Coverage Map says I should have the "Best" Signal but that's far from the truth.

Contributor

Coverage Map says I should have the "Best" Signal but that's far from the truth.

[ Edited ]

I moved into a new home in November. Even before we bought we looked at the coverage map to make sure we would still have good coverage.  For voice the map says we should have the "Best" signal however i am constantly getting only 1-2 bars (sometimes 4g sometimes not). Even sometimes where our phones are searching for a signal for hours. I am constantly getting calls cutting in and out, dropped calls and even missed call all together.This even happens outside my home. I have to drive a few miles down the road before getting 4-5 bars on 4g. 

Today i had enough. I chatted with a couple representives today about this issue. The first girl tried a few thing and then told me to upgrade my phone to the latest IOS and see if that worked. It did not have any effect on my reception. I then chatted back with another representive to let them know I still was having the same issue. From what he told me is it looks like others in my area are having the same issue and what I should do is purchase a $200 Microcell to fix my issue (or use the app to notify AT&T of the poor service and wait for them to build a closer tower).

Why the heck would I make a $200 puchase to fix my service when I should have the best signal. I could understand if I moved somewhere their map says I should have poor service but that's not the case. I have been with AT&T for a while, and there service works great everywhere else, but I refuse to pay to fix my service or to have sub par service at my home. None of my phone are under contract so I think I will be looking elsewhere if this issue is not resolved. 

Message 1 of 6 (637 Views)
Expert

Re: Coverage Map says I should have the "Best" Signal but that's far from the truth.

mfruckus wrote:

I moved into a new home in November. Even before we bought we looked at the coverage map to make sure we would still have good coverage.  For voice the map says we should have the "Best" signal however i am constantly getting only 1-2 bars (sometimes 4g sometimes not). Even sometimes where our phones are searching for a signal for hours. I am constantly getting calls cutting in and out, dropped calls and even missed call all together.This even happens outside my home. I have to drive a few miles down the road before getting 4-5 bars on 4g. 

Today i had enough. I chatted with a couple representives today about this issue. The first girl tried a few thing and then told me to upgrade my phone to the latest IOS and see if that worked. It did not have any effect on my reception. I then chatted back with another representive to let them know I still was having the same issue. From what he told me is it looks like others in my area are having the same issue and what I should do is purchase a $200 Microcell to fix my issue (or use the app to notify AT&T of the poor service and wait for them to build a closer tower).

Why the heck would I make a $200 puchase to fix my service when I should have the best signal. I could understand if I moved somewhere their map says I should have poor service but that's not the case. I have been with AT&T for a while, and there service works great everywhere else, but I refuse to pay to fix my service or to have sub par service at my home. None of my phone are under contract so I think I will be looking elsewhere if this issue is not resolved. 

cellular signal strength is variable, terrain, sunspots, buildings can all affect it. If you are in a newer house built after the 90's the studs in yuor wall are probably metal this can affect your signal drasticly. I live in a area that has "good coverage" according to the map, but if I am on the cell and walk from the front of the house to the back the call drops.

If you do want to change services would suggest you ignore the coverage map and talk to people in your area about their signal strength

Message 2 of 6 (583 Views)
Contributor

Re: Coverage Map says I should have the "Best" Signal but that's far from the truth.

House was built in 2006. All wood frame. Thing is the house doesn't effect the signal. Same thing happen outside of my house or anywhere else in my neighborhood. In a neighborhood that Is supposed to have great signal strength.
Message 3 of 6 (577 Views)
ACE - Master

mfruckus wrote:
House was built in 2006. All wood frame. Thing is the house doesn't effect the signal. Same thing happen outside of my house or anywhere else in my neighborhood. In a neighborhood that Is supposed to have great signal strength.

According to the coverage maps (at the high level) I'm deep inside an LTE coverage area.  As I zoom in the map, I actually see a small hole that is very close to centered over my entire subdivision, so I did a little more research.  My subdivision is built in a small depression with larger hills around us, and houses built up on those hills too.  This means that in our subdivision we actually do have a slightly lower coverage than the neighboring hilltops (due to line of sight coverage).  I wonder if you happen to have a similar issue happening at your home...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6 (568 Views)
Contributor

Zooming in as close as I can still shows that I should have a great signal along with the rest of my neighborhood (that has to use a microcell).
Message 5 of 6 (563 Views)
Scholar

Best thing to do is call customer care, and tell them your address, and ask where the closest tower is located from there. If your having signal problems they will ask your address anyways, and see if a near by tower is down. other than that; just ask your neighbors, and friends how ATT is working for them.

Message 6 of 6 (477 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.