Data on a prepaid smartphone

Contributor

Data on a prepaid smartphone

Hey,

I have a a prepaid SIM with AT&T and I am currently on this basic 10c/min rate plan. This worked well so far, but when I return to the US, I need a plan with data included that works on a smartphone (Galaxy S3). I have tried for hours now to completely understand the terms of each of the possible ones as I only have one shot (I am currently abroad and it needs to be working when I arrive), but I have to say that I am failing at that.

So when I call the support, it lets me choose between 3 monthly plans (50$/35$/25) and the daily plan (2$/day). This seems all good and fine, but it also says that this is only for quick messaging and basic phones.

My questions are now:

1) Can I even choose one of these "smartphone plans" and would I then be sure to have data on my Galaxy. If yes, how can I switch to it?

2) If not, then would one of these monthly basic phone plans let me use data on my smartphone (for the 25$ I know that I need to add a package)?

3) If this is so, why on earth is the 35$ monhtly plan with UNLIMITED internet cheaper that the 40$ smartphone plan, which has 200MB only. This makes me wonder whether I can actually use the data on a smartphone.

Help would be much appreciated!! Many thanks! 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Guru

Re: Data on a prepaid smartphone

Hi,

All I can answer you,with a Samsung Galaxy S3, the $2 daily plan only give you SMS and phone calls.

No data come with it. And you cannot add any data plan on it .

All Samsung Galaxy S3,S4,Note 1,2 ,Apple ,LG,Xperia......etc etc .As long as they run on IOS or Android, they are not Basic phones,they are Smart phone,so all this AT&T basic phone plans not apply!!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Expert

Gophone plans where recently change there is actually a smartphone tier of plans now

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Master

Schulz2004 wrote:

Hey,

I have a a prepaid SIM with AT&T and I am currently on this basic 10c/min rate plan. This worked well so far, but when I return to the US, I need a plan with data included that works on a smartphone (Galaxy S3). I have tried for hours now to completely understand the terms of each of the possible ones as I only have one shot (I am currently abroad and it needs to be working when I arrive), but I have to say that I am failing at that.

So when I call the support, it lets me choose between 3 monthly plans (50$/35$/25) and the daily plan (2$/day). This seems all good and fine, but it also says that this is only for quick messaging and basic phones.

My questions are now:

1) Can I even choose one of these "smartphone plans" and would I then be sure to have data on my Galaxy. If yes, how can I switch to it?

2) If not, then would one of these monthly basic phone plans let me use data on my smartphone (for the 25$ I know that I need to add a package)?

3) If this is so, why on earth is the 35$ monhtly plan with UNLIMITED internet cheaper that the 40$ smartphone plan, which has 200MB only. This makes me wonder whether I can actually use the data on a smartphone.

Help would be much appreciated!! Many thanks! 

1. Yes, you would be able to switch from your current rate plan to a monthly plan that includes data for your needs. Data should work -- "out of the box" -- you could say on your S III. If it does not, you may need to change some APN settings. To switch to one of the monthly plans, the easiest way to do it would be to call 611 and go through the menu prompts, however, if you are currently not in the US, then you might be able to change your rate plan online by signing into your prepaid account? I'm not familiar with how that works, but I'm sure it's possible. 

2. Yes. If data is not already included on the plan of your choice, you should have the option to purchase an additional data package to use for up to 30 days. If the package runs out, you will need to purchase another one. 

3. The $35 unlimited data plan is for feature phones ONLY. Smartphones cannot be used with this plan. 

Hope this helps! 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support