Coverage issue

Tutor

Coverage issue

I live on the south end of The Villages, Florida.  In order to use my cell phone I have to stand in the middle of the road.  All of my neighbors, regardless of their cell carrier, have a similar issue.  All of the major cell towers are 2 miles or less from my house, so I'm guessing that they all need to be configured somehow to include the new neighborhoods springing up to the south.  Does ATT have any plans to do this any time soon?  If so, when?

Message 1 of 7 (669 Views)
Expert

Re: Coverage issue

dhbtoo wrote:

I live on the south end of The Villages, Florida.  In order to use my cell phone I have to stand in the middle of the road.  All of my neighbors, regardless of their cell carrier, have a similar issue.  All of the major cell towers are 2 miles or less from my house, so I'm guessing that they all need to be configured somehow to include the new neighborhoods springing up to the south.  Does ATT have any plans to do this any time soon?  If so, when?

Cell towers do not need to be configured when new neighborhoods are setup, would hazard a guess that it is surrounding terrain that is the root of the problem, especially sine you say all your neighbors have the same issue no matter what carrier

Message 2 of 7 (643 Views)
Tutor

Central Florida terrain is as flat as a pancake.  I get much better cell coverage in north Georgia where the terrain is hilly and unpredictable.  Go figure.

Message 3 of 7 (633 Views)
Community Manager

Hello @dhbtoo 

Have you had a chance to check AT&T's Coverage Viewer? What does it show? You might benefit from looking into AT&T's 3G Microcell to improve service at home, you can learn more about it here.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 7 (526 Views)
Tutor

I just checked.  It shows good coverage, but not the best.  It might be good if someone told my phone that the coverage is good.  I borrowed a phone from a family member who lives on the north side of The Villages, and their phone didn't work any better.  

Any carrier who takes the time to get that issue fixed will probably get a lot of new business in the next few months.  The Villages is the fastest growing community in the US right now, and the south ind is where the growth is.

As for the device you mentioned, I'll check into it.

Thanks

Don

Message 5 of 7 (517 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

I went to the ATT site to look into the microcell. I tried to view videos, but the links did not work. My 3 biggest questions are:

1. Since it connects to the existing broadband service, how much impact would it have on my existing 4g broadband allotment?
2. Would it work with a phone that uses the Straight Talk AT&T sim card?
3. Would it help my wife's T-Mobile phone?

Don
Message 6 of 7 (513 Views)
Mentor

1) Any data used through the microcell itself counts against your 4G data. BUT if you're at home you'll probably be on your wifi, and that is free of course. You might argue that your internet is supplying the service, but the couter is as far as AT&T's network is concerned it's a cell tower.

2) It will work with a straight talk phone as long as it has an AT&T sim in it

3) Will do NOTHING for a Tmobile phone sorry, but they usually have built in wifi calling on the better android phones which means as long as you have good home internet it wouldn't be an issue.

Message 7 of 7 (484 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.