Device Unlock while on Next Program (Galaxy Note 3)

Tutor

Device Unlock while on Next Program (Galaxy Note 3)

I travel extensively and have always had my phones unlocked by AT&T until today.  According to the CS rep @ 611, phones on the Next program cannot be unlocked because it does not meet the terms and conditions listed at /deviceunlock.

I asked to speak to his supervisor, and he seemed unsure but then agreed.  The folks at my local AT&T store were unaware of this and were the ones who confirmed I would be able to unlock during the purchase of the phone.

Is the above correct?  Can I not unlock the phone while on the Next program?? If so, why is this not communicated widely and made clear to dealers and CS personnel? 

It's a shame if AT&T can't resolve this because they'll lose my business.  I have multiple lines and services and have been a customer for over a decade.

Message 1 of 18 (22,848 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Device Unlock while on Next Program (Galaxy Note 3)

Hey Navywife86,

What you're asking for is a grey area.

In theory, if the line is out of contract, it can get unlocked.

Military Personell, in most cases, will not be held responsible for their contracts, ie it gets waived for them at the time of cancellation.

There's nothing that I've seen, personally, that officially says it's able to be unlocked, but at the same time, when you submit the unlock request, via www.att.com/deviceunlock , there's a checkbox for military, at the bottom.

I knew someone who accidentally hit that, and they were sent an email requesting their orders.

I want to say, I strongly suspect you should be able to, and it's implied, but I just haven't seen anything definitive.

-Alex

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 18 (20,876 Views)
Contributor

I just started to look into this Next program.  1st question I had is carrier locked/unlocked.

If my math is correct, there is no financing charge under the Next program, so an Iphone5s costs $650, 20 month installment is $32.50 each.  After 12 months, you're eligible to trade in for a new phone.

If it's the same deal as if you're buying from an Apple Store, and if you can afford to pay up front, then why not buying directly from Apple?  At least you know you're getting an unlocked iphone!

The incentive I see are the 0% financing and no negative amount applied if upgrade after 12 months?  But there are many strings attached (ie Can't unlock until paid in full, Can't unlock until 2 yr mark, and even if you're eligible for unlock, you're still at ATT's mercy)

So what is so good with this Next program?  I am missing something?

Message 17 of 18 (20,496 Views)
Expert

pantherman5 wrote:

I just started to look into this Next program.  1st question I had is carrier locked/unlocked.

If my math is correct, there is no financing charge under the Next program, so an Iphone5s costs $650, 20 month installment is $32.50 each.  After 12 months, you're eligible to trade in for a new phone.

If it's the same deal as if you're buying from an Apple Store, and if you can afford to pay up front, then why not buying directly from Apple?  At least you know you're getting an unlocked iphone!

The incentive I see are the 0% financing and no negative amount applied if upgrade after 12 months?  But there are many strings attached (ie Can't unlock until paid in full, Can't unlock until 2 yr mark, and even if you're eligible for unlock, you're still at ATT's mercy)

So what is so good with this Next program?  I am missing something?

If you get it from ATT is is carrier locked, you can only get a factory unlocked from Apple and only if you specificly request one. If you upgrade at 12 months you are required to either pay off the device so you can keep it or trade it in (good condition and working). When you pay off the device you can request the unlock.

The enticement is a new toy every 12 months on the program instead of every 24 months on a subsidized. As Apple releases a new Iphone about every 12 months, those the enter the Next program can upgrade when the new one hits the streets

Message 18 of 18 (20,484 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.