Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

Tutor

Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

I will be travelling internationally, so I called up AT&T International Support and they shared some voice & data plans for international travel and they are very very pricy - I obviously do not want to spend thousands of dollars in just connecting so thought it may be better to just get temp. connection at destination and use that, BUT, phone... that's locked by AT&T. Now, I have been using their service for last 1.5 years but they wouldn't unlock my phone, i.e. I will not be able to connect internationally until and unless I go with AT&T roaming services or buy another cellphone. So, both are pricy options.

 

I also tried, if they don't want to unlock iPhone, unlock another phone (non iPhone) I have with them, but they wouldn't do that as well.

 

It's just not a good way to treat existing customers and their needs.

 

Any suggestions from anyone?

Message 1 of 31
Community Manager

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

Hello, vikasgarg!

 

I'm sorry to hear that none of our international travel plans will work for your upcoming trip. How long are you going to be out of the country? If you're going for several months or more, you may want to look into our study abroad plans. For more information about these plans, click on the link below.

 

Study Abroad Plans

 

Otherwise, you may want to consider getting a cheap prepaid phone in the country you decide to visit. For more information about AT&T's device unlock policy and requirements, you can click on the link below.

 

AT&T Unlock Policy and Requirements

 

Let me know if this helps!

 

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 31
Mentor

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

I'm hoping that AT&T responds to T-Mobile's new international plans.  You get free international roaming, minutes, data and text included with your domestic bill.  In other words, there are NO additional charges for international roaming.  

Message 3 of 31
Expert

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel


Zeeb wrote:

I'm hoping that AT&T responds to T-Mobile's new international plans.  You get free international roaming, minutes, data and text included with your domestic bill.  In other words, there are NO additional charges for international roaming.  


data and text only, you still pay .20 cents a minute for voice

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57606784-94/t-mobile-to-offer-free-unlimited-international-data-tex...

 

add to the fact that t-mobile is owned by Deutsche Telecom which is one the major players in europe, t-mobile users will still be connected to a t-mobile network and cell towers, so technically there is no roaming, as you can see from the link their coverage is pretty decent, wonder how it will be handled in the countries that don;t have a GSM network infrastructure in place or cell towers that are used by DT, probably no coverage at all.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileSmiley Very Happyeutsche_Telekom_world_locations.svg

Message 4 of 31
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

In the places not mentioned, data is disabled by default by T-Mobile but can be manually turned on by the user. Smiley Wink They covered their bases pretty well there.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 31
Master

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

With basic free data roaming on the new T-mobile plan which includes over 100 countries on any carrier there plus only 20 cents per min for voice roaming I am really tempted to leave AT&T.  

Message 6 of 31
ACE - Professor

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

While the international plans may sound tempting, keep in mind that your mileage may vary. How fast will it be? 128kbps? They need to clarify that a bit.

Also take in mind the domestic coverage. Make sure you are covered in areas you frequent. Don't go by the coverage map as it's a generalization. Ask friends who have tmobile and go from those reviews.

Personally I can't consider T-Mobile because coverage isn't their strong suit. But pricing is good I'll admit.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 31
Expert

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel


DWC1 wrote:

With basic free data roaming on the new T-mobile plan which includes over 100 countries on any carrier there plus only 20 cents per min for voice roaming I am really tempted to leave AT&T.  


if you travel that much over there just get a local carrier, personally I use globalstar most of the time when I travel, although I do have a rogers and vodaphone contract also

Message 8 of 31
Contributor

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

I hear you!  I have been an AT&T wireless customer since 1998.  15 years of being a loyal customer!  And now, when I travel overseas for a month to the Philippines, they refuse to unlock my phone because I am under contract. Apparently, they don't trust me to complete my contract even though I have done exactly that for the past 15 years.  My contract ends in April, 2015.  At that point, AT&T is going to lose a customer.  

Message 9 of 31
Expert

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel


brian1969 wrote:

I hear you!  I have been an AT&T wireless customer since 1998.  15 years of being a loyal customer!  And now, when I travel overseas for a month to the Philippines, they refuse to unlock my phone because I am under contract. Apparently, they don't trust me to complete my contract even though I have done exactly that for the past 15 years.  My contract ends in April, 2015.  At that point, AT&T is going to lose a customer.  


