Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade

Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade

[ Edited ]

apparently everyone has a different situation and concerns on why they should be allowed an early upgrade for the iPhone 5.  It's either each story we read we are being trolled, or there is some fact on what they are telling us.  Point is if a certain group of people are getting early upgrades or credit towards thier account, why does that justiffy the other percent of people be rejected for an early upgrade? I feel that in this situation for the iPhone 5, everyone should be allowed an early upgrade.  And when the next iPhone is to be released that they maintain a certain stance on early upgrades.  I find it disgusting that a person can go through numerous att reps, and if they find a nice one, they basically get what they want.  I surely do hope my upgrade dates can be changed eventually just like the few that have accomplished on these forums.  This is my rant...

so if anyone can give me some tips or direct # to reps that will allow early upgrades or credits please let me know.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 30 (25,957 Views)

Re: Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade

Where did I say I should be treated differently? Do you still not get my point about 20 month eligibility being the same as 24 at least for me? 

Message 16 of 30 (25,331 Views)
Professor

Samsung releases a new phone every 6 months or so. Should those folks be allowed a full upgrade every time a new phone comes out? Your options are simple. Wait for your elegibility, or pay more for the phone. Being allowed an upgrade at 20 months is pretty generous if you ask me. Add on that they typically allow you to upgrade on the first of the month that you become eligible, and it could be almost 5 months before your contract is up. Sounds pretty good to me.

Message 17 of 30 (25,305 Views)

UNCLE UNCLE

Message 18 of 30 (25,295 Views)

Did you even read what I have written? Where did I say I should get a full upgrade? You guys must just love to repeat the mantra regardless what an ATT customer says. Unreal.

I never said a 20 month upgrade wasn't generous did I?  

Message 19 of 30 (25,291 Views)
Expert

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

Where did I say I should be treated differently? Do you still not get my point about 20 month eligibility being the same as 24 at least for me? 

right here

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

20 month eligibility is a crock when it comes to iPhones. Who in their right mind would buy a 5 when 4 months later a 5S or 6 comes out?

I know what I agreed to but then again what choice did I really have? I have 5 lines and it would be nice to have the main one upgradeable like the ATT rep told me it would be. I was going to look into Uverse but now I'm not going to-Its my form of ATT civil disobedience. Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 30 (25,267 Views)

right here

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

20 month eligibility is a crock when it comes to iPhones. Who in their right mind would buy a 5 when 4 months later a 5S or 6 comes out?

---------------------------------------

Am I an iphone? Did I say I should get an upgrade right now? I don't think so. 

Maybe i'm not articulate enough, maybe I can't voice my opinion in way for you to understand that to upgrade in 20 months when a newer iphone would be coming out 4 months or so later would be a mistake. Again my opinion.  

Message 21 of 30 (25,252 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

AT&T bases their upgrade on their standard 2-year contract. The fact that an updated model of any phone is released every 6 months, year, 18 months, 2 years or whatever has nothing to do with AT&T's upgrade cycle. How often Apple choose to release a new phone is entirely up to Apple. Apple doesn't release phones based on AT&T's contract cycle and AT&T doesn't set their contracts based on Apple's release cycle.
Message 22 of 30 (25,150 Views)
Former Employee

dwill05 wrote:
AT&T bases their upgrade on their standard 2-year contract. The fact that an updated model of any phone is released every 6 months, year, 18 months, 2 years or whatever has nothing to do with AT&T's upgrade cycle. How often Apple choose to release a new phone is entirely up to Apple. Apple doesn't release phones based on AT&T's contract cycle and AT&T doesn't set their contracts based on Apple's release cycle.

Excellent explanation, Thank you.

Message 23 of 30 (25,123 Views)

youre right but they always lie i received an email offering a 250 upgrade. didnt have the funds a week later when i did i tried and it said 349 i called att they said i was confused so i hanged up on her and called again she opened a case to have an my date moved up and nope denied. and yea im not threatening anyone but my plans are to switch companies, not due to to not getting the phone for 99 but for the customer service i have received and lies. also i asked for my cancelation fee two ladies said 180 when i chatted again the man said 255. MONEY HUNGRY! LIARS! CSR FEEDING OFF CUSTOMERS!!!!

Message 24 of 30 (4,711 Views)
Expert

avillarreal wrote:

youre right but they always lie i received an email offering a 250 upgrade. didnt have the funds a week later when i did i tried and it said 349 i called att they said i was confused so i hanged up on her and called again she opened a case to have an my date moved up and nope denied. and yea im not threatening anyone but my plans are to switch companies, not due to to not getting the phone for 99 but for the customer service i have received and lies. also i asked for my cancelation fee two ladies said 180 when i chatted again the man said 255. MONEY HUNGRY! LIARS! CSR FEEDING OFF CUSTOMERS!!!!

early upgrade is the discounted cost of the device plus and additional 250.00 so

discounted cost of phone + 250.00 penalty + 36.00 activation. At least this carrier offeres it, verizon and sprint have no compable option available to you

Message 25 of 30 (4,698 Views)
Employee

Sprint does let you upgrade with a $250.00 cost plus the cost of the upgrade. Also, customer care does not always explain the details of an 'early upgrade,' that being said many customers Don't listen when being described how the early upgrade plan works.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 26 of 30 (4,052 Views)
Employee

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 27 of 30 (4,051 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:
Sprint does let you upgrade with a $250.00 cost plus the cost of the upgrade. Also, customer care does not always explain the details of an 'early upgrade,' that being said many customers Don't listen when being described how the early upgrade plan works.

documentation on the sprint website please, been a customer for 14 years and have never been able to do that

As far as the early upgrade, they don't have to listen to it being described, if they are eligible for it, the description is spelled out in detail on the upgrade eligibility page

Message 28 of 30 (4,040 Views)
Employee

I guess don't believe me... Before I switched to AT&T I was with Sprint, my wife's phone was not acting properly and I called to complain but we were still five months out an upgrade. The representative I spoke with said I could do an early upgrade by paying $250 plus the cost of the upgrade. Just my experience nothing I investigated. I have nothing to gain by lying here but this was through customer service.
Employee Contributor*
Message 29 of 30 (4,037 Views)
Employee

Also, my statement concerning a customer listening is when they are told on the phone they qualify all we tend to listen to is what we want to hear, focus on the word 'early' and tune out the rest.
Employee Contributor*
Message 30 of 30 (4,034 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.