Does ATT sell your number?

Scholar

Does ATT sell your number?

With Verizon for many years and maybe received 3-4 cold sales calls during the whole time.  Switched to ATT 4 ish months ago and it seems now we are on 2-3 cold call list.  We are getting a call a week at least on each phone.   Its on all three of our cell phones and one of them is very limited on usage.  The limited used phone calls maybe 4 people and doesn't use the internet.

So why does this happen or will I be transferred to a rep who cannot help me?

Message 1 of 33 (4,083 Views)
Mentor

Re: Does ATT sell your number?

Yes, you do have a point in regards to the working telephone numbers from their directory.... but if my personal information is not immediately out there (from AT&T)- how do these companies who "randomly" call my number know my name the next day after I add that line to my account.  They don't say "excuse me ma'am are you interested in..."  They say "Hello, is this *first name *last name"?  Your theory works to a certain extent.  

Message 16 of 33 (3,495 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

tkaye10 wrote:

I don't care what AT&T claims- they have to have some program that sends your number to other marketers.  I recently added another line to my service with a new number.  I had it for one day before I started receiving calls from unknown numbers, when answered know my name.  My number is not listed online, it is a private number.  So I wonder how I am getting these random calls?  I had been with Verizon for several years and just switched to AT&T last year- the same thing happened with my other two lines.  

the ability to gather phone number needs absolutely no interaction on any carriers part, unless the number is flagged a private / no list - a chargable line item from the carriers the number is available on the net - and even then it can be gotten ahold of by the actions of the user that has the nu,mber assigned. Then birng into the mix the simple fact that all carriers be it land line, voip or cellular their assigned number blocks, prefixes and area codes are public domain, all a auto dialer needs to do is start with the are code, prefix, then the last four digits are 0001 and just start sequential dialing.
Add to the fact number are reassigned when thye are turned in - you have no idea if the number that you have was listed as private before, plus you filling in a form and giving your phone number makes it fair game for the online retailer to put your number out in the wild - the chances of the nuber being released in the wild by actions from any carrier ar slim to none - it is to easy for this autodialers to get them thorugh other locations. There are data mining company out there that even if your number is unlisted at the carrier level, they can still corralate your number to the name and address - my home number has been unlisted for 40 years, yet they have access to the my information through data mining - Melissa data comes to mind as being able to gather this information
Not even do not call lists are 100 percent effective, plus if you have ever done business with a company or made an inquiry to the company, the do not call list does not apply.

Message 17 of 33 (3,465 Views)
Mentor

Yeah data mining, through AT&T's database.  Apparently they need better security.  

Message 18 of 33 (3,282 Views)
Expert

tkaye10 wrote:

Yeah data mining, through AT&T's database.  Apparently they need better security.  

err no, you are jumping to a conclusion that is so far off base it is not even in the same time continumium. Contrary to your msiconsception numbers are avaialble easily - each carrier is assigned area codes, prefixes and 4 digit ranges, the companies will "data mine" other sites - like the social networking sites that people tend to put everything on - when they eat lunch, when they go to the bathroom and *gasp* contact information. Look toyour own house before you claim something - when did you last put your cell phone number on a website or filled in a application, bought something online - that is where they are getting your numbers and information

Message 19 of 33 (3,271 Views)
Mentor

I didn't have this phone number on anything before I started getting these calls. As I have said before, the calls started the day after I got the new phone line. I understand the concept of your information being everywhere once it is placed on the internet-- that is why I didn't use this number for this purpose.

AT&T is always so quick to blame the customer, seems like that with every issue!
Message 20 of 33 (3,195 Views)
Expert

tkaye10 wrote:
I didn't have this phone number on anything before I started getting these calls. As I have said before, the calls started the day after I got the new phone line. I understand the concept of your information being everywhere once it is placed on the internet-- that is why I didn't use this number for this purpose.

