Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 4, 2013
8:47:26 AM
View profile
Charged an early termination fee after verifying that my contract was over

In August my husband and I were interested in starting a new plan with more data and new phones. I couldn't remember when our contract was up (our online bills only went back until 2012 and I knew we began our contract in 2011) so I went to the ATT stand in the Jacksonville Mall here in Jacksonville, NC to ask. I gave the guy (I think his name was Aaron) our information and as he looked at the computer he said that our contract was over in June and that we were all set ready to start a new plan with new phones. I assumed he was looking at our account information and I trusted what he told me. We were undecided about what phones to get and we chose to wait until the new iphone came out in September.

In September we chose to switch carriers for our new phones and wireless plans because Jacksonville, NC is not in ATT's 4G LTE network. We ported out our numbers under the assumption that our contract was over with ATT. Then, a couple days ago I got a bill for $232 for two prorated early termination fees. I called ATT and Jacob told me that because the guy at the mall did not note in our account that he gave us information in August, that there is nothing he can do.

We were in no hurry to end our contract. I never would have ported my number out if I knew that our contract was not over. I specifically asked this question to an ATT representative and I was given incorrect information. This is a lot of money that I did not budget to pay this month. Is there anything I can do?

In August my husband and I were interested in starting a new plan with more data and new phones. I couldn't remember when our contract was up (our online bills only went back until 2012 and I knew we began our contract in 2011) so I went to the ATT stand in the Jacksonville Mall here in Jacksonville, NC to ask. I gave the guy (I think his name was Aaron) our information and as he looked at the computer he said that our contract was over in June and that we were all set ready to start a new plan with new phones. I assumed he was looking at our account information and I trusted what he told me. We were undecided about what phones to get and we chose to wait until the new iphone came out in September.

In September we chose to switch carriers for our new phones and wireless plans because Jacksonville, NC is not in ATT's 4G LTE network. We ported out our numbers under the assumption that our contract was over with ATT. Then, a couple days ago I got a bill for $232 for two prorated early termination fees. I called ATT and Jacob told me that because the guy at the mall did not note in our account that he gave us information in August, that there is nothing he can do.

We were in no hurry to end our contract. I never would have ported my number out if I knew that our contract was not over. I specifically asked this question to an ATT representative and I was given incorrect information. This is a lot of money that I did not budget to pay this month. Is there anything I can do?

Charged an early termination fee after verifying that my contract was over

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 10:16:28 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, jaclynkokx!

I'm so sorry to hear about the recent confusion surrounding your contract end date. It's possible the rep gave you your upgrade eligibility date instead of your contract termination date. At your upgrade eligibility date, you would have been eligible for a new contract and new phones.

However, since there is no way to know for sure, I recommend you send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

In your message, please include your name, phone number, email address and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, jaclynkokx!

I'm so sorry to hear about the recent confusion surrounding your contract end date. It's possible the rep gave you your upgrade eligibility date instead of your contract termination date. At your upgrade eligibility date, you would have been eligible for a new contract and new phones.

However, since there is no way to know for sure, I recommend you send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

In your message, please include your name, phone number, email address and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Charged an early termination fee after verifying that my contract was over

2 of 4 (593 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 11:37:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi Mariana,

Thank you for the quick reply. I sent a private message. I realize you guys probably get complaints about early termination fees frequently. I'm sorry for being another complainer. I honestly never meant to break our agreement with ATT. I appreciate any time taken to take a further look into this for us. These early termination fees are the only concern I have. 

Sincerely,

Jackie

Hi Mariana,

Thank you for the quick reply. I sent a private message. I realize you guys probably get complaints about early termination fees frequently. I'm sorry for being another complainer. I honestly never meant to break our agreement with ATT. I appreciate any time taken to take a further look into this for us. These early termination fees are the only concern I have. 

Sincerely,

Jackie

3 of 4 (579 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 12:55:56 PM
(0)
Community Manager

No problem at all! It's important that we get this figured out for you. While you're waiting for a response from our Care team, if you think of anything else you need help with, please let me know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

No problem at all! It's important that we get this figured out for you. While you're waiting for a response from our Care team, if you think of anything else you need help with, please let me know!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (572 Views)