Cancelling a line on a family plan.

Highlighted
Voyager

Cancelling a line on a family plan.

As of the 7th of June, I will be past my 1 year mark and will receive my deposit back. So I was curious as to a few things.. I currently have a family plan and I plan on turning 1 line off and re-verting back to an individual plan. Is there going to be any fees to go with me shutting one phone off or is that only when I cancel the contract? Thanks, Cody
Message 1 of 16
Mentor

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.

If the line that u are going to cancel is still under a contract, you will be charged for the early termination fee

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 16
Voyager

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.

Thanks, that was all I needed to know. Rather dissatisfied with the service so paying a fee to cancel isn't all that bad, I suppose.
Message 3 of 16
Voyager

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.

Thinking back.. I shouldn't be charged to get out a contract when my service has been horrible, so is there any way to getting out of an early termination fee? Also, will the contract be dropped once I cancel the line originally opened with the contract? Or can my second line still remain and use up the last year of it?
Message 4 of 16
Professor

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.


CodyDