Ask a question

Posted Aug 31, 2012
12:03:27 PM
Charged for no service
All of my services(home phone, internet, wireless) were disconnected because i was past due on my bill. Even though my services were all disconnected for a month i was still billed for that full months worth of service that i did not receive. I called in and was transferred to multiple people and spent hours trying to get this fixed, finally someone was able to issue a credit for the home phone and internet portion of the bill but the wireless department refused to drop these fraudulent charges, stating that is is at&t policy to continue billing even if services were disconnected. I will not pay $200 for a months worth of service that i did not receive. Also, My home internet had been disconnecting randomly all day for months, after many service visits the problem was never fixed. I have been an at&t customer and supporter for over ten years, but charging me for a month that my service was disconnected is too much, i will never give you crooks another penny and i will tell everyone i know to stay away!

Charged for no service

19 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2012 3:22:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
AT&T bills a month in advance for wireless charges. In the Terms of Service you agreed to, it states that AT&T will not prorate if you disconnect before that month is up.

It may not seem fair, but that's what you signed up for.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Charged for no service

2 of 20 (2,631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 7:31:17 AM
(0)
Tutor
My service was shut off by at&t at the end of July but i received a bill for August, i had no service in august. If they knew they were going to charge me for August anyway then they shouldn't have cut off my service at the end of July. I would have paid for august if i would have actually received something, but I'm not giving anyone $300 when i have not received anything in return. I didn't sign anything saying i would pay them money for nothing, and if this goes to court I'm pretty sure that any judge will agree that you can not legally charge someone for something you did not provide. They have lost a long time customer over $300 worth of service they didn't even provide. Its just plain wrong no matter how you try to justify it.

3 of 20 (2,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 7:49:51 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 6, 2012 at 7:51:22 AM

Random667 wrote:
My service was shut off by at&t at the end of July but i received a bill for August, i had no service in august. If they knew they were going to charge me for August anyway then they shouldn't have cut off my service at the end of July. I would have paid for august if i would have actually received something, but I'm not giving anyone $300 when i have not received anything in return. I didn't sign anything saying i would pay them money for nothing, and if this goes to court I'm pretty sure that any judge will agree that you can not legally charge someone for something you did not provide. They have lost a long time customer over $300 worth of service they didn't even provide. Its just plain wrong no matter how you try to justify it.

If you where shutoff for no payment, you are not relieved of the responsibility of paying for the contracted service. This is true in anything, from a car loan to a carrier contract, you will lose.

[ Edited ]
4 of 20 (2,563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 9:58:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
What are the dates of service you were billed for? It's unlikely your cycle is actually the first of the month. It's possible your bill was printed before the disconnect. It's also possible, if non-payment was involved, that your service was merely suspended at the start of the billing cycle, so bill hadn't been stopped. You are still billed during a suspension.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 20 (2,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 1:29:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
Service was stopped at the end of July, the bill shows it is for service from Aug 1 to Sept 2, I had no service during this time. If it were a car loan and i missed payments they would just take the car back, i wouldn't have to keep making payments for a car i no longer had. I'm not paying for something i did not receive, its as simple as that.

6 of 20 (2,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 2:20:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
And its not about win or lose, its about whats right and whats wrong. Charging someone for a service that you did not provide is wrong.

7 of 20 (2,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 2:30:23 PM
(0)
Expert

Random667 wrote:
Service was stopped at the end of July, the bill shows it is for service from Aug 1 to Sept 2, I had no service during this time. If it were a car loan and i missed payments they would just take the car back, i wouldn't have to keep making payments for a car i no longer had. I'm not paying for something i did not receive, its as simple as that.

actually no, might want to check into that - doesn;t work that way

8 of 20 (2,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 2:40:10 PM
(0)
Tutor
Actually, even if this goes to court and At&t wins the court case, they still loose. They loose a customer of 10 years, and all the money they could have got from me continuing to be a loyal customer. My bill is around $300 per month, lets say i stayed with them for another 10 years, that's $300 x 12 months x 10 years = $36,000.00 So in the long run it will cost them thousands of dollars from me, and potentially more from anyone who listens to me and stays away from at&t.

9 of 20 (2,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 5:23:08 PM
(0)
Expert

Random667 wrote:
Actually, even if this goes to court and At&t wins the court case, they still loose. They loose a customer of 10 years, and all the money they could have got from me continuing to be a loyal customer. My bill is around $300 per month, lets say i stayed with them for another 10 years, that's $300 x 12 months x 10 years = $36,000.00 So in the long run it will cost them thousands of dollars from me, and potentially more from anyone who listens to me and stays away from at&t.

read your terms - arbitration is a key word in them and you might want to start checking your credit scores.

good luck in your endevors...

