day is beyond me. I know it is only a few dollars (for 2 lines) but this is exactly the kind of situation that brings such disrepute to AT&T and I do not know why AT&T indulges in such practices.

Any ideas anyone?

I changed my Mobile Share Plan from 4Gb to 1Gb. On the date of change I was charged for both 4Gb plan and 1Gb plan. How can one use both the plans on the same day is beyond me. I know it is only a few dollars (for 2 lines) but this is exactly the kind of situation that brings such disrepute to AT&T and I do not know why AT&T indulges in such practices.

Any ideas anyone?

Double Billing while changing plans is annoying

11 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 7:19:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Well what happens when you change the plan immediately is that you receive a prorated credit back to you. So I had a $30 voice plan and changed it on Day 10 of the billing cycle, I would be charged $10 (because I used up these days on this plan) and a $20 credit since I changed the plan and did not use these days. So you should be seeing a credit on your bill.

However, you do get charged in advance so that explains why you see you're being charged for the new plan saw well!

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

Well what happens when you change the plan immediately is that you receive a prorated credit back to you. So I had a $30 voice plan and changed it on Day 10 of the billing cycle, I would be charged $10 (because I used up these days on this plan) and a $20 credit since I changed the plan and did not use these days. So you should be seeing a credit on your bill.

However, you do get charged in advance so that explains why you see you're being charged for the new plan saw well!

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Double Billing while changing plans is annoying

2 of 12 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 7:46:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

i thinnk you missed my point altogether. So here is more info:

Change plan on say 1/10 - Was billed for original plan till 1/10

Was billed for new plan from 1/10 as well not 1/11

So, for 1/10 I was billed for both plans which really does not make any sense.

i thinnk you missed my point altogether. So here is more info:

Change plan on say 1/10 - Was billed for original plan till 1/10

Was billed for new plan from 1/10 as well not 1/11

So, for 1/10 I was billed for both plans which really does not make any sense.

3 of 12 (1,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:01:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Ah ok, I see! It does kinda make sense honestly.

Using your example, you had this old plan up until 1/10. You would still get charged because the plan was in effect at this time.

Now on that same day you switched it. So the plan began on 1/10. You would be charged for this day because that's when it began initially. The plan would also be prorated so you wouldn't be paying full price for it at this time, only the days remaining on your billing cycle + next month (since you pay in advance).

hope that makes sense!

~Sunshine Smiley Happy

Ah ok, I see! It does kinda make sense honestly.

Using your example, you had this old plan up until 1/10. You would still get charged because the plan was in effect at this time.

Now on that same day you switched it. So the plan began on 1/10. You would be charged for this day because that's when it began initially. The plan would also be prorated so you wouldn't be paying full price for it at this time, only the days remaining on your billing cycle + next month (since you pay in advance).

hope that makes sense!

~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (1,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:14:05 AM
(0)
Teacher

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, since you do not think that there is anything wrong to bill a customer for two different plans for the same day. CSR could have easily applied the new plan from the next day.

Why would anyone think that someone needs to be enrolled in 2 plans for same day and pay for 2 different plans for the same day is beyond me but that is your opinion and I choose to disagree. This is simply bad business practice.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, since you do not think that there is anything wrong to bill a customer for two different plans for the same day. CSR could have easily applied the new plan from the next day.

Why would anyone think that someone needs to be enrolled in 2 plans for same day and pay for 2 different plans for the same day is beyond me but that is your opinion and I choose to disagree. This is simply bad business practice.

5 of 12 (1,041 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:26:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

nkaufman wrote:

You can call in to customer care; they should adjust this for you.  Even though the system is set up the way that Evandela described it and you (and I) have experienced, it is technically incorrect.  If the system needs to compute pro rata charges down to the minute to avoid having a customer paying for two data plans at one time, then that change needs to be made.

