Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 18, 2011
11:30:31 PM
View profile
Does ATT sell your number?

With Verizon for many years and maybe received 3-4 cold sales calls during the whole time.  Switched to ATT 4 ish months ago and it seems now we are on 2-3 cold call list.  We are getting a call a week at least on each phone.   Its on all three of our cell phones and one of them is very limited on usage.  The limited used phone calls maybe 4 people and doesn't use the internet.

So why does this happen or will I be transferred to a rep who cannot help me?

With Verizon for many years and maybe received 3-4 cold sales calls during the whole time.  Switched to ATT 4 ish months ago and it seems now we are on 2-3 cold call list.  We are getting a call a week at least on each phone.   Its on all three of our cell phones and one of them is very limited on usage.  The limited used phone calls maybe 4 people and doesn't use the internet.

So why does this happen or will I be transferred to a rep who cannot help me?

http://www.bbb.org/atlanta/business-reviews/telephone-companies/atandt-in-atlanta-ga-7935

Does ATT sell your number?

32 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(32)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2013 3:46:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can CONCUR.  AT&T does sell your unlisted phone number.  It happened to me today.  I received a call from a security company.  I asked the lady where and how she got my unlisted phone number from.  She said that my phone company and her company have an agreement that they would receive any new phone numbers that are activated.  I had bad experience in the past with my old phone number.  I changed the number and paid for unlisting my number.  I never give out my phone number.  I always give out my cell phone number instead whenever appropriate.  I don't even remember my own new home phone number.  I tried calling AT&T and talked to the representative.  She said that some how these people obtained my home phone number.  Instead of helping me out, she also tried selling me services to protect my home phone number from the public.  It's such an irony that AT&T representative tried selling me some services while the unlisting services that I've been paying for since I have had my new home phone number does not.  Such a CRAP!

I can CONCUR.  AT&T does sell your unlisted phone number.  It happened to me today.  I received a call from a security company.  I asked the lady where and how she got my unlisted phone number from.  She said that my phone company and her company have an agreement that they would receive any new phone numbers that are activated.  I had bad experience in the past with my old phone number.  I changed the number and paid for unlisting my number.  I never give out my phone number.  I always give out my cell phone number instead whenever appropriate.  I don't even remember my own new home phone number.  I tried calling AT&T and talked to the representative.  She said that some how these people obtained my home phone number.  Instead of helping me out, she also tried selling me services to protect my home phone number from the public.  It's such an irony that AT&T representative tried selling me some services while the unlisting services that I've been paying for since I have had my new home phone number does not.  Such a CRAP!

Re: Does ATT sell your number?

31 of 33 (187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:34:17 AM
(0)
Expert

MySweetHome wrote:

you have never in your life applied for a credit card that required to give you number, never filled out a survey the asked for your number, never replied to a free offer that required your phone number, never joined a reward club that asked for your number or anything that asked for your phone number in your life? That is where they got your number, not att. Your phone number is easy to obtain without any carrier "selling" your number to a 3rd party.

MySweetHome wrote:

you have never in your life applied for a credit card that required to give you number, never filled out a survey the asked for your number, never replied to a free offer that required your phone number, never joined a reward club that asked for your number or anything that asked for your phone number in your life? That is where they got your number, not att. Your phone number is easy to obtain without any carrier "selling" your number to a 3rd party.

32 of 33 (178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 2:00:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

This exact thing happened to me.  I had to get a landline for my security gate and my service with AT&T was just activated on Monday September 23rd, 2013.  I too paid for the additional charge to have my number unlisted.  As of today, Wednesday 25th, 2013, I have received 12 telemarketing calls, including 2 from ADT, who asked for my name and said that my phone service provided them with my number.  I use this home phone for no other reason than to open my gate and have not listed the number on anything.  In fact, my gate has not even been activated with it yet.  The fact that all telemarketers asked for me by name and admitted to receiving my number from my phone provider makes me sick.

I too contacted AT&T and asked for a manager.  I believe that they wanted me to not be put through and the connection literally rang for 5 straight minutes.  I refused to let these people off the hook and would force them to answer.  The manager that answered gave me the same speach about not selling our numbers and try to offer me other options.  He said he would give me a new number.  I asked, how it would help, since  clearly it didn't with the first number.  The telemarkets were not asking for a Mr. or Mrs, they were asking for me by name.  Then, he said he would do some investigating and get back to me in 24 to 48 hours.  I asked for his name and direct line.  He would only give me his first name (Josh) and said he did not have a direct line.  I am seriously going to file a complaint with the BBB tomorrow and call legal about this.  This is an outrage and I have proof that this disgrace is truly going on at AT&T.

This exact thing happened to me.  I had to get a landline for my security gate and my service with AT&T was just activated on Monday September 23rd, 2013.  I too paid for the additional charge to have my number unlisted.  As of today, Wednesday 25th, 2013, I have received 12 telemarketing calls, including 2 from ADT, who asked for my name and said that my phone service provided them with my number.  I use this home phone for no other reason than to open my gate and have not listed the number on anything.  In fact, my gate has not even been activated with it yet.  The fact that all telemarketers asked for me by name and admitted to receiving my number from my phone provider makes me sick.

I too contacted AT&T and asked for a manager.  I believe that they wanted me to not be put through and the connection literally rang for 5 straight minutes.  I refused to let these people off the hook and would force them to answer.  The manager that answered gave me the same speach about not selling our numbers and try to offer me other options.  He said he would give me a new number.  I asked, how it would help, since  clearly it didn't with the first number.  The telemarkets were not asking for a Mr. or Mrs, they were asking for me by name.  Then, he said he would do some investigating and get back to me in 24 to 48 hours.  I asked for his name and direct line.  He would only give me his first name (Josh) and said he did not have a direct line.  I am seriously going to file a complaint with the BBB tomorrow and call legal about this.  This is an outrage and I have proof that this disgrace is truly going on at AT&T.

33 of 33 (139 Views)