AT&T is always so quick to blame the customer, seems like that with every issue!

who had the phone number before you? Cell numbers are resued, got one for my employees that used to belong to a drug dealer and they kept gettnig calls for purchase of illicit substances

It is really easy to get a number without having to contact a carrier.  here are some links to public sites that can query public (not carrier) databases to get information.

http://www.anywho.com/reverse-lookup

http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/phonelocation.asp

http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/

http://reversedirectory.langenberg.com/

All these companies pull information from numerous public sites, not carrier specific databases

Don;t see att blaming anybody in the thread, we are all customers, this is a peer to peer forum.

Message 21 of 33 (3,177 Views)
Mentor

There are people listed on here as employees who are giving the same.... "You must have put your information on the Internet" blame game.

As I have stated before... I began receiving calls the day after getting the phone (I didn't place any info on the Internet).
*i agree other people could of had the same number before me but that doesn't explain how when I was called the very next day, they asked for me by name.

Also, this is a community forum- so if you do not work for AT&T, then I'm sorry but how would you know?
Message 22 of 33 (3,162 Views)
Expert

tkaye10 wrote:
There are people listed on here as employees who are giving the same.... "You must have put your information on the Internet" blame game.

As I have stated before... I began receiving calls the day after getting the phone (I didn't place any info on the Internet).
*i agree other people could of had the same number before me but that doesn't explain how when I was called the very next day, they asked for me by name.

Also, this is a community forum- so if you do not work for AT&T, then I'm sorry but how would you know?

decades of owning / running a company that is deeply involded in network / telco / vertical development, secruity, call centers. You tend to learn things like this over the decades of being involved in it

Message 23 of 33 (3,149 Views)
Former Community Manager

I am sorry that you're receiving unwanted calls but as I previously posted and wingrider has stated; AT&T does not sell your contact information to anyone. 

Unfortunately, there are many ways for scummy people to get a hold of your contact information. They are not, however, able to do it through AT&T by sale or any nefarious means. 

If you'd like to speak with someone about this, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 33 (3,140 Views)
Mentor

No the real issue is that these online forums for customers to be able to express their problems is a joke. You say you have an issue with something and you are either getting an AT&T rep or an "Ace Professional" telling you that it has nothing to do with AT&T, it's always someone else's fault. Last I checked, I was the one paying the monthly bill and still have all these issues with AT&T. What is the point of stating your problems in here if you are just going to get these people playing the blame game. What a waste of time!
Message 25 of 33 (3,086 Views)
ACE - Professor

If your concerns aren't adequately resolved on the forum, send a message to AT&T Customer care. http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 26 of 33 (3,060 Views)
Contributor

Mr. Employee,

You should learn about your company before you defend them.  I have had AT&T phone service ( unlisted ) for about 7 days.  I've gotten about 10 or 12 calls from ADT security service.  I asked them who gave them my (unlisted) number, and they said "Your phone service provider".

before you defend your company, you should learn their policies.  If you want privacy in your home service, I'd highly recommend you go with another company.

Tricster

Message 27 of 33 (2,423 Views)
Expert

tricster wrote:

Mr. Employee,

You should learn about your company before you defend them.  I have had AT&T phone service ( unlisted ) for about 7 days.  I've gotten about 10 or 12 calls from ADT security service.  I asked them who gave them my (unlisted) number, and they said "Your phone service provider".

before you defend your company, you should learn their policies.  If you want privacy in your home service, I'd highly recommend you go with another company.

Tricster

have had the same landline number since the only thing available was party lines, have never seen any evidence that my home number was sold to anyone. Party line only sevice was about 40 or 50 years ago I think.

Message 28 of 33 (2,398 Views)
Contributor

Same here. I turned on a Cricket phone and an AT&T landline at the same time. 3 days later I'm getting cold calls ON BOTH PHONES. The only entity with both phone numbers was AT&T.

Message 29 of 33 (1,882 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

davzach wrote:

Same here. I turned on a Cricket phone and an AT&T landline at the same time. 3 days later I'm getting cold calls ON BOTH PHONES. The only entity with both phone numbers was AT&T.

and the people that had those numbers prior to you - besides what does att have to do with a cricket mobile line - they don;t issue those numbers

Message 30 of 33 (1,862 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.