Ask a question

Posted Sep 23, 2012
    9:03:41 PM
    Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade
    Edited by Toemasuxsempai on Sep 23, 2012 at 9:07:30 PM

apparently everyone has a different situation and concerns on why they should be allowed an early upgrade for the iPhone 5.  It's either each story we read we are being trolled, or there is some fact on what they are telling us.  Point is if a certain group of people are getting early upgrades or credit towards thier account, why does that justiffy the other percent of people be rejected for an early upgrade? I feel that in this situation for the iPhone 5, everyone should be allowed an early upgrade.  And when the next iPhone is to be released that they maintain a certain stance on early upgrades.  I find it disgusting that a person can go through numerous att reps, and if they find a nice one, they basically get what they want.  I surely do hope my upgrade dates can be changed eventually just like the few that have accomplished on these forums.  This is my rant...

so if anyone can give me some tips or direct # to reps that will allow early upgrades or credits please let me know.  Thank you.

Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade

[ Edited ]
    29 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (29)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 23, 2012 9:09:17 PM
    (0)
    Employee

No one is getting early upgrades or credits, everyone plays by the same rules. Remember, not everyone's contract started at the same time.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade

2 of 30 (25,843 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 23, 2012 9:43:02 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

So your telling me the 100+ million people that you guys service not at least one have got an early upgrade either by knowing a friend, or talked to a certain rep or told some sort of sob story on why they should get the infamous iphone 5?  So the friend I have that was due in january 2013, but simply called customer service and got  his date changed so that he can pre order?  Or the few hundred people that actually posted on fourms claiming they got an early upgrade or credit towards there account because of whatever reason was just a troll?    

When it comes to customer service, I'm pretty sure each company main goal is to gain some sort of satifactory.  From how I see it, the ability to change the upgrade date or to gain some sort of credit is only given to those that try.  If they announced it in general, that would actually effect profit.  I'm guessing about 5-10 percent of the people actually get their way eventually on this iphone 5 situation.  All we want is the phone without paying 650++!!!  

3 of 30 (25,824 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 23, 2012 11:16:10 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Edited by richfray on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:18:58 PM

Toemasuxsempai wrote:

So your telling me the 100+ million people that you guys service not at least one have got an early upgrade either by knowing a friend, or talked to a certain rep or told some sort of sob story on why they should get the infamous iphone 5?  So the friend I have that was due in january 2013, but simply called customer service and got  his date changed so that he can pre order?  Or the few hundred people that actually posted on forums claiming they got an early upgrade or credit towards there account because of whatever reason was just a troll?    

When it comes to customer service, I'm pretty sure each company main goal is to gain some sort of satisfactory.  From how I see it, the ability to change the upgrade date or to gain some sort of credit is only given to those that try.  If they announced it in general, that would actually effect profit.  I'm guessing about 5-10 percent of the people actually get their way eventually on this iphone 5 situation.  All we want is the phone without paying 650++!!!  

I work in an AT&T store. In the past week or so, I've heard and or witnessed numerous "reasons" given by customers for moving their upgrade eligibility. Many of these turn into threats to take their business elsewhere. I've not seen an eligibility date moved yet.  We've put customers on the phone with customer care when they request/demand it. The answer has been the same 100% of the time. I suspect if I was privy to the notes on an account for someone who has claimed to have been granted an eligibility date change, the electronic paper trail would uncover why an isolated exception was made, for example a previous upgrade that perhaps involved a return of the device that started the previous contract and an upgrade reversal not being performed, at the time the return occurred. I'm sure there are verifiable errors in a customers account history that could conceivably allow for an upgrade date change. AT&T DOES care about losing business and will review accounts based on a particular customer's situation. However, AT&T also cannot make exceptions for people for things outside those very limited parameters. The VAST majority of requests for moving dates are simply emotional reasons the customer feels they "deserve" an exception, citing things like, I always pay my bills, been with AT&T for 20 years, AT&T moved my date last time, I spend x amount of money per year with AT&T, I was only suspended twice for late payment, etc, etc. If all you want is the the new phone without paying $650+, AT&T will allow you your full upgrade eligibility when your existing contract allows. Not sure about 100's of people claiming to have gotten early upgrades. I see very few (handful) of people claiming that. If those claims are legitimate, I strongly suspect there is more to the story.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
    4 of 30 (25,786 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2012 3:27:25 AM
    (0)
    Expert

Toemasuxsempai wrote:

So your telling me the 100+ million people that you guys service not at least one have got an early upgrade either by knowing a friend, or talked to a certain rep or told some sort of sob story on why they should get the infamous iphone 5?  So the friend I have that was due in january 2013, but simply called customer service and got  his date changed so that he can pre order?  Or the few hundred people that actually posted on fourms claiming they got an early upgrade or credit towards there account because of whatever reason was just a troll?    