10 of 20 (2,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 6:00:28 PM
(0)
Employee

You need to read terms or service before getting wireless service. You signed a contract that states you will continue making payments on time for the duration of the contract. Just because you decided not to pay your bill, does not mean that you are relieved of the responsibility to pay. You will be charges monthly service charges until your service is cancelld, at which point you will have to deal with collections and lose your wireless number after 59 days and charge ETF. If you don't want to pay your bill, I suggest a GoPhone which you are more than welcome to pay on month to month basis. Otherwise, it would be a good time to set up arrangement to pay off your balance and get the account in good standing. ATT is fairly good with setting payment arrangements when there are different circumstances that prevent you from paying on time. That is, of course, for those who pay their bills and keep those arrangments before they are suspended.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

11 of 20 (2,470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2012 6:05:13 PM
(0)
Employee
If you can't pay your bill or even call to ask for an extension, you cannot say that you will be a valuable customer for the next 10 years. Please read the terms of service. I suggest maybe getting a GoPhone. It seems to be a better option. Good luck!
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

12 of 20 (2,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2012 8:52:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

I've been a good customer for 10 years, my wife was hospitalized in July and i had more important things to do than call at&t.
They could have just dropped the charge for the month they didn't provide service, but they would rather lose a customer than one months fees for service they didnt even provide.
I've already switched to T-Mobile and Suddenlink.

13 of 20 (2,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2012 4:16:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
After a period of not paying your bill, AT&T will suspend your service. This is designed to motivate you to pay your bill, so they can keep you as a customer. As such, during this time your account remains active and your still accrue charges. During this time if you pay your bill your service is restored almost immediately, with only a small reconnection charge.

However, if AT&T doesn't hear from you during that time, they assume you no longer want their service and close your account. Billing stops at the end of the current billing cycle. Your account is completely closed, you're billed your ETF (if any) and you are no longer a customer. If you let things get to this point, you aren't a customer at all any more, and isn't going to be concerned with keeping you, because you already made to get the decision to leave.

I'm sorry if you don't think this is fair, but it is what it is. I sympathize with your situation; I'm sure the phone company would be the last thing on my mind if my spouse was in the hospital. Nevertheless, the onus is upon you to be in communication with AT&T to let them know your intentions...if not, they will assume you no longer care to be a customer.

14 of 20 (2,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2012 6:32:26 PM
(0)
Employee

T-Mobile charges reconnect fees per line and does not allow you to change plan or features to lower your bill if you are past due. I am also an ATT Customer and the company works with me on my payment options and allows me to make changes. I also help customers with their payment arrangements and I think ATT works really good with making exceptions for circumstances that people may face. Good luck!

15 of 20 (1,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2012 10:50:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

If you went to work five days a week for 10 years and then your boss stopped paying you and did not explain why, would you keep going back there and working? Or would you refuse to work for that boss anymore until he gave you that back-pay?

16 of 20 (1,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2012 2:21:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

So...AT&T will get paid regardless...I'm sure it's in the contract.  

Welcome to the United Corporations of America.  Are you all registered to vote?

17 of 20 (1,509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2012 4:31:41 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:33:04 AM

golfnwaltz wrote:

So...AT&T will get paid regardless...I'm sure it's in the contract.  

Welcome to the United Corporations of America.  Are you all registered to vote?

or you might want to do something even easier - read the leagally binding contract that you sign when you get any type of service - it has all the information in it that you need to know about what you are repsonsible for - has nothing to do with what you are saving and has everything to do with being a informed consumer. By the way to be 100 percent accurate - replace att with the cord "carrier" since every carrier down to the lowly cricket has the same exact wording - no carrier will promise coverage all the time - it is technologically impossible

[ Edited ]
18 of 20 (1,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 10:24:01 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Taylarie on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:56:22 AM

I have Internet and phone service with ATT. I use to have mobile until they surprised me with a thousand dollar phone bill worth of data charges without letting me know at all before I went over.  I was just a new customer.  I am a young mother and I trusted ATT and they let me and my family  down. I tried to talk to them and they don't care about their customers at all. I felt like a victim of abuse like I had just been  violated the way they treated me when I tried to ask for help. I realized that I'm just another number with a dollar sign to them.  So,  my mother is helping me [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]..  Just recently I had my Internet shut off because I just gave birth to a baby boy and money was low.  We were able to keep the home phone on.  But,  we had to wait on the Internet.  My mother stepped in to help me. She's been great! I recently had brain surgery and lost my second baby as a result, so, she understands my situation. My mother found out that my husband and I were being charged for services we were not using.  How can that even be legal?  She is going to contact her "friends" about this and the fcc. She works for Sprint and if you get disconnected for nonpayment during your bill cycle,  they actually prorate you credit AND not charge you for the next Month. Bottom line is that they actually care that you are human and wooden hard for your money and charge you for services that you use.  They are honest and reputable.  My home phone is horrible with voice quality and they don't even help with that so I'm paying money for services that are garbled and can't understand half of the conversation. How is any of this legal?  Last I heard,  policy NEVER overrides the actual law. There can be no possible way a company can charge you services that are not provided. They told my mother they have the right to charge to keep the lines "open". Lol! What a joke! Sprint doesn't do that.  It looks like they follow the law to a tee! The rep at ATT told my mom they need the money to cover their legal fees and pay collection agencies, etc.... That's on top of the $25 reconnection fees per line they charge you. There is simply no excuse to abuse their customers like this. None. I'm even going to write our president about this, too, because it appears many Americans in this tough economy are going through the same as me and my family with ATT. 

[ Edited ]
19 of 20 (588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 11:57:32 AM
(0)

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

20 of 20 (529 Views)