Also, some store reps will make this adjustment for you.

nkaufman wrote:

You can call in to customer care; they should adjust this for you.  Even though the system is set up the way that Evandela described it and you (and I) have experienced, it is technically incorrect.  If the system needs to compute pro rata charges down to the minute to avoid having a customer paying for two data plans at one time, then that change needs to be made.

Also, some store reps will make this adjustment for you.

6 of 12 (1,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 10:56:02 PM
(0)
Guru

This is very common. It's hard to explain this to the reps over the phone. They just say it's the prorations. Takes a while for them to see it. 

This is very common. It's hard to explain this to the reps over the phone. They just say it's the prorations. Takes a while for them to see it. 

7 of 12 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2014 5:41:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

ujmnz wrote:

I agree.  I had to go to the customer service supervisor, who still tried to treat me as if I don't understand pro rata charges.  He was going to credit me more than I should have been credited but I told him to credit only the amount that would bring me back to the normal $50 charge that I would have paid had I not changed my phone. 

I used to compute pro rata charges for my customers in a previous job.  We were provided tables to compute these charges; due to excessive rounding, the tables would overcharge the customer by three cents.  I had a problem with this and always corrected the charge before I presented it to the customer in the first place.  Yes, I expect this level of service as a customer, as well.

ujmnz wrote:

I agree.  I had to go to the customer service supervisor, who still tried to treat me as if I don't understand pro rata charges.  He was going to credit me more than I should have been credited but I told him to credit only the amount that would bring me back to the normal $50 charge that I would have paid had I not changed my phone. 

I used to compute pro rata charges for my customers in a previous job.  We were provided tables to compute these charges; due to excessive rounding, the tables would overcharge the customer by three cents.  I had a problem with this and always corrected the charge before I presented it to the customer in the first place.  Yes, I expect this level of service as a customer, as well.

8 of 12 (947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 5:17:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

I do not know if this is a system issue or a training issue. The system should be smart enough to point out to the service rep that there is dual service plan being applied for same day.

But such a practice in my opinion does not bring in as much money for AT&T but what it does is add to the list of bad customer service issues. So why does AT&T not handle this quickly is beyond me.

So surprised that not one AT&T employee has chosen to respond to this post yet.

I do not know if this is a system issue or a training issue. The system should be smart enough to point out to the service rep that there is dual service plan being applied for same day.

But such a practice in my opinion does not bring in as much money for AT&T but what it does is add to the list of bad customer service issues. So why does AT&T not handle this quickly is beyond me.

So surprised that not one AT&T employee has chosen to respond to this post yet.

9 of 12 (915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 6:57:15 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by Rich Fray on Feb 8, 2014 at 7:17:43 AM

Was not aware this occurs. Never had a customer ask about it either. When we do a plan change, our tablets just show the effective date of plan change as that day. It's not like we take one plan off and put another on. We hit a plan change link and pick a new plan....

and to add to that, I had my family's plan changed to new Mobile Share Value plan and will be taking a close look at my next bill specifically looking for this issue...

Was not aware this occurs. Never had a customer ask about it either. When we do a plan change, our tablets just show the effective date of plan change as that day. It's not like we take one plan off and put another on. We hit a plan change link and pick a new plan....

and to add to that, I had my family's plan changed to new Mobile Share Value plan and will be taking a close look at my next bill specifically looking for this issue...

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
10 of 12 (903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 8:05:07 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by ujmnz on Feb 8, 2014 at 8:11:06 AM

It's always very small amounts, depends on what changes. For example, from my bill back in April

8. DataPro 3GB for Smartphone 4G LTE with                                   4.00
Visual Voicemail
This plan is $30.00 per month. You added this plan
on 04/07. You are charged at the new plan rate
from 04/07 - 04/10

Added 04/09
9. DataPlus 300MB for Smartphone 4G LTE with                             1.33
Visual Voice mail
This plan is $20.00 per month. You added this plan
on 04/09. You are charged at the new plan rate
from 04/09 - 04/10.
Removed 04/10
10. DataPro 3GB for Smartphone 4G LTE with                                1.00CR
Visual Voicemail
This plan is $30.00 per month. You removed this
plan on 04/10. You received a credit for the days
you did not use this plan 04/10 - 04/10.