When it comes to customer service, I'm pretty sure each company main goal is to gain some sort of satifactory.  From how I see it, the ability to change the upgrade date or to gain some sort of credit is only given to those that try.  If they announced it in general, that would actually effect profit.  I'm guessing about 5-10 percent of the people actually get their way eventually on this iphone 5 situation.  All we want is the phone without paying 650++!!!  

If all you want is a new toy without paying the 549 cost of the early upgrade, then wait until your device is eligible for upgrade according to the binding contract that you agreed to when you got your last toy.

Why is it that only those that use the iphone seem to believe they should be allowed to upgrade every year no matter what they agree to onthe contract? You don;t see the pelpe that use any other phone demanding that get to upgrade in a year when a newer verzion of their phone comes out?

5 of 30 (25,760 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2012 7:59:53 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

Toemasuxsempai wrote:

I want a Lexus LS 460 without paying over $50,000 for it. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 30 (25,671 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2012 8:42:55 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by Toemasuxsempai on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:48:11 AM

By far the best customer service answer I've ever heard. Thanks richfray Smiley Happy 

[ Edited ]
    7 of 30 (25,647 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2012 8:46:18 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

You do hear stories, just not as much as the iPhone.  But the point is, early upgrades have been given depending on the situation.  

8 of 30 (25,647 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2012 8:47:32 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

thats easy

9 of 30 (25,647 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2012 10:18:03 AM
    (0)
    Employee

Toemasuxsempai wrote:

By far the best customer service answer I've ever heard. Thanks richfray Smiley Happy 

You're welcome Smiley Happy

10 of 30 (25,582 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 24, 2012 12:20:13 PM
    (0)
    Professor

The best way to get an early upgrade is to wait until you're eligible. Last time I checked, there were 12 months in a year. If AT&T lets you upgrade 20 months into your two year contract, that's four months early by my calculation.

11 of 30 (25,534 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 25, 2012 9:38:34 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

20 month eligibility is a crock when it comes to iPhones. Who in their right mind would buy a 5 when 4 months later a 5S or 6 comes out?

I know what I agreed to but then again what choice did I really have? I have 5 lines and it would be nice to have the main one upgradeable like the ATT rep told me it would be. I was going to look into Uverse but now I'm not going to-Its my form of ATT civil disobedience. Smiley Frustrated 

12 of 30 (25,313 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 3:51:35 AM
    (0)
    Expert

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

20 month eligibility is a crock when it comes to iPhones. Who in their right mind would buy a 5 when 4 months later a 5S or 6 comes out?

I know what I agreed to but then again what choice did I really have? I have 5 lines and it would be nice to have the main one upgradeable like the ATT rep told me it would be. I was going to look into Uverse but now I'm not going to-Its my form of ATT civil disobedience. Smiley Frustrated 

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

why exaclty is it a "crock" because you are buying a iphone and should be treated differently then all other cell phone users?

Want to upgrade every year, then pay full price, want subsidized pricing then follow the contract that you agreed to like every other cell phone user on att's network

13 of 30 (25,272 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 9:35:16 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Why exaclty is it a "crock" because you are buying a iphone and should be treated differently then all other cell phone users?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off I have no clue about other phones and their cycles on att's network. I was speaking of the iphone as the title of this thread is "Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade". I was making the comment that 20 and 24 months is basically the same thing because a new iphone would be coming out much sooner than later. 

If you are such an ACE maybe you should read and comprehend before attacking. I guess that's my welcome to the ATT boards. Kudos!!

14 of 30 (25,233 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 9:38:57 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:43:06 AM

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

Why exaclty is it a "crock" because you are buying a iphone and should be treated differently then all other cell phone users?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off I have no clue about other phones and their cycles on att's network. I was speaking of the iphone as the title of this thread is "Correct way to get an early iPhone 5 upgrade". I was making the comment that 20 and 24 months is basically the same thing because a new iphone would be coming out much sooner than later. 

If you are such an ACE maybe you should read and comprehend before attacking. I guess that's my welcome to the ATT boards. Kudos!!

It is, I have iphones, I don;t expect to be treated any different they every other customer of a carrier that has the exact same contract that I do.

A disgreement is not a "attack" it was a honest question. I qoute from your post "20 month eligibility is a crock when it comes to iPhones." you state that the 20 month eligibilty is a "crock" simple because it is a iphone - the disgreement is with your exact statement. The only correct way of getting the upgrade is to wait till you are eligible and not expect special handling becasue of the phone you own or want to get the latest version before you upgrade is eligible because it is a iphone

[ Edited ]
    15 of 30 (25,230 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 9:47:07 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Where did I say I should be treated differently? Do you still not get my point about 20 month eligibility being the same as 24 at least for me? 

16 of 30 (25,225 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 10:12:17 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Samsung releases a new phone every 6 months or so. Should those folks be allowed a full upgrade every time a new phone comes out? Your options are simple. Wait for your elegibility, or pay more for the phone. Being allowed an upgrade at 20 months is pretty generous if you ask me. Add on that they typically allow you to upgrade on the first of the month that you become eligible, and it could be almost 5 months before your contract is up. Sounds pretty good to me.

17 of 30 (25,199 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 10:18:37 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

UNCLE UNCLE

18 of 30 (25,189 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 10:24:21 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Did you even read what I have written? Where did I say I should get a full upgrade? You guys must just love to repeat the mantra regardless what an ATT customer says. Unreal.

I never said a 20 month upgrade wasn't generous did I?  

19 of 30 (25,185 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 11:12:51 AM
    (0)
    Expert

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

Where did I say I should be treated differently? Do you still not get my point about 20 month eligibility being the same as 24 at least for me? 

right here

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

20 of 30 (25,161 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 11:36:35 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

right here

iPhone5S/6 wrote:

---------------------------------------

Am I an iphone? Did I say I should get an upgrade right now? I don't think so. 

Maybe i'm not articulate enough, maybe I can't voice my opinion in way for you to understand that to upgrade in 20 months when a newer iphone would be coming out 4 months or so later would be a mistake. Again my opinion.  

21 of 30 (25,146 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 4:37:18 PM
    (0)
    Professor
    AT&T bases their upgrade on their standard 2-year contract. The fact that an updated model of any phone is released every 6 months, year, 18 months, 2 years or whatever has nothing to do with AT&T's upgrade cycle. How often Apple choose to release a new phone is entirely up to Apple. Apple doesn't release phones based on AT&T's contract cycle and AT&T doesn't set their contracts based on Apple's release cycle.

22 of 30 (25,044 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Sep 26, 2012 7:14:01 PM
    (0)
    Employee

dwill05 wrote:
    AT&T bases their upgrade on their standard 2-year contract. The fact that an updated model of any phone is released every 6 months, year, 18 months, 2 years or whatever has nothing to do with AT&T's upgrade cycle. How often Apple choose to release a new phone is entirely up to Apple. Apple doesn't release phones based on AT&T's contract cycle and AT&T doesn't set their contracts based on Apple's release cycle.

Excellent explanation, Thank you.

23 of 30 (25,017 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 8, 2013 10:49:10 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

youre right but they always lie i received an email offering a 250 upgrade. didnt have the funds a week later when i did i tried and it said 349 i called att they said i was confused so i hanged up on her and called again she opened a case to have an my date moved up and nope denied. and yea im not threatening anyone but my plans are to switch companies, not due to to not getting the phone for 99 but for the customer service i have received and lies. also i asked for my cancelation fee two ladies said 180 when i chatted again the man said 255. MONEY HUNGRY! LIARS! CSR FEEDING OFF CUSTOMERS!!!!

24 of 30 (4,605 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 9, 2013 4:35:26 AM
    (0)
    Expert

avillarreal wrote:

youre right but they always lie i received an email offering a 250 upgrade. didnt have the funds a week later when i did i tried and it said 349 i called att they said i was confused so i hanged up on her and called again she opened a case to have an my date moved up and nope denied. and yea im not threatening anyone but my plans are to switch companies, not due to to not getting the phone for 99 but for the customer service i have received and lies. also i asked for my cancelation fee two ladies said 180 when i chatted again the man said 255. MONEY HUNGRY! LIARS! CSR FEEDING OFF CUSTOMERS!!!!

early upgrade is the discounted cost of the device plus and additional 250.00 so

discounted cost of phone + 250.00 penalty + 36.00 activation. At least this carrier offeres it, verizon and sprint have no compable option available to you

25 of 30 (4,592 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 6, 2013 9:44:11 PM
    (0)
    Employee
    Sprint does let you upgrade with a $250.00 cost plus the cost of the upgrade. Also, customer care does not always explain the details of an 'early upgrade,' that being said many customers Don't listen when being described how the early upgrade plan works.

26 of 30 (3,946 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 6, 2013 9:44:16 PM
    (0)
    Employee

27 of 30 (3,945 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 7, 2013 6:23:27 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:25:21 AM

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:
    Sprint does let you upgrade with a $250.00 cost plus the cost of the upgrade. Also, customer care does not always explain the details of an 'early upgrade,' that being said many customers Don't listen when being described how the early upgrade plan works.

documentation on the sprint website please, been a customer for 14 years and have never been able to do that

As far as the early upgrade, they don't have to listen to it being described, if they are eligible for it, the description is spelled out in detail on the upgrade eligibility page

[ Edited ]
    28 of 30 (3,934 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 7, 2013 6:26:11 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    I guess don't believe me... Before I switched to AT&T I was with Sprint, my wife's phone was not acting properly and I called to complain but we were still five months out an upgrade. The representative I spoke with said I could do an early upgrade by paying $250 plus the cost of the upgrade. Just my experience nothing I investigated. I have nothing to gain by lying here but this was through customer service.

29 of 30 (3,931 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 7, 2013 6:28:17 AM
    (0)
    Employee
    Also, my statement concerning a customer listening is when they are told on the phone they qualify all we tend to listen to is what we want to hear, focus on the word 'early' and tune out the rest.

30 of 30 (3,928 Views)