Comparing AT&T Next and Mobile Share Value with old Nation 450 and DataPro plans

Highlighted
Contributor

Comparing AT&T Next and Mobile Share Value with old Nation 450 and DataPro plans

Hi, everyone! I'm looking to potentially switch to AT&T Next this fall when the iPhone 6 is released. I've read online both good things and bad about Next, though most of the negative comments I've seen were written before the new Mobile Share Value pricing was introduced.

I've been under contract since Dec 2012 on an iPhone 5 with the Nation 450 and DataPro 3GB plan, making my monthly cost $89.99. I'm trying to compare my old plan with what I would be paying on Next. It looks like, using a 32GB 5s as an example, I would be paying $97/mo (see below). I put together a chart to try to compare. Can anyone confirm whether this info and the totals are accurate?

I also am supposed to be getting a 17% corporate discount, though I don't believe it has been applied for a while but should be going forward.

I tried comparing the two by looking at what I paid over the course of 12 months, since I would probably upgrade every year on Next (20 installment route).

Old Nation 450 w/ DataPro 3GB plan, 32GB iPhone 5 ($750 unlocked)

ATT Next w/ Mobile Share Value 2GB plan, 32GB iPhone 5s ($750 unlocked)

Upfront for device

$360 (incl. approx. tax)

$60 (incl. approx. tax)

Monthly for device over 12 mos.

$0 (not counting subsidy elsewhere)

$450 ($37.50/mo)

Monthly for main plan over 12 mos.

$480 ($40/mo for Nation 450)

$408 ($34/mo for unlimited talk/text and 2GB data)

Monthly for messaging/calling over 12 mos.

$240 ($20/mo for unlimited text and mobile-to-mobile)

$0 (included above)

Monthly for data over 12 mos.

$360 ($30/mo for 3GB)

$0 (included above)

Monthly per line over 12 mos.

$0 (included above)

$300 ($25/mo -- savings from $40/mo)

Profit from selling old phone on eBay, etc.

-$300 (rough estimate)

$0 (trade in after 12 mos)

Total over 12 mos.

$1,140

$1,218

So over the course of one year, I would be paying about $80 more? Does this look right? I've tried looking at all the pricing so long I'm getting confused. Any insight anyone could provide would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Comparing AT&T Next and Mobile Share Value with old Nation 450 and DataPro plans

Two items stand out to me. 1) To accurately compare the costs, I think you need to consider what the upfront cost would be for the new iPhone, not what you paid for your current iPhone as I doubt you will get a new one for $360. 2) I could be wrong but I think your 17% discount would apply to the $25 monthly per line cost under mobile share.

Otherwise, it looks like you've done a accuate comparison though I would split the comparison into two categories. Compare the cost of service separately to the cost of buying the phone because whether you buy the phone outright or buy via Next, the total cost for the phone should be the same. Next is simply a method of buying a phone (at full price) but paying it off interest free over xx months. It of course also gives you the option of trading in and upgrading after 12 or 18 months but you can also pay off the balance and keep the phone too. Anyway, if your upfront costs for that new iphone exceeds $440 (which I'm sure it will), the mobile share/Next combo will work out cheaper.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Expert

Re: Comparing AT&T Next and Mobile Share Value with old Nation 450 and DataPro plans

sandblaster wrote:

Two items stand out to me. 1) To accurately compare the costs, I think you need to consider what the upfront cost would be for the new iPhone, not what you paid for your current iPhone as I doubt you will get a new one for $360. 2) I could be wrong but I think your 17% discount would apply to the $25 monthly per line cost under mobile share.

Otherwise, it looks like you've done a accuate comparison though I would split the comparison into two categories. Compare the cost of service separately to the cost of buying the phone because whether you buy the phone outright or buy via Next, the total cost for the phone should be the same. Next is simply a method of buying a phone (at full price) but paying it off interest free over xx months. It of course also gives you the option of trading in and upgrading after 12 or 18 months but you can also pay off the balance and keep the phone too. Anyway, if your upfront costs for that new iphone exceeds $440 (which I'm sure it will), the mobile share/Next combo will work out cheaper.

I thought the FAN discount only applied to the data/talk/text portion and not to the device.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master

I see a couple small flaws in your numbers, but the concept is correct.

The biggest flaw I see in your numbers is that you are comparing the two items for 1 year, but when you purchase the new iPhone under contract on your Family Plan, you sign a 2 year contract, so you would also need to either include the EFT after 1 year, or run your numbers for the full 2 year term otherwise you have a phone contract that you need to pay a second year on but not have an iPhone because you've already sold it at the 1 year mark.

When you compare Apples to Apples like that, you will see some big changes in the end, like that after 20 months you have paid for the phone under NEXT, so you can keep it (or sell it) and at that time, you stop paying the additional monthly amount.  Yes, you can trade it in to get a new phone and start a new payment plan at that time, but you can't do that with your contract phone, so you can't really make that comparison.

Before I made the change, I sat down and did the numbers just like you.  I even played with a couple other options to see what I could get the best deal on.  In the end, I opted for the Mobile Share plan because I have 2 phones on my account, and we both use a good bit of data, so the 10GB plan actually saves us money in the end.  With a single phone on your plan, often, the Mobile Share prices are not in your favor, and you are better off to keep with the 2 year contracts and your current plans as long as they are still offered.  It's always a good idea to make the full comparisons though, as it can be close, or it may swing better for you to switch.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support