Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 26, 2013
9:11:15 AM
View profile
DATA USAGE OVERCHARGES WHEN DATA IS SHUT OFF ON PHONE

I have an iPhone 4 that I have had since December.  This is the 5th on my plan and one of many Apple products I own.  I have been charged overage on data since I had the phone.  I paid the charges but 2 months ago I had surgery and did not leave the house.  The phone was connected to wifi 100% of the time and still got overage charges.  When the first email came about the overage, I called AT&T and they suggested I completely shut off the data option in the cellular screen (which I did). At this point I STILL received a overage charges... This last month in the amount of $130 (JUST IN THE OVERAGES)!!!!!!!!!! I have been a customer since 1997 and am at this time looking for another carrier!  I beyond disgusted! 

I have an iPhone 4 that I have had since December.  This is the 5th on my plan and one of many Apple products I own.  I have been charged overage on data since I had the phone.  I paid the charges but 2 months ago I had surgery and did not leave the house.  The phone was connected to wifi 100% of the time and still got overage charges.  When the first email came about the overage, I called AT&T and they suggested I completely shut off the data option in the cellular screen (which I did). At this point I STILL received a overage charges... This last month in the amount of $130 (JUST IN THE OVERAGES)!!!!!!!!!! I have been a customer since 1997 and am at this time looking for another carrier!  I beyond disgusted! 

DATA USAGE OVERCHARGES WHEN DATA IS SHUT OFF ON PHONE

4 replies
(5) Me too
(5) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2013 9:05:09 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Aug 6, 2013 at 8:12:49 AM

Hello Jeniwren, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you're having those issues with your phone and data charges.

What plan do you have? You said your phone is the 5th on your plan, do you have a family plan or a Mobile Share plan? It's possible that another line on your account is accumulating those charges.

Also you said you own many Apple products, do you have a 3G/4G iPad on your account?

And finally, are you still getting overages this billing period or are they only from the last month, before you turned data off?

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello Jeniwren, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you're having those issues with your phone and data charges.

What plan do you have? You said your phone is the 5th on your plan, do you have a family plan or a Mobile Share plan? It's possible that another line on your account is accumulating those charges.

Also you said you own many Apple products, do you have a 3G/4G iPad on your account?

And finally, are you still getting overages this billing period or are they only from the last month, before you turned data off?

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: DATA USAGE OVERCHARGES WHEN DATA IS SHUT OFF ON PHONE

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (1,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 10:14:49 AM
(0)
Contributor

This has also been happening to my daughters phone, first att blamed her, then it was the iphones fault. So i bought a LG phone and its still doing it! Her phone is always connected to wifi and her data connect is off, but within hours it will say her phone has used 3gb of data!

This has also been happening to my daughters phone, first att blamed her, then it was the iphones fault. So i bought a LG phone and its still doing it! Her phone is always connected to wifi and her data connect is off, but within hours it will say her phone has used 3gb of data!

3 of 5 (951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2015 4:38:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm having the same problem. I've been with AT&T since 1986. I have never been over my 3 gb of data usage. Every other day in Ictober I have received an email stating they are adding another gb because I'm over. Apparently, I'm over even when I'm riding on a 7 hour flight! Calling AT&T is a total waste of time. They won't accept any responsibility they just want to sell you another plan. I'm now fCing a bill of $685 for fake overage. I even received two messages from them spaced 6 minutes apart. Run run run from AT&T. Awlful
I'm having the same problem. I've been with AT&T since 1986. I have never been over my 3 gb of data usage. Every other day in Ictober I have received an email stating they are adding another gb because I'm over. Apparently, I'm over even when I'm riding on a 7 hour flight! Calling AT&T is a total waste of time. They won't accept any responsibility they just want to sell you another plan. I'm now fCing a bill of $685 for fake overage. I even received two messages from them spaced 6 minutes apart. Run run run from AT&T. Awlful

4 of 5 (52 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2015 6:50:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

What does your phone indicate is using the data?

open settings, data usage, and scroll down the screen.  

What apps are using the most data and how much?

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information

What does your phone indicate is using the data?

open settings, data usage, and scroll down the screen.  

What apps are using the most data and how much?

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (39 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments