Ask a question

Posted Sep 3, 2013
    12:45:53 PM
    View profile
    Does buying retail-priced iPhone extend contract?

I am 1 year into my 2-year iPhone 5 contract.  No plans on leaving AT&T.  

Just wondering if I sell the 5 and buy a full-price/unsubsidized iPhone 5S (or whatever the new one will be called) -- will there be no effect on my contract?  In other words, would I still qualify for a fully discounted iPhone 6 (or whatever) upgrade as scheduled, next year?

Does buying retail-priced iPhone extend contract?

5 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (5)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 3, 2013 1:27:59 PM
    (0)
    Expert

nycSN wrote:

I am 1 year into my 2-year iPhone 5 contract.  No plans on leaving AT&T.  

Just wondering if I sell the 5 and buy a full-price/unsubsidized iPhone 5S (or whatever the new one will be called) -- will there be no effect on my contract?  In other words, would I still qualify for a fully discounted iPhone 6 (or whatever) upgrade as scheduled, next year?

If you pay full retail it will not affect your contract. I would suggest 2 things and 1 caveat

1. don;t sell your old phone until you have your new one physically in your hand

2. If you pay full retail buy it from the Apple store and make sure you ask for the factory unlocked one, will make it easier to sell when you want to get rid of it.

3. Your current iphone 5 will not be eligible for a att unlock until the end of the 2 year agreement that you got back into when you got the subsidized iphone 5, the pruchaser will not be able to get it unlocked through att at all.

Re: Does buying retail-priced iPhone extend contract?

2 of 6 (1,264 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 3, 2013 6:16:42 PM
    (0)
    Contributor
    Thanks, I think I understand. So I should:

1. Buy iPhone 5S from Apple unlocked and SIM-free.
    2. Remove my iPhone 5 SIM and stick it in the 5S.
    3. Sell the iPhone 5 SIM-free, though it is still locked to AT&T for another year (buyer would presumably stick in his or her own AT&T SIM).
    4. AT&T goes by my SIM, so my contract end date is still late 2014.

3 of 6 (1,215 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 4, 2013 10:50:06 AM
    (0)
    Employee

I liked when @wingrider01 stated "Don't sell your old phone until you have your new one.." I agreed with Him -- and my reasons are:

• Whenever you get the new iPhone(5s, 5c, 6, or whatever) and switch your SIMS card into it. You will be required to provide your IMEI for the new phone, to get your service with the new phone.

Once this is done,your old iPhone will not be listed in the account as the active device for your mobile number. Which will make your device eligible to be unlocked -- An unlocked iPhone sells quicker!

I'll double-check for you and let you know if that's 100% -- If no one agrees with me here! Smiley Happy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (1,175 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 4, 2013 10:53:43 AM
    (0)
    Employee

To get the IMEI number from your iPhone , you will need to go to Settings > General > About . You also have the option to dial (*#06#). This is a option for all Phones to retrieve their IMEI.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (1,174 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 4, 2013 10:58:13 AM
    (0)
    Expert

dtsxonxchoppas wrote:

I liked when @wingrider01 stated "Don't sell your old phone until you have your new one.." I agreed with Him -- and my reasons are:

• Whenever you get the new iPhone(5s, 5c, 6, or whatever) and switch your SIMS card into it. You will be required to provide your IMEI for the new phone, to get your service with the new phone.

Once this is done,your old iPhone will not be listed in the account as the active device for your mobile number. Which will make your device eligible to be unlocked -- An unlocked iPhone sells quicker!

I'll double-check for you and let you know if that's 100% -- If no one agrees with me here! Smiley Happy

they do not unlock a iphone until after the 2 year contract is completed.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-Community-Discussion/iPhone-Unlock-Information/m-p/3260825#U3260825

If you have an iPhone you'd like to unlock, please review the eligibility requirements located here prior to posting a message. 

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock is:
      • a current AT&T customer or
      • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
    • The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network
    • All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfiedand
    • The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

6 of 6 (1,172 Views)