Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 15, 2013
12:51:26 PM
View profile
Couldn't call Emergency/911!!

Someone was trying to break into my apartment at 2:30am a few days ago, but when I tried calling 911 with my Samsung Galaxy S3, the call was dropped. I tried it a few more times, dropped every time. I ended up calling the local police department who arrived in time. The next day, they told me the emergency lines weren't tied up, and there was no power outtage, and that my call should've gone through.

I tried calling tech support that ran through the troubleshooting, and they told me to call 911 to test it. When I told them that it's illegal to call 911 knowing that it's not an emergency, they said they couldn't help me.

I tried calling customer support, they told me it shouldn't be a big deal since "you call 911 at most once a year", and was wished good luck. Talked to others that are higher up but basically got the cold shoulder or told, again, to call 911 "just to test it".

What should I do?

Someone was trying to break into my apartment at 2:30am a few days ago, but when I tried calling 911 with my Samsung Galaxy S3, the call was dropped. I tried it a few more times, dropped every time. I ended up calling the local police department who arrived in time. The next day, they told me the emergency lines weren't tied up, and there was no power outtage, and that my call should've gone through.

I tried calling tech support that ran through the troubleshooting, and they told me to call 911 to test it. When I told them that it's illegal to call 911 knowing that it's not an emergency, they said they couldn't help me.

I tried calling customer support, they told me it shouldn't be a big deal since "you call 911 at most once a year", and was wished good luck. Talked to others that are higher up but basically got the cold shoulder or told, again, to call 911 "just to test it".

What should I do?

Couldn't call Emergency/911!!

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 1:07:25 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, josephyu116!

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience in this emergency situation. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

Please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, josephyu116!

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience in this emergency situation. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

Please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Couldn't call Emergency/911!!

2 of 6 (346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2013 1:20:19 PM
(0)
Contributor
Will do, thanks!
Will do, thanks!

3 of 6 (331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 17, 2013 7:38:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
It's been two days and still waiting for a response. Hope to get this issue resolved soon, and I hope at&t cares enough to address this issue!
It's been two days and still waiting for a response. Hope to get this issue resolved soon, and I hope at&t cares enough to address this issue!

4 of 6 (229 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 5:39:34 AM
(0)
Former Employee

josephyu116 wrote:

Sorry someone hasn't replied but there may not be anything Att can do for you. Unfortunately, no one can guarantee a cellular call, that's just the nature of cellular technology. As much as any carrier tries to provide coverage everywhere, coverage inside of buildings is the hardest because there are so many things that can prevent a successful call. My phone rarely works inside my house but if I step outside, no problem. 

If if you really want piece of mind, consider a land line. One big advantage of a land line call to 911 is they immediately know where the call is coming from and will respond even if the call gets disrupted. 

josephyu116 wrote:

Sorry someone hasn't replied but there may not be anything Att can do for you. Unfortunately, no one can guarantee a cellular call, that's just the nature of cellular technology. As much as any carrier tries to provide coverage everywhere, coverage inside of buildings is the hardest because there are so many things that can prevent a successful call. My phone rarely works inside my house but if I step outside, no problem. 

If if you really want piece of mind, consider a land line. One big advantage of a land line call to 911 is they immediately know where the call is coming from and will respond even if the call gets disrupted. 

5 of 6 (216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 7:45:16 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Oct 18, 2013 at 7:46:19 AM

Hello josephyu116,

The social media team that contacted you on October 15th is still working with your issue and will continue to communicate with you via email. Our notes indicate that the last email was sent to you yesterday and someone is expected to get back to you today.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Hello josephyu116,

The social media team that contacted you on October 15th is still working with your issue and will continue to communicate with you via email. Our notes indicate that the last email was sent to you yesterday and someone is expected to get back to you today.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
6 of 6 (204 Views)