Corporate policy has nothing to do with trust, you will find that oterh carriers have similiar restrictions

Message 10 of 31
Contributor

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel


wingrider01 wrote:

Corporate policy has nothing to do with trust, you will find that oterh carriers have similiar restrictions


that is absolutely not true. Verizon unclocked my 4s within 60 days of activation for travelling overseas. When i was switching to AT&T i didn't even think to check assuming it's a common practice to let it use with local providers internationally. It'll be good bye AT&T the moment my contract is up

Message 11 of 31
Expert

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel


colona73 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Corporate policy has nothing to do with trust, you will find that oterh carriers have similiar restrictions


that is absolutely not true. Verizon unclocked my 4s within 60 days of activation for travelling overseas. When i was switching to AT&T i didn't even think to check assuming it's a common practice to let it use with local providers internationally. It'll be good bye AT&T the moment my contract is up


Correct they only unlock the GSM slot for international use not for domestic use, have 40 of them in service and like you said 60 days only but you missed the one unlock every 10 months restriction
Message 12 of 31
Master

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel

Just an update from me since I posted earlier.  I ported my personal lines over to T-Mobile and kept my work line with AT&T.   The free roaming on T-Mobile is very workable.   The data is not high speed but it's works well for everything I need except streaming video.    Email, Facebook, maps, and web browsing works fine and it is free.   I just came back from a 2 week trip and my extra charges were only 40 cents for one 2 min phone call.

 

I do hope AT&T can fix the cost of roaming as I would prefer to have my personal lines back at AT&T.

Message 13 of 31
Expert

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel


DWC1 wrote:

Just an update from me since I posted earlier.  I ported my personal lines over to T-Mobile and kept my work line with AT&T.   The free roaming on T-Mobile is very workable.   The data is not high speed but it's works well for everything I need except streaming video.    Email, Facebook, maps, and web browsing works fine and it is free.   I just came back from a 2 week trip and my extra charges were only 40 cents for one 2 min phone call.

 

I do hope AT&T can fix the cost of roaming as I would prefer to have my personal lines back at AT&T.


the only reason that T-Mobile can make the offer on international roaming is because the parent company (Deutsche Telekom) is in Europe and they also have offices in other countries, so you are using the same companies infrastructure.

 

ATT wireless is 100 percent americian based, unless ATT decides to start building infrastructure in europe and the other countries. Besides Sprint is still sniffing around to purchase T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom, would be a good bet that the international roaming discounts will be shut off if that happens

Message 14 of 31
Master

Re: Disappointed... Unlock phone for International Travel


wingrider01 wrote:

DWC1 wrote:

Just an update from me since I posted earlier.  I ported my personal lines over to T-Mobile and kept my work line with AT&T.   The free roaming on T-Mobile is very workable.   The data is not high speed but it's works well for everything I need except streaming video.    Email, Facebook, maps, and web browsing works fine and it is free.   I just came back from a 2 week trip and my extra charges were only 40 cents for one 2 min phone call.

 

I do hope AT&T can fix the cost of roaming as I would prefer to have my personal lines back at AT&T.


the only reason that T-Mobile can make the offer on international roaming is because the parent company (Deutsche Telekom) is in Europe and they also have offices in other countries, so you are using the same companies infrastructure.

 

ATT wireless is 100 percent americian based, unless ATT decides to start building infrastructure in europe and the other countries. Besides Sprint is still sniffing around to purchase T-Mobile from Deutsche Telekom, would be a good bet that the international roaming discounts will be shut off if that happens


This is only partially true.  T-Mobile makes this offer of no charge roaming in over 100 countries MOST of which it has no ownership presence in.  While the roaming offer might change in the future I'm under no contract obligtation at T-Mobile since they abolished contract handcuffs for new customers.   My device is unlocked and should the situation change I can easily come back to AT&T which I would like to do.   For now T-Moble has highlighted that the actual cost of roaming overseas is extremely low and that other carriers are charing roaming rates which no longer make sense to an individual consumer.

 

I still keep my work cell on AT&T for the fantastic domestic coverage and I hope some day to be able to return my personal lines as well. 

Message 15 of 31
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support