Could I get an out of state Area Code on a gophone?

Teacher

Could I get an out of state Area Code on a gophone?

Hello,

I'm not an AT&T customer. I do have Verizon Wireless. I do have some questions about the AT&T gophone.

1.) Could I get an out of State Area Code for the gophone? I'm asking that is because when I put in a Zip Code like on top of the website and change it to an out of State Zip Code, and than when I get to the point to fill out my Bill to address, and than I press continue, I get the below error.

Please review and correct the following error(s):
The ZIP Code that you provided prior to Checkout does not match your Place of Primary Use address. Please update your address and ensure that the ZIP Codes match. (CO_165)

2.) If I really wanted too would it be possible to port the number on the AT&T gophone to my Verizon Wireless iPhone?

I would appreciate if someone could get back to me!
Message 1 of 8 (1,583 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Could I get an out of state Area Code on a gophone?

The last time I bought a GoPhone (at an AT&T store) the lady there asked me which area code I wanted. Since I didn't care I didn't ask how much variety there was, so I don't know for sure, but you might want to go to a store rather than do it online.

I've heard of various issues related to porting prepaid numbers. As long as they're active and within the same market they should be portable. AT&T can't port in numbers from other markets, don't know if VZW has similar restrictions.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (1,566 Views)
Teacher

1.) So with the GoPhones, the number cannot be ported to Verizon iPhone 2yr contractor.

2.) Based on my error I posted, it's not possible to pick an area code out of my service area online?
Message 3 of 8 (1,522 Views)
Teacher

I guess no one wants to answer my thread? I only had "one" reply and I replied back and that's it.

Message 4 of 8 (1,471 Views)
Employee

GoPhone requires having a telephone that reflects your area, meaning when you open a new GoPhone account and you enter your address and such the GoPhone telephone numbers generated and offered to you are those reflecting your delivery address(Fro online Orders) or the area codes found within your home address that you list when purchasing a GoPhone.

You can change your GoPhone number at any time by calling Customer Care at 800-901-9878. Changing a GoPhone number cannot be done online.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 8 (1,468 Views)
Teacher

So, with calling Customer Care they can't change the area code to an area code out of my service area?

I'm asking is because I called 888-333-6651, and the lady I spoke with asked the supervisor and he/she said I could get an area code out of my service location and that was one of my questions I called to ask.
Message 6 of 8 (1,465 Views)
Employee

In general your number stays with your immediate calling area/billing zip code. With GoPhone since there is not a primary billing as there is no billing you can change the number to an out of state number, but only in-store I am told. Changing a telephone number on a postpaid account is $36, I imagine there isn't much difference with GoPhone, but you may want to check with the store you visit. 

If you have an existing number from out of state that you would like to transfer to that phone you also can.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 8 (1,459 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Thank you!
Message 8 of 8 (1,457 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.