Does anybody use a Nokia Symbian OS phone without a Data Plan

Does anybody use a Nokia Symbian OS phone without a Data Plan

Looking at getting a Nokia N8, runs Symbian^3 upgradeable to Symbian Belle. Seems that there are some posts where people seem to have no issues using these phones as dumbphones and have even hooked it up to the dumbphone data plans(not sure if I even need that). Most of them are a little old though, but the consensus is that Symbian is not a smart phone OS according to ATT and I should be good.

wondering if anyone is still using one on a dumb phone contract. I'd like the camera and maybe the wifi, but not interested in paying for or using the data plan. It sucks that feature phone user's cant get any cool phones, but I suppose we are few and far between.

Message 1 of 9 (1,133 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Does anybody use a Nokia Symbian OS phone without a Data Plan

I think AT&T has finally caught on to that. I know someone who's been using a Nokia Symbian phone for about two years without a smartphone data plan, but this past summer AT&T has finally added one.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (1,094 Views)

It didn't happen to happen when he updated OS's? they put out a refress on symbian around that time. Wondering if I could get away with it if I dont do the upgrade. I want wifi, but dont want to pay for data.

Message 3 of 9 (1,061 Views)
Expert

sassafrassquatch wrote:

It didn't happen to happen when he updated OS's? they put out a refress on symbian around that time. Wondering if I could get away with it if I dont do the upgrade. I want wifi, but dont want to pay for data.

so get a gophone plan and not worry about how to violate the terms of service on the contract. The figure it out they will apply the data plan anyway to bring you in line with the agreement you signed

Message 4 of 9 (1,002 Views)

Well, the contract says something along the line's of a phone that requires data to work is a smartphone. Well, I got the Nokia N8, and it is basically a feature phone with wifi. Especially compared to today's smartphones it's a piece of junk and lives pretty happily without a data connection. In fact a lot of the OS is clearly designed to use as little to no data as possible.

I'm not trying to get away with anything here, the fact is there are many feature phone users who would like a feature of a smart phone(nicer touch screen, nicer camera) but really dont want any of the smart parts of it. They are immensly broad in their definition of a smart phone and it's clearly a way to get more money out of people.

So I had them block data to my dumbphone and then stuck the sim into the nokia about a week ago. So far they show it as an unknown phone. I'm debating putting data back on so I can send MMS, but I'm worried that might help them Identify my phone. Anybody know if the 2 are related? and how long does it typically take for them to detect a phone on the network.?

Message 5 of 9 (906 Views)
Expert

sassafrassquatch wrote:

Well, the contract says something along the line's of a phone that requires data to work is a smartphone. Well, I got the Nokia N8, and it is basically a feature phone with wifi. Especially compared to today's smartphones it's a piece of junk and lives pretty happily without a data connection. In fact a lot of the OS is clearly designed to use as little to no data as possible.

I'm not trying to get away with anything here, the fact is there are many feature phone users who would like a feature of a smart phone(nicer touch screen, nicer camera) but really dont want any of the smart parts of it. They are immensly broad in their definition of a smart phone and it's clearly a way to get more money out of people.

So I had them block data to my dumbphone and then stuck the sim into the nokia about a week ago. So far they show it as an unknown phone. I'm debating putting data back on so I can send MMS, but I'm worried that might help them Identify my phone. Anybody know if the 2 are related? and how long does it typically take for them to detect a phone on the network.?

The N8 is a fully functional smartphone running the Symbian 3 OS. Symbian is an open-source (EPL) mobile operating system (OS) and computing platform designed for smartphones and currently maintained by Accenture. Symbian was originally developed by Symbian Ltd.,as a descendant of Psion's EPOC and runs exclusively on ARM processors, although an unreleased x86 port existed. The current form of Symbian is an open-source platform developed by Symbian Foundation in 2009, as the successor of the original Symbian OS. Symbian was used by many major mobile phone brands, like Samsung, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, and above all by Nokia. It was the most popular smartphone OS on a worldwide average until the end of 2010, when it was overtaken by Android.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n8-3252.php

Bottom linw - if detected a data plan will be added to your account

Message 6 of 9 (900 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

sassafrassquatch wrote:

Nobody knows. Could be days, could be years. It's your gamble.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 9 (870 Views)

Fair enough, So far so good. I dont expect it to last forever, but hope it will work untill I decide to plunk down the cash for a smartphone. I dont see that happening soon though.

Message 8 of 9 (786 Views)
Expert

sassafrassquatch wrote:

Fair enough, So far so good. I dont expect it to last forever, but hope it will work untill I decide to plunk down the cash for a smartphone. I dont see that happening soon though.

you already have a smartphone that is generations out of date

Message 9 of 9 (784 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.