Cloned, phone hobbyist

Cloned, phone hobbyist

I think my phone number has been cloned. I am receiving multiple calls from numbers unfamiliar to me. Upon researching the numbers, they were traceable on the website whycall.me this is the message given to me per lookup website: 

817-932-****

Its exchange 932 is managed by LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS, LLC -.

The number is currently on switch number FTWQTXXTDS0 (switch is a technical specification for phone hobbyists) .

Read more at http://www.whycall.me/817-932-7859.html#cEkv5X4VLigFeTVp.99

Sometimes I receive 5-7 calls a day. Sometimes it's the same phone number calling back to back in one day. I feel that the more calls I make/use my phone the more odd phone number calls I receive. My plan is unlimited so my main concern is the security of the info on my phone. Totally freaks me out a little as this is my first fraud/security breech I have experienced. Guess things could be worse. Any advice on where to pick up the pieces and what precautions to take? 

How are these problems rectified? Is possible I need to change my phone number and/or device? Or can I change my MIN and/or ESN? Better yet, is there a reporting policy for when this happens? Should I notify FCC? I once had a device stolen if that makes a difference (I'm thinking SIM card info; IMEI). 

I have chosen AT&T as my provider for 6 years now, please help me make my phone safe again.  All input would greatly be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 4 (3,954 Views)
Professor

Re: Cloned, phone hobbyist

The line "switch is a technical specification for phone hobbyists" means it's a switched number, like a business extension.

Your phone hasn't been cloned, you're getting spam calls. Depending on the phone, you may be able block the numbers.

Message 2 of 4 (3,933 Views)

Thank you for your helpful response. Assuming your diagnosis is correct how have spammers obtained my phone number, what else can they access?

Can you explain how the unknown calls increasing the more calls I make? EX: I make a phone call, shortly after I receive a phone call from the unknown. This is consistent during business hours (M-F 9-5)

Main concern: is blocking the numbers enough?
Message 3 of 4 (3,913 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

gingerhead wrote:
Thank you for your helpful response. Assuming your diagnosis is correct how have spammers obtained my phone number, what else can they access?

Can you explain how the unknown calls increasing the more calls I make? EX: I make a phone call, shortly after I receive a phone call from the unknown. This is consistent during business hours (M-F 9-5)

Main concern: is blocking the numbers enough?

Phone numbers are public domain, you fill out a warrenty card, or anything that asks for your phone number and send it in and a large portion of those companies turn it into marketing data. By transmitting a unknown number it makes it pretty much impossible to block it

Message 4 of 4 (3,908 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.