The line was activated on 4/7, so i got charged the 3gb plan from 4/7 to 4/10 for $4, since it's inclusive, which is fine. From 4/9 to 4/10, I got charged for new plan for $1.33 for 2 days, which is also fine. But, I only got a refund for 1 day for my old plan from 4/10 to 4/10. The billing cycle ends on 4/10.

There were a total of 4 days from 4/7 to 4/10. I was charged for the 3gb plan for 4 of those days and refunded 1 day for total of $3 for 3 days. And i was charged for the 300 mb plan for 2 of those days for total of $1.33 (20/30*2days =1.33). That's charges for 5 days in a 4 day period. 

This is just one small example, but I've seen it many times with other charges. 

It's always very small amounts, depends on what changes. For example, from my bill back in April

8. DataPro 3GB for Smartphone 4G LTE with                                   4.00
Visual Voicemail
This plan is $30.00 per month. You added this plan
on 04/07. You are charged at the new plan rate
from 04/07 - 04/10

Added 04/09
9. DataPlus 300MB for Smartphone 4G LTE with                             1.33
Visual Voice mail
This plan is $20.00 per month. You added this plan
on 04/09. You are charged at the new plan rate
from 04/09 - 04/10.
Removed 04/10
10. DataPro 3GB for Smartphone 4G LTE with                                1.00CR
Visual Voicemail
This plan is $30.00 per month. You removed this
plan on 04/10. You received a credit for the days
you did not use this plan 04/10 - 04/10.

The line was activated on 4/7, so i got charged the 3gb plan from 4/7 to 4/10 for $4, since it's inclusive, which is fine. From 4/9 to 4/10, I got charged for new plan for $1.33 for 2 days, which is also fine. But, I only got a refund for 1 day for my old plan from 4/10 to 4/10. The billing cycle ends on 4/10.

There were a total of 4 days from 4/7 to 4/10. I was charged for the 3gb plan for 4 of those days and refunded 1 day for total of $3 for 3 days. And i was charged for the 300 mb plan for 2 of those days for total of $1.33 (20/30*2days =1.33). That's charges for 5 days in a 4 day period. 

This is just one small example, but I've seen it many times with other charges. 

[ Edited ]
11 of 12 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2014 8:38:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Rich Fray wrote:

This has been happening for years now.  The last time it happened to me was when I bought the BlackBerry Z10 from Best Buy.  It seems that when the cashier entered the IMEI of the Z10, it changed me to a BlackBerry data plan, which is another issue in of itself as BB10 devices should use the same Smartphone data plan that Android devices do, not the legacy BlackBerry data plan.  It was exacerbated because I switched back to an Android device less than a week later, so I had two double-charges for that month.

This had happened to me in the past when switching plans like this, so I knew to look for it.  Part of the problem comes from AT&T being very slow to update systems to accommodate new things such as BB10 vs. legacy BlackBerry, as well as setting the system to end one data plan before starting a new data plan and to charge accordingly.

Rich Fray wrote:

This has been happening for years now.  The last time it happened to me was when I bought the BlackBerry Z10 from Best Buy.  It seems that when the cashier entered the IMEI of the Z10, it changed me to a BlackBerry data plan, which is another issue in of itself as BB10 devices should use the same Smartphone data plan that Android devices do, not the legacy BlackBerry data plan.  It was exacerbated because I switched back to an Android device less than a week later, so I had two double-charges for that month.

This had happened to me in the past when switching plans like this, so I knew to look for it.  Part of the problem comes from AT&T being very slow to update systems to accommodate new things such as BB10 vs. legacy BlackBerry, as well as setting the system to end one data plan before starting a new data plan and to charge accordingly.

12 of 12 (885 Views)