Does Family Plan require a 2 year contract for a new line even if I don't buy a phone?

Voyager

Does Family Plan require a 2 year contract for a new line even if I don't buy a phone?

I am planning on switching from T-mobile to AT&T for my family but in two stages.  First get my son on with an individual plan and a 2-yr agreement since he will be purchasing an Iphone.  Then my husband and myself will get on the plan two months later and convert it to a Family Plan.  We want to keep our two phones which I think will be compatible since they are both GSM and 3G.

But will my husband and my lines be subject to a 2 yr contract, even if we don't buy a contract phone?

Different AT&T reps have told me that I will not be under contract.  However the website description implies that a 2 yr contract is required and this is stated in the Wireless Customer Agreement: "If applicable to your plan, FamilyTalk may require up to a two-year Service Commitment for each line.", no mention of phone purchase.

Message 1 of 2
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Does Family Plan require a 2 year contract for a new line even if I don't buy a phone?

I know that in a corporate store you can add a line no commitment if you already own the device, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. 

First, make sure your phones are unlocked. Even though it's a GSM phone, if it's locked to the T-Mobile network, you will not be able to bring it with you to AT&T. If your phone is locked, it might be best to pick out a new phone. With LTE technology, you can get speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.

Also, if you take advantage of any sort of employee / student discount, you may be required to start each line with a 2-year commitment per the business agreement with the company. I've come across this myself in the past with a student discount through my university.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 2
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support