Cheaper to cancel your contract and go to verizon then pay the $250 +$36 upgrade fee

Tutor

Cheaper to cancel your contract and go to verizon then pay the $250 +$36 upgrade fee

since ATT wants to lose a whole bunch of customers to Verizon- let them. For $200 you can terminate your contract, and walk into Verizon and get a iphone 5 for 64GB for $399. You'll save $86 plus get a better carrier. I've upgraded my Iphone every year at launch and had never paid some ridiclous $250 "fee" for what- who knows. If that $250 were canceling my contract, then fine. dont make me sign another 2 year agreement then. Hi Verizon! See you tomorrow!

Message 1 of 10 (5,793 Views)
Tutor

Re: Cheaper to cancel your contract and go to verizon then pay the $250 +$36 upgrade fee

Message 2 of 10 (5,764 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Cheaper to cancel your contract and go to verizon then pay the $250 +$36 upgrade fee

ln310 wrote:

since ATT wants to lose a whole bunch of customers to Verizon- let them. For $200 you can terminate your contract, and walk into Verizon and get a iphone 5 for 64GB for $399. You'll save $86 plus get a better carrier. I've upgraded my Iphone every year at launch and had never paid some ridiclous $250 "fee" for what- who knows. If that $250 were canceling my contract, then fine. dont make me sign another 2 year agreement then. Hi Verizon! See you tomorrow!

I'm pretty sure Verizon charges a $36 activation fee (same as the upgrade fee) so you really only save $50. You will also have to select one of their share everything plans which you may find is more than what your current plan is. You might want to price it all out before you switch because you may end up paying more in the long run.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10 (5,663 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Also, you need to check Verizon's contract terms. They may not allow anything other than a full price upgrade until the entire 2 year contract is over.

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. All cell phone companies give the best prices to new customers. There are people at Verizon who have a 4S and it's cheaper for them to swap to AT&T than get a 5 from Verizon.
Message 4 of 10 (5,649 Views)
Professor

ln310 wrote:

What's the better carrier?  I thought that you were going to Verizon Wireless. Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 10 (5,605 Views)
Contributor

Totally agree. I can not believe their customer service hung up on me. They asked me to buy a microcell because their coverage sucks. Can you believe their logic?

Message 6 of 10 (3,465 Views)
Community Manager

Hello xj_wanglu,

Thanks for posting here. I'm really sorry to hear that you're having reception issues. Is the coverage bad at home or other places too? Has it always been bad? Do you know if others have problems in those areas?

There are so many different factors that can affect network performance, especially inside buildings, Microcell is a good option, available to those that want to improve their coverage indoors. If you want to speak with somebody about it, We have a team of great managers that might be able to help! Send us a private message by clicking here, please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached and we will give you a call to discuss your options.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 10 (3,437 Views)
Tutor

Been a wireless customer about 5 years...How is this in anyway an upgrade deal?

I was browsing Iphone5 for fun earlier at $199, but there is no "upgrade" at a best price when i use this eligibility link.

It would be the same price if I was a new customer, and then you would charge me $36 for an upgrade fee???

Am i missing something???

If after 5 years treating me as a new customer is the "best pricing" AT&T can do,  I can switch carriers since my contract expired..I agree OP

Message 8 of 10 (3,360 Views)
Professor

There are three prices available for the 16GB iPhone 5:  new customers/existing customers that are fully upgrade eligible get $199, existing customers using the early upgrade option get $449, and AT&T customers who are not upgrade eligible or do not wish to do a new contract get $649.  The $199 is the "best" price among the three options here.

Message 9 of 10 (3,347 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Funny since I can go to Walmart and get the same Iphone5 with Verison for $129, and to the $499 option as the OP said, its cheaper to cancel and become a new customer than this "upgrade at best price".

All the companies generally charge $199 for an iphone 5 with a new 2 yr contract and I assume other phone models will be similar.

What's the point sticking with AT&T or having this "check eligible" link for an upgrade since my contract has now been fulfilled? Any new customer can get the same deal.

Seems like a gimmic trying to make current customers that have fulfilled or partially fulfilled their contracts think they are getting something special when they are clearly not.

I guess I have a different opinion of what eligible upgrade means.

I also love this NEXT program listed by my upgrade option. Its got "free" this and that written all over the place til you read monthly fee for 20 months and the fine print below that.

"Qualifying devices only. Upgrade after 1 yr.: Req. min. 12 installment payments, acct. in good standing, plus trade-in of current device in good & functional condition & purchase of new device/wireless agreement & service plan"

I'm done ranting its pointless anyway..

Message 10 of 10 (3,283 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.