Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 1, 2013
3:56:52 PM
View profile
Data being billed while on wifi

I recently started recieving emails from ATT about the data usage on one of our three Iphones. I thought it was a mistake since 99% of the time that phone is on wifi network and it is my understanding that any data on a wifi network cannot be billed.... Well, the messages kept coming and much to my chagrin, I found that I am being billed for data when the phone shows it is wifi connected. I called CS with ATT and they were absolutely no help. They kept telling me the phone is defective and that I need to take it in to the APPLE store....I then tried to explain that my daughter was not up at 3:40 am sending internet photos like the usage summary showed because her phone is down stairs charging in my room. He continued telling me the phone is defective..... I need answers!!!! I will take it to the Apple store, but this surely seems like it is an ATT problem with billing or at worst a setting on the phone that could/should be easy to troubleshoot..... Any Ideas!!!!! Frustrating.....

I recently started recieving emails from ATT about the data usage on one of our three Iphones. I thought it was a mistake since 99% of the time that phone is on wifi network and it is my understanding that any data on a wifi network cannot be billed.... Well, the messages kept coming and much to my chagrin, I found that I am being billed for data when the phone shows it is wifi connected. I called CS with ATT and they were absolutely no help. They kept telling me the phone is defective and that I need to take it in to the APPLE store....I then tried to explain that my daughter was not up at 3:40 am sending internet photos like the usage summary showed because her phone is down stairs charging in my room. He continued telling me the phone is defective..... I need answers!!!! I will take it to the Apple store, but this surely seems like it is an ATT problem with billing or at worst a setting on the phone that could/should be easy to troubleshoot..... Any Ideas!!!!! Frustrating.....

Data being billed while on wifi

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2013 10:01:51 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Mar 1, 2013 at 10:05:55 PM

When the phone is on Wifi, are you also turning off your data connection??? I don't have an iPhone but what I have taken notice to, if I have my data connection on and even though I may be using wifi at the time, when my phone goes into a sort of "sleep mode", so does the wifi and then my data connection kicks in. I physically make it a point to turn off my data connection when I'm using Wifi.

Smartphones use data at different intervals to do updates, etc, but I'm sure you know that. 

I'd suggest turning off your data connection when on Wifi and see how that works for you. As a sidenote, you may not be able to send/receive picture messages (MMS) when your data connection is turned off...at least that's what I've noticed with my Nexus.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

When the phone is on Wifi, are you also turning off your data connection??? I don't have an iPhone but what I have taken notice to, if I have my data connection on and even though I may be using wifi at the time, when my phone goes into a sort of "sleep mode", so does the wifi and then my data connection kicks in. I physically make it a point to turn off my data connection when I'm using Wifi.

Smartphones use data at different intervals to do updates, etc, but I'm sure you know that. 

I'd suggest turning off your data connection when on Wifi and see how that works for you. As a sidenote, you may not be able to send/receive picture messages (MMS) when your data connection is turned off...at least that's what I've noticed with my Nexus.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Re: Data being billed while on wifi

[ Edited ]
2 of 13 (1,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 2:22:49 AM
(0)
Professor
Keep in mind that it can take up to 48 to 72 hours for data use to show up on the billing. Only way to know if the person is using any data, or the phone is say loosing the data connection for wifi in the home, then jumping back on the cell network, is to check the counter on the phone for data use.

How large of a residence is this, how many floors, where is the wireless access point placed in the home, what iPhone model, what iOS version are they running?

Also even if you turn off your data connection for cellular, it can problems, if the person forgets to turn it back on.

What I would suggest, if you have not already done so, is look at one of the newer Unlimited talk/test, shared data packages, that fits within the groups use of data.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
Keep in mind that it can take up to 48 to 72 hours for data use to show up on the billing. Only way to know if the person is using any data, or the phone is say loosing the data connection for wifi in the home, then jumping back on the cell network, is to check the counter on the phone for data use.

How large of a residence is this, how many floors, where is the wireless access point placed in the home, what iPhone model, what iOS version are they running?

Also even if you turn off your data connection for cellular, it can problems, if the person forgets to turn it back on.

What I would suggest, if you have not already done so, is look at one of the newer Unlimited talk/test, shared data packages, that fits within the groups use of data.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

3 of 13 (1,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 7:22:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the info, and no I didnt know that it would update on its own... Im just a dad with daughters who doesnt know much about the technology of todays phones but does try..... I am in a conflict with att about this issue and it only started a month ago.... the previous 9 months we have not had this problem... I will try the suggestions. Does turning off the data connections hamper the texting ability? Thanks again

Thanks for the info, and no I didnt know that it would update on its own... Im just a dad with daughters who doesnt know much about the technology of todays phones but does try..... I am in a conflict with att about this issue and it only started a month ago.... the previous 9 months we have not had this problem... I will try the suggestions. Does turning off the data connections hamper the texting ability? Thanks again

4 of 13 (1,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2013 11:23:29 AM
(0)
Professor
Only imessaging if ithey are off of wifi.

5 of 13 (1,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 11:31:18 AM
(0)
Former Employee

bstringer71 wrote:

Turning cellular data off won't hamper plain text messages but it will prevent sending or receiving picture messages. Even though sending/receiving picture messages does not count against your data plan, it does require a working data connection.

You might want to ensure all your iphones have the latest version of IOS. There was a widely reported issue with IOS that iphones were using cellular data even when connected to wifi. That is supposed to be fixed in the latest version (6.1.2).

Remember also that the time shown on your bill or in your on-line data usage summary does not necessarily match when the data was actually sent/received.

bstringer71 wrote:

Turning cellular data off won't hamper plain text messages but it will prevent sending or receiving picture messages. Even though sending/receiving picture messages does not count against your data plan, it does require a working data connection.

You might want to ensure all your iphones have the latest version of IOS. There was a widely reported issue with IOS that iphones were using cellular data even when connected to wifi. That is supposed to be fixed in the latest version (6.1.2).

Remember also that the time shown on your bill or in your on-line data usage summary does not necessarily match when the data was actually sent/received.

6 of 13 (1,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 10:00:21 AM
(0)
Teacher
Of course, if the phone is charging, it isn't supposed to be signing out of the wi-fi network to save battery. You can be on wi-fi all you want, but the minute you lock the screen, the phone signs out of wi-fi and begins using the cellular network because money.

That shouldn't happen if the phone is charging.
Of course, if the phone is charging, it isn't supposed to be signing out of the wi-fi network to save battery. You can be on wi-fi all you want, but the minute you lock the screen, the phone signs out of wi-fi and begins using the cellular network because money.

That shouldn't happen if the phone is charging.

7 of 13 (862 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 19, 2013 10:01:43 AM
(0)
Teacher
"Remember also that the time shown on your bill or in your on-line data usage summary does not necessarily match when the data was actually sent/received."

In other words, those emails you paid AT&T to send you? They're useless, because it's too late.
"Remember also that the time shown on your bill or in your on-line data usage summary does not necessarily match when the data was actually sent/received."

In other words, those emails you paid AT&T to send you? They're useless, because it's too late.

8 of 13 (862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2013 5:02:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just switched from Sprint to AT&T.

On Sprint, my phones were setup identically and both were Samsung Android phones.

A friend also purchased the same phone recently.

I never went over 3GB of data in a 2 1/2 years even while streaming shows and music during my commute.

At home and work, I have WIFI enabled.

Now, with ATT, in just 1 day, I have already done 1GB of data without streaming any shows.

Reading the forums and seeing how my friend maxed out 3GB in 3 days, it is very easy to tell that ATT bills even when on WIFI.  

Not really the customer experience I wanted after switching.  Makes me question if I dont want to just switch and go to Verizon before I am locked in to ATT.

On Sprint, my phones were setup identically and both were Samsung Android phones.

I never went over 3GB of data in a 2 1/2 years even while streaming shows and music during my commute.

Now, with ATT, in just 1 day, I have already done 1GB of data without streaming any shows.

Reading the forums and seeing how my friend maxed out 3GB in 3 days, it is very easy to tell that ATT bills even when on WIFI.  

Not really the customer experience I wanted after switching.  Makes me question if I dont want to just switch and go to Verizon before I am locked in to ATT.

9 of 13 (658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2013 5:19:11 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:20:15 PM

jjups wrote:

One thing to be aware of - when the phone goes into hibernation it turns off the wi-fi radio and any data is transfered over cellular data. A major change on the iphone recently is that it used to be that when the phone ws plugged into the charger and it went into hibernation the wi-fi would stay on, now it turns off. Have verified this with a network sniffer, with the phone charging and a data stream app running about 5 seconds after the phone goes into hibernation the unique MAC address for the phone disappears from the network packets. Do not have access to a GSM sniffer at the moment but the app continued to stream over the cellular network.

have utilized a free app on itunes and have checked to see what data is being used and by what, reset the phone on 06/08/2013 and cellular usage as of today is

Sent 4.8MB

recieved - 9.5MB

ATT is not billing when on wi-fi, also one other thing you have 14 days for buyers remorse

jjups wrote:

One thing to be aware of - when the phone goes into hibernation it turns off the wi-fi radio and any data is transfered over cellular data. A major change on the iphone recently is that it used to be that when the phone ws plugged into the charger and it went into hibernation the wi-fi would stay on, now it turns off. Have verified this with a network sniffer, with the phone charging and a data stream app running about 5 seconds after the phone goes into hibernation the unique MAC address for the phone disappears from the network packets. Do not have access to a GSM sniffer at the moment but the app continued to stream over the cellular network.

have utilized a free app on itunes and have checked to see what data is being used and by what, reset the phone on 06/08/2013 and cellular usage as of today is

Sent 4.8MB

recieved - 9.5MB

ATT is not billing when on wi-fi, also one other thing you have 14 days for buyers remorse

[ Edited ]
10 of 13 (652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2013 12:14:54 PM
(0)
Employee
jjups, one thing though, are you streaming on higher quality now since in my experience Sprint's network is dead slow compared to AT&T and can handle more. So even though you're watching the same amount on content, is it in higher quality therefore using more data?
jjups, one thing though, are you streaming on higher quality now since in my experience Sprint's network is dead slow compared to AT&T and can handle more. So even though you're watching the same amount on content, is it in higher quality therefore using more data?
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 13 (596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 4:54:41 AM
(0)
Teacher
I have an unlimited data and text grandfather account which AT&T has now decided to speed limit after 3G (why have I been paying for unlimited?) and as a computer exec, decided to look into why data was being used, and not by me.

It seems ANY cellular data adds to the usage. This includes new apps, like Twitter that you cannot log out of. Spam adds to the use, and the more email accounts you have, the more spam adding to your use. FaceTime, or sending most photos taken with an iPhone will make you reach the limit very quickly. I noticed after multiple emails in response to one another, still had the original video attached, bringing a single day usage over 2G for a few emails.

What concerns me as a consumer, is that I paid full price for a gadget wanting to use it. I then payed and pay each month to do so. However, if I were to use my smartphone and its current abilities, I would be limited in use and/or charged more money? I'm ready to go back to a Tin Can and a String
I have an unlimited data and text grandfather account which AT&T has now decided to speed limit after 3G (why have I been paying for unlimited?) and as a computer exec, decided to look into why data was being used, and not by me.

It seems ANY cellular data adds to the usage. This includes new apps, like Twitter that you cannot log out of. Spam adds to the use, and the more email accounts you have, the more spam adding to your use. FaceTime, or sending most photos taken with an iPhone will make you reach the limit very quickly. I noticed after multiple emails in response to one another, still had the original video attached, bringing a single day usage over 2G for a few emails.

What concerns me as a consumer, is that I paid full price for a gadget wanting to use it. I then payed and pay each month to do so. However, if I were to use my smartphone and its current abilities, I would be limited in use and/or charged more money? I'm ready to go back to a Tin Can and a String

12 of 13 (529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2013 8:58:41 AM
(0)
Former Employee

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
It seems ANY cellular data adds to the usage.

Almost but not quite. The exception is MMS messages (not iMessages). They use cellular data but do not count against the cellualr data usage and just in case you are wondering, SMS messages (again, not iMessages) do not use cellular data.

Unsatisfiedcomsumer-14 wrote:
It seems ANY cellular data adds to the usage.

Almost but not quite. The exception is MMS messages (not iMessages). They use cellular data but do not count against the cellualr data usage and just in case you are wondering, SMS messages (again, not iMessages) do not use cellular data.

13 of 13 (507 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments