Do hot-spot and tethering require more infrastructure to support?

Contributor

Do hot-spot and tethering require more infrastructure to support?

Is there a valid technical issue that requires more infrastructure on the part of AT&T to support using your phone as a hot spot or tethering another device to it via Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.  From my perspective data is data.  It shouldn't matter to AT&T whether the data is coming directly from my phone or from another device connected to it.  The burden is on the cell phone to manage this, and it should be transparent to AT&T.  Yet somehow AT&T knows when you try to do this and prevents you from doing so, unless of course you sign up for the more expensive 5GB data plan.  I don't ever come close to using the 3GB on my current plan, but every now and then it would be nice to tether my laptop to it in places there is no Wi-Fi.  Of course, if you read the fine print for the data plans, AT&T makes this clear, but I'm not happy that AT&T can and does cripple features of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) that I thought I was getting when I bought the phone.  How do they know and how can they deliberately disable features of my phone?

I see on this forum there have been lots of complaints about this, but never any discussion on the technical issues for AT&T to support hot spots, tethering, and how they can control your phone's features.  If it does require more infrastructure on their part, then I can see how they can justify requiring users to use a more expensive data plan.  If not, then I agree with a lot of other users that AT&T is just being sleazy.

Message 1 of 2 (416 Views)
Expert

Re: Do hot-spot and tethering require more infrastructure to support?

jeff_c2 wrote:

Is there a valid technical issue that requires more infrastructure on the part of AT&T to support using your phone as a hot spot or tethering another device to it via Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth.  From my perspective data is data.  It shouldn't matter to AT&T whether the data is coming directly from my phone or from another device connected to it.  The burden is on the cell phone to manage this, and it should be transparent to AT&T.  Yet somehow AT&T knows when you try to do this and prevents you from doing so, unless of course you sign up for the more expensive 5GB data plan.  I don't ever come close to using the 3GB on my current plan, but every now and then it would be nice to tether my laptop to it in places there is no Wi-Fi.  Of course, if you read the fine print for the data plans, AT&T makes this clear, but I'm not happy that AT&T can and does cripple features of my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) that I thought I was getting when I bought the phone.  How do they know and how can they deliberately disable features of my phone?

I see on this forum there have been lots of complaints about this, but never any discussion on the technical issues for AT&T to support hot spots, tethering, and how they can control your phone's features.  If it does require more infrastructure on their part, then I can see how they can justify requiring users to use a more expensive data plan.  If not, then I agree with a lot of other users that AT&T is just being sleazy.

Pretty much a moot point now - unless you are a older customer with the old data plans the only data service that you can obtain is mobile share - which does allow hot spot and tethering no matter what data limit you choose. If you want hotspot and tethering, then just switch to a mobile share plan, on the old unlimited data plan for residential they never alllowed it to start with

By the way the same holds true with the older plans at sprint, verizon and t-mobile

Message 2 of 2 (380 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.