Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 24, 2014
12:20:12 PM
View profile
Charged for new minutes, account deactivated on the same day
Edited by flego555 on Apr 24, 2014 at 12:22:43 PM

I have been an AT&T customer for ten years and my family has three GoPhone accounts, and one contract account, with AT&T. Recently I have had a serious problem with one of the GoPhone accounts. This GoPhone's minutes were going to expire in March, so I refilled my account with, and was charged with, $25 on March 4 or 5 (as it appears on my bank statement), before the expiration date.

I had had some issues with the phone before that, for example, it was sending double texts and I was receiving double charge messages, so I thought there was a problem with the hardware or SIM card and did not have time to research the problem for a few weeks. When I did look up the problem I found out my account had been deactivated. I received no notice that my account would be deactivated.

On April 20 I spent two hours on the AT&T help line with about seven different people who could not explain why my phone had been deactivated, or why I had been charged for a month of service I never got to use. A payments manager was incredibly rude to me and asked, “If the problem supposedly happened on March 5, why are you calling now on April 20?” It was not his business anyway, nor did it pertain to the issue with my phone, but I am busy and did not have the time (two hours, as it turned out) to devote to resolving the phone problem until April 20 (and the problem was actually never resolved). I also did not imagine that it was as serious as my account being deactivated; I thought it was just a hardware issue.

The last person I spoke to finally told me that my account had been deactivated on March 5, which is when I was charged with the $25 account refill I had ordered. I don't understand why my account was deactivated the same day I was charged with the refill. None of the customer service representatives I spoke to could explain this to me. The last person also reluctantly told me that my phone number had already been given away, as well as my SIM card number.

I asked this representative, who told me his name was Jonathan, to speak with a manager. He said none were available. I asked for an address to write a formal complaint. He gave me the address to what appears to be a random AT&T store in Indiana.

As I have stated, I do not understand why AT&T charged me the $25 refill and then on the same day deactivated my account, with no notice. I am now stuck with a useless phone that has no working number or SIM card. I was going to upgrade my four phones to the $160 a month AT&T family plan, but after my experience with AT&T and its customer service representatives, I am now planning on canceling all three other phone plans, including the contract, unless this issue is successfully resolved for me. It is obvious AT&T does not value me as a customer. As a GoPhone account, I can't chat with AT&T online and there is no general e-mail for me to use so I will post my story to AT&T's Facebook, Twitter, and so on until the issue is resolved.

I have been an AT&T customer for ten years and my family has three GoPhone accounts, and one contract account, with AT&T. Recently I have had a serious problem with one of the GoPhone accounts. This GoPhone's minutes were going to expire in March, so I refilled my account with, and was charged with, $25 on March 4 or 5 (as it appears on my bank statement), before the expiration date.

I had had some issues with the phone before that, for example, it was sending double texts and I was receiving double charge messages, so I thought there was a problem with the hardware or SIM card and did not have time to research the problem for a few weeks. When I did look up the problem I found out my account had been deactivated. I received no notice that my account would be deactivated.

On April 20 I spent two hours on the AT&T help line with about seven different people who could not explain why my phone had been deactivated, or why I had been charged for a month of service I never got to use. A payments manager was incredibly rude to me and asked, “If the problem supposedly happened on March 5, why are you calling now on April 20?” It was not his business anyway, nor did it pertain to the issue with my phone, but I am busy and did not have the time (two hours, as it turned out) to devote to resolving the phone problem until April 20 (and the problem was actually never resolved). I also did not imagine that it was as serious as my account being deactivated; I thought it was just a hardware issue.

The last person I spoke to finally told me that my account had been deactivated on March 5, which is when I was charged with the $25 account refill I had ordered. I don't understand why my account was deactivated the same day I was charged with the refill. None of the customer service representatives I spoke to could explain this to me. The last person also reluctantly told me that my phone number had already been given away, as well as my SIM card number.

I asked this representative, who told me his name was Jonathan, to speak with a manager. He said none were available. I asked for an address to write a formal complaint. He gave me the address to what appears to be a random AT&T store in Indiana.

As I have stated, I do not understand why AT&T charged me the $25 refill and then on the same day deactivated my account, with no notice. I am now stuck with a useless phone that has no working number or SIM card. I was going to upgrade my four phones to the $160 a month AT&T family plan, but after my experience with AT&T and its customer service representatives, I am now planning on canceling all three other phone plans, including the contract, unless this issue is successfully resolved for me. It is obvious AT&T does not value me as a customer. As a GoPhone account, I can't chat with AT&T online and there is no general e-mail for me to use so I will post my story to AT&T's Facebook, Twitter, and so on until the issue is resolved.

Charged for new minutes, account deactivated on the same day

[ Edited ]
2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 25, 2014 5:26:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you haven't already done so, I would file a dispute for the $25 refill payment you made on March 5th with your credit card co. or bank.  (It sounds like you used a bank debit card, and I'm not familiar with the options for disputing charges on a bank debit card - so if the option is there, I'd check into it quickly as you may only have 60 days from the date of the charge to dispute it.)

And the phone number associated with that SIM should not have been recycled before 60 days after the account expiration - so I don't believe you've received accurate information thus far re: what happened and your current account status.  

I completely understand your frustration as GoPhone customers are not given all the options for contact that post paid account customers are, and it's luck of the draw as to whether you get a customer service rep who is knowledgeable and wants to take the time to truly determine what the issue is and to assist the customer.  While posting on all the social media fronts may help, the most likely way to get *resolution* (if that's really what you are still after) is to call customer service back - and keep calling back if need be until you get a rep who is willing and able to help you.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

If you haven't already done so, I would file a dispute for the $25 refill payment you made on March 5th with your credit card co. or bank.  (It sounds like you used a bank debit card, and I'm not familiar with the options for disputing charges on a bank debit card - so if the option is there, I'd check into it quickly as you may only have 60 days from the date of the charge to dispute it.)

And the phone number associated with that SIM should not have been recycled before 60 days after the account expiration - so I don't believe you've received accurate information thus far re: what happened and your current account status.  

I completely understand your frustration as GoPhone customers are not given all the options for contact that post paid account customers are, and it's luck of the draw as to whether you get a customer service rep who is knowledgeable and wants to take the time to truly determine what the issue is and to assist the customer.  While posting on all the social media fronts may help, the most likely way to get *resolution* (if that's really what you are still after) is to call customer service back - and keep calling back if need be until you get a rep who is willing and able to help you.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Charged for new minutes, account deactivated on the same day

2 of 3 (359 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 12:22:47 PM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @flego555 

I'm sorry you're having some issues with your service. This whole situation does sound odd, and since it

s account specific, as advised you, you might want to contact customer care for help. You can also get in touch with our Social Media Care team by sending a private message here. If you do that, please include your full name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @flego555 

I'm sorry you're having some issues with your service. This whole situation does sound odd, and since it

s account specific, as advised you, you might want to contact customer care for help. You can also get in touch with our Social Media Care team by sending a private message here. If you do that, please include your full name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Charged for new minutes, account deactivated on the same day

3 of 3 (297 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments