Coverage inside our home is poor.

Mentor

Coverage inside our home is poor.

I have two Samsung phones; a Galaxy S4 Active and a Note 3, that only display up to 2 bars inside the house.  My wife has an iPhone 5S and her phone displays up to 3 bars with either LTE.  Our home address is supposed to be inside a strong LTE area and all our phones connect to LTE 90% of the time.  However, we are not getting the advertised LTE speed.  When the phones do connect to 4G we get the the same speed as when we are connected to LTE; therefore, the LTE speeds we are getting is from the 4G towers.  In addition, I would occasionally get voicemails from missed calls that I never received.  They don't even show as a missed call on my call log.  This happens to the two Samsung phones as my wife is usually at work from morning until night.  

Message 1 of 6 (938 Views)
Community Manager

Re: Coverage inside our home is poor.

Hello @SB20 

Unfortunately in some cases, due to factors outside of any carriers control, you might experience degraded service quality inside buildings. AT&T offers a 3G Microcell product that will help you resolve this issue, you can learn more about it here.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 6 (885 Views)
Mentor

Whatever happened to the old AT&T who would thank me for reporting the problem and that they will send out a technician to check the area? Now, it's much easier to recommend optional paid service to fix AT&T's problem. And how will a microcell help me?
Message 3 of 6 (879 Views)
ACE - Master

SB20 wrote:
Whatever happened to the old AT&T who would thank me for reporting the problem and that they will send out a technician to check the area? Now, it's much easier to recommend optional paid service to fix AT&T's problem. And how will a microcell help me?

The thing is, poor coverage in your house does not necessarily mean there is a problem with ATT's network. I've got terrible coverage in my house too and I'm less than a mile from a tower but when I go outside, I get great coverage. That is just the nature of wireless communications. Coverage inside buildings is always spotty. 

A microcell basically is a mini cell tower in your house that uses your internet connection to complete the connection to the ATT network. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (807 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

Coverage inside our house was good. The poor coverage only started a couple of months ago. So you can't blame building structure in this case. What baffles me is instead of looking more deeply into the problem, you guys are so quick to blame my house and/or its structure as a possible reason for the poor coverage. Maybe I am posting my issues in the wrong place. But I've seen other posts were issues were resolved so I took my chance. I guess I was wrong.

With regards to a microcell, how will that help me if I don't have a broadband internet connection inside my house? That would mean I'd have to spend more money to buy the microcell and spend even more money to have broadband internet installed at home. Is that your best recommendation? So going outside my house to make phone calls or to wait for a phone call or spend the extra money to have broadband internet at home is not a viable solution for me.

FYI, I did report the poor coverage via the AT&T Mark the Spot app a few months ago and finally got a message via the app that there was indeed a problem with the nearest tower that covers my area and that they have fixed it. That's what I call a solution although LTE data speed is still abysmal but at least I can make and receive phone calls without any problems now. BTW, your two biggest competitors' LTE speeds are at least 4X faster than AT&T's LTE. The biggest competitor can get up to 80 mbps inside our tightly secured home. I hope your coverage in and around Estero, FL is better since we're moving there this summer.

Anyway, you can mark my post as "Solved for now via Mark the Spot app and the good technician who worked on it.". Cheers!
Message 5 of 6 (681 Views)

I have the same problem. I just entered into contract with att but my tmobile phone works perfectly in and outside the house. I was going to let tmobile go but I cant because I dont get most of my calls and text with att.
Message 6 of 6 (487 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.