Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 24, 2013
5:38:01 AM
View profile
Clarifying use of a temporary phone
I'm currently in a family talk plan with 3 phones. The first two are in a 2-year contract. The third, an iPhone 3GS, is currently out of contract. It's 2-year contract ended last year but I continue to use it with a voice and unlimited data plan. My original intent was to continue using the 3GS until next year when the new iPhone model is supposed to be released. Instead, would I be able to purchase a used phone outside of AT&T (ie eBay or Craigslist) and use it in place of the 3GS until next year when I would sign on for a new 2-year contract with the new iPhone? If so: Will AT&T still consider this outside phone a "new" device and require a contract? Am I limited to an AT&T branded phone and/or another iPhone model? Can my current data plan be transferred to this outside phone?
I'm currently in a family talk plan with 3 phones. The first two are in a 2-year contract. The third, an iPhone 3GS, is currently out of contract. It's 2-year contract ended last year but I continue to use it with a voice and unlimited data plan. My original intent was to continue using the 3GS until next year when the new iPhone model is supposed to be released. Instead, would I be able to purchase a used phone outside of AT&T (ie eBay or Craigslist) and use it in place of the 3GS until next year when I would sign on for a new 2-year contract with the new iPhone? If so: Will AT&T still consider this outside phone a "new" device and require a contract? Am I limited to an AT&T branded phone and/or another iPhone model? Can my current data plan be transferred to this outside phone?

Clarifying use of a temporary phone

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 6:46:15 AM
(0)
Expert

bbin5 wrote:

you can use any smartphone that will work on att's network. It HAS to be a smartphone, if you replace it with a basic / qmd device the discontinued unlimited data plan will be removed and you will not be able to get it back.

bbin5 wrote:

you can use any smartphone that will work on att's network. It HAS to be a smartphone, if you replace it with a basic / qmd device the discontinued unlimited data plan will be removed and you will not be able to get it back.

Re: Clarifying use of a temporary phone

2 of 5 (826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 8:48:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

wingrider,

Thanks for the reply. I called AT&T customer service to inquire about this but was put on hold for so long that I hung up.

Will AT&T still consider this temporary phone as a new device and require a contract commitment in order to use their voice and data plans with it?

wingrider,

Thanks for the reply. I called AT&T customer service to inquire about this but was put on hold for so long that I hung up.

Will AT&T still consider this temporary phone as a new device and require a contract commitment in order to use their voice and data plans with it?

3 of 5 (807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 10:02:17 AM
(0)
Expert

bbin5 wrote:

wingrider,

no just swap the sim, have done it a couple of times

bbin5 wrote:

wingrider,

no just swap the sim, have done it a couple of times

4 of 5 (794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 7:00:50 PM
(0)
Employee
You can us a phone from Ebay, Craigslist, friend etc it won't have any effect on contract. It won't require new contract. As long as it is another smartphone you won't loose your data unlimited. Make sure to call Customer care and tell them because if you don't then the data plan might not be compatible and won't work. You can keep the data unlimited but they need to update it to data for a Blackberry or Samsung which ever you choose.
You can us a phone from Ebay, Craigslist, friend etc it won't have any effect on contract. It won't require new contract. As long as it is another smartphone you won't loose your data unlimited. Make sure to call Customer care and tell them because if you don't then the data plan might not be compatible and won't work. You can keep the data unlimited but they need to update it to data for a Blackberry or Samsung which ever you choose.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (708 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments