Data roaming but option was disabled

Mentor

Data roaming but option was disabled

I was surprised today when I got dinged $16 in "Data Roaming" charges. The issue is that I have an Android smartphone and the Data Roaming option is explicity turned off! So how could this happen?

The ironic thing here is that I was never actually in Canada! I was staying at a friend's house on Harsen's Island, which is in Michigan, but just across the river from Canada. The AT&T signal there is very weak and I did notice occasionally looking at my phone that it had switched to a Canadian Bell tower across the way; a little later it would be back on AT&T.

I also remember getting a warning text message from AT&T about the roaming charges, but I never enabled that feature. I've also gone through Canada previously with this phone, received the same warning, and never encountered any charges.

The amount of data transferred (about 1Mb) seems to indicate that a lot of my data was coming through that way -- possibly background activity from various apps synchronizing, etc. Considering that I get 3Gb for $30/mo. really makes $16 for 1Mb feel like a ripoff!

Any ideas on how this could happen? Should I take it up with AT&T? 

Message 1 of 4 (927 Views)
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Data roaming but option was disabled

Hello, rochrunner!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been charged for data roaming. We can definitely look into this for you if you send us a private message by clicking here. Make sure to include your name,  phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon at the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Thanks!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (736 Views)
Community Support

Hi rochrunner,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly.

Thanks,

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Message 3 of 4 (699 Views)
Mentor

Well, that was a surprise! The AT&T rep called me this afternoon as promised and removed the data roaming charges. Next time I'm in that area of the state, I think I'll just turn off Mobile Data altogether to avoid a repeat!

Message 4 of 4 (638 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.