Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 11, 2013
1:36:52 PM
View profile
Does Family Plan require a 2 year contract for a new line even if I don't buy a phone?

I am planning on switching from T-mobile to AT&T for my family but in two stages.  First get my son on with an individual plan and a 2-yr agreement since he will be purchasing an Iphone.  Then my husband and myself will get on the plan two months later and convert it to a Family Plan.  We want to keep our two phones which I think will be compatible since they are both GSM and 3G.

But will my husband and my lines be subject to a 2 yr contract, even if we don't buy a contract phone?

Different AT&T reps have told me that I will not be under contract.  However the website description implies that a 2 yr contract is required and this is stated in the Wireless Customer Agreement: "If applicable to your plan, FamilyTalk may require up to a two-year Service Commitment for each line.", no mention of phone purchase.

I am planning on switching from T-mobile to AT&T for my family but in two stages.  First get my son on with an individual plan and a 2-yr agreement since he will be purchasing an Iphone.  Then my husband and myself will get on the plan two months later and convert it to a Family Plan.  We want to keep our two phones which I think will be compatible since they are both GSM and 3G.

But will my husband and my lines be subject to a 2 yr contract, even if we don't buy a contract phone?

Different AT&T reps have told me that I will not be under contract.  However the website description implies that a 2 yr contract is required and this is stated in the Wireless Customer Agreement: "If applicable to your plan, FamilyTalk may require up to a two-year Service Commitment for each line.", no mention of phone purchase.

Does Family Plan require a 2 year contract for a new line even if I don't buy a phone?

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 6:35:18 PM
(0)
Employee

I know that in a corporate store you can add a line no commitment if you already own the device, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. 

First, make sure your phones are unlocked. Even though it's a GSM phone, if it's locked to the T-Mobile network, you will not be able to bring it with you to AT&T. If your phone is locked, it might be best to pick out a new phone. With LTE technology, you can get speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.

Also, if you take advantage of any sort of employee / student discount, you may be required to start each line with a 2-year commitment per the business agreement with the company. I've come across this myself in the past with a student discount through my university.

I know that in a corporate store you can add a line no commitment if you already own the device, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. 

First, make sure your phones are unlocked. Even though it's a GSM phone, if it's locked to the T-Mobile network, you will not be able to bring it with you to AT&T. If your phone is locked, it might be best to pick out a new phone. With LTE technology, you can get speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.

Also, if you take advantage of any sort of employee / student discount, you may be required to start each line with a 2-year commitment per the business agreement with the company. I've come across this myself in the past with a student discount through my university.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Does Family Plan require a 2 year contract for a new line even if I don't buy a phone?

2 of 2 (927 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments