Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 12, 2012
11:04:48 AM
View profile
Does AT&T always bill in advance?

We switched to another carrier on Dec. 23rd, porting our #s. The new carrier said to keep the AT&T acct active and that it would be closed automatically when the #s were ported. This seems correct since I could no longer access my online acct after that date. I had received a bill notice (we were on paperless billing) about a week or so before that, with the bill being due Jan. 1st. Before we switched we called AT&T just to make sure our contract was up and what would happen when we cancelled. They told us that the acct. would just be closed and no charges would be owed. Now AT&T is calling me and saying I owe for the Dec./Jan. cycle and that it is past due. They confirmed that the account was closed on Dec. 23rd. I know there is no prorating of the last bill, that's not my issue. I'm just confused - if they bill 1 month in advance, shouldn't the bill I paid in late November cover the Dec./Jan. cycle? We have no overages and are old Cingular customers. I can't access my old bills since it won't let me log on. Any help?

We switched to another carrier on Dec. 23rd, porting our #s. The new carrier said to keep the AT&T acct active and that it would be closed automatically when the #s were ported. This seems correct since I could no longer access my online acct after that date. I had received a bill notice (we were on paperless billing) about a week or so before that, with the bill being due Jan. 1st. Before we switched we called AT&T just to make sure our contract was up and what would happen when we cancelled. They told us that the acct. would just be closed and no charges would be owed. Now AT&T is calling me and saying I owe for the Dec./Jan. cycle and that it is past due. They confirmed that the account was closed on Dec. 23rd. I know there is no prorating of the last bill, that's not my issue. I'm just confused - if they bill 1 month in advance, shouldn't the bill I paid in late November cover the Dec./Jan. cycle? We have no overages and are old Cingular customers. I can't access my old bills since it won't let me log on. Any help?

Does AT&T always bill in advance?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 2:09:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

New customers are set up to pay a month in advance but if you were old Cingular customers chances are that you don't pay a month in advance.  My current bill due Jan. 23 is for the period of 12/4-1/3. 

New customers are set up to pay a month in advance but if you were old Cingular customers chances are that you don't pay a month in advance.  My current bill due Jan. 23 is for the period of 12/4-1/3. 

Re: Does AT&T always bill in advance?

2 of 8 (6,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 2:34:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks. Good to know that some bills may be that way. I don't have a problem paying what I legitimately owe. It's probably right, but I don't want to pay my bill without seeing it. Talked to customer service and they are supposed to send me a copy of the bill. Kind of lame they send me automated calls telling me that there is a problem with my account and to call 611 or access my account online when I can do neither of those since the account is cancelled. And they never sent me a bill in the first place...

Thanks. Good to know that some bills may be that way. I don't have a problem paying what I legitimately owe. It's probably right, but I don't want to pay my bill without seeing it. Talked to customer service and they are supposed to send me a copy of the bill. Kind of lame they send me automated calls telling me that there is a problem with my account and to call 611 or access my account online when I can do neither of those since the account is cancelled. And they never sent me a bill in the first place...

3 of 8 (6,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2012 2:22:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

4 of 8 (6,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 5:40:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

I actually received a letter from AT&T stating that they were going to actually start billing 45 days ahead.  Wondering if they are having a cash flow problem there?  Maybe they should put more effort into customer retention.

I actually received a letter from AT&T stating that they were going to actually start billing 45 days ahead.  Wondering if they are having a cash flow problem there?  Maybe they should put more effort into customer retention.

5 of 8 (4,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 5:43:35 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Aug 20, 2013 at 5:44:58 PM

1776ben wrote:

doubt it with around 133 million cell subscribers and number 2 in the market, not to mention the other divisions, thier turn over rate for losing subscribers is one of the lowest in the industry, this is all easily verifible with a little research on your part, they publish their quarterly returns per federal law

curious when you recieved the letter, have not seen anythig on my personal accounts or the accounts for my company

1776ben wrote:

doubt it with around 133 million cell subscribers and number 2 in the market, not to mention the other divisions, thier turn over rate for losing subscribers is one of the lowest in the industry, this is all easily verifible with a little research on your part, they publish their quarterly returns per federal law

curious when you recieved the letter, have not seen anythig on my personal accounts or the accounts for my company

[ Edited ]
6 of 8 (4,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 6:07:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

The letter was received fall of last year.  I wonder why they would do that?

7 of 8 (4,705 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 20, 2013 8:45:19 PM
(0)
Expert

1776ben wrote:

never recieved it, bill has been within a few pennies of  the normal with the execeptin of the new user fees. so don;t think they did that.

1776ben wrote:

never recieved it, bill has been within a few pennies of  the normal with the execeptin of the new user fees. so don;t think they did that.

8 of 8 (4,683 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments