Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 20, 2013
2:54:17 AM
View profile
Cross Upgrade Question

I had a question about cross upgrades on my family plan.

I want to get a new phone using my sister's upgrade.

I have a few issues in mind that I wanted to know more about before trying to purchase anything.

1. My sister lives on the other side of the state. (California)

2. I have a 3G sim. She has a 4G phone w/ a data plan and I want to upgrade to a 4G phone.

Can I order a new phone from attwireless.com or Amazon or Best buy using her upgrade and activate it on my line on my own?

Would this be easier at an AT&T store both for activation and purchase?

I was thinking I could go to the store, buy the phone using her upgrade and have them activate it on my line. 

Can I do this? I'm not buying an iPhone. If that makes a difference.

Any help/response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had a question about cross upgrades on my family plan.

I want to get a new phone using my sister's upgrade.

I have a few issues in mind that I wanted to know more about before trying to purchase anything.

1. My sister lives on the other side of the state. (California)

2. I have a 3G sim. She has a 4G phone w/ a data plan and I want to upgrade to a 4G phone.

Can I order a new phone from attwireless.com or Amazon or Best buy using her upgrade and activate it on my line on my own?

Would this be easier at an AT&T store both for activation and purchase?

I was thinking I could go to the store, buy the phone using her upgrade and have them activate it on my line. 

Can I do this? I'm not buying an iPhone. If that makes a difference.

Any help/response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cross Upgrade Question

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2013 8:40:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, you can get an upgrade using someone else's upgrade. It is best done at a store with both people present.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Yes, you can get an upgrade using someone else's upgrade. It is best done at a store with both people present.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Cross Upgrade Question

2 of 4 (837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 5:44:52 AM
(0)
Former Employee

If you order online, the phone will come with a SIM card for whatever line is being upgraded. In other words, the sim will have your sister's number. Once you activate it, the sim in your sister's phone will stop working. At this point, you would need to swap sims which will be difficult since she's on the other side of the state. Additionally, your 3G sim might not support all the features of your new phone. Bottom line, best to do it at a store as kdfeferer suggests. They will ensure the new sim is set up for your number. 

If you order online, the phone will come with a SIM card for whatever line is being upgraded. In other words, the sim will have your sister's number. Once you activate it, the sim in your sister's phone will stop working. At this point, you would need to swap sims which will be difficult since she's on the other side of the state. Additionally, your 3G sim might not support all the features of your new phone. Bottom line, best to do it at a store as kdfeferer suggests. They will ensure the new sim is set up for your number. 

3 of 4 (796 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2013 11:05:05 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by huevit0 on Jul 21, 2013 at 11:11:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Just to note my experience for future reference, something I didn't know going in and didn't read online, since I'm not the account holder, is that I had to be made an authorized user by the account holder to be able to upgrade on my own.

Pretty simple, the account holder (my brother) just had to call the 1800 number.

The girl deactivated my 3G sim and gave me a new 4G sim. My sister's phone was deactivated for a few minutes and then reactivated. No need to swap sims or anything as My sister has a 4G phone and sim, and I was upgrading to 4G. 

Popped the new sim into the new phone, went through the onscreen activation, paid and I  was good to go.

Pretty simple and straightforward. The people at Best Buy called it Upgrade Swap or something like that.

This seems to happen all the time.

Thanks for the replies.
Just to note my experience for future reference, something I didn't know going in and didn't read online, since I'm not the account holder, is that I had to be made an authorized user by the account holder to be able to upgrade on my own.

Pretty simple, the account holder (my brother) just had to call the 1800 number.

The girl deactivated my 3G sim and gave me a new 4G sim. My sister's phone was deactivated for a few minutes and then reactivated. No need to swap sims or anything as My sister has a 4G phone and sim, and I was upgrading to 4G. 

Popped the new sim into the new phone, went through the onscreen activation, paid and I  was good to go.

Pretty simple and straightforward. The people at Best Buy called it Upgrade Swap or something like that.

This seems to happen all the time.

[ Edited ]
4 of 4 (770 Views)