Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 21, 2014
10:17:03 AM
View profile
Charges

AT&T just charged my account $499 for a replacement phone that was under warranty. I did send the defective one back but they say they didn't get it? We have been with AT&T wireless since 2004, home phone since 1990, internet since 2001 and U-verse for 6 months? Any ideas what I can do?

AT&T just charged my account $499 for a replacement phone that was under warranty. I did send the defective one back but they say they didn't get it? We have been with AT&T wireless since 2004, home phone since 1990, internet since 2001 and U-verse for 6 months? Any ideas what I can do?

Charges

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 10:23:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dbdwitt wrote:

I would start with contacting the carrier you shipped the defective phone with to get a proof of delivery and begin the process of an insurance claim on the shipping insurance you paid on shipping the defective phone back.  If they can provide a proof of delivery, then you should be able to get AT&T to refund the charges.  If they can't provide the proof of delivery, then your insurance claim with them should cover the cost of the phone they lost...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

dbdwitt wrote:

I would start with contacting the carrier you shipped the defective phone with to get a proof of delivery and begin the process of an insurance claim on the shipping insurance you paid on shipping the defective phone back.  If they can provide a proof of delivery, then you should be able to get AT&T to refund the charges.  If they can't provide the proof of delivery, then your insurance claim with them should cover the cost of the phone they lost...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Charges

2 of 5 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 11:36:45 AM
(0)
Contributor
It was shipped back using a label provided by AT&T. USPS doesn't have a record of this label in there system
It was shipped back using a label provided by AT&T. USPS doesn't have a record of this label in there system

3 of 5 (271 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 12:37:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

The best thing that you can do at this point is call AT&T and have them start investigating.

In the past, here's what would have happened (not necessarily saying that this has happened to you):

The customer forgets or delays the return of the defective phone anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.

Because of this, AT&T has (usually) shipped out the replacement phone and they're still awaiting for the defective phone.

They'll add on the charge to the bill of $499.

Then they'll receive the defective phone.

They'll then place a credit of $499 onto the account to counter balance the charge.

So in order to investigate what has happened, if you've been credited, if the phone has been found, definitely call in. Because there's not much that the online forum can do or figure out.

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation

The best thing that you can do at this point is call AT&T and have them start investigating.

In the past, here's what would have happened (not necessarily saying that this has happened to you):

The customer forgets or delays the return of the defective phone anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.

Because of this, AT&T has (usually) shipped out the replacement phone and they're still awaiting for the defective phone.

They'll add on the charge to the bill of $499.

Then they'll receive the defective phone.

They'll then place a credit of $499 onto the account to counter balance the charge.

So in order to investigate what has happened, if you've been credited, if the phone has been found, definitely call in. Because there's not much that the online forum can do or figure out.

and if I've answered your question, click on the green checkmark to the right

4 of 5 (261 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2014 11:40:17 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @dbdwitt 

I'm sorry about the issue you're experiencing. We have a team that can help you get it all sorted out. Please send us a private message by clicking here with your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @dbdwitt 

I'm sorry about the issue you're experiencing. We have a team that can help you get it all sorted out. Please send us a private message by clicking here with your name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 5 (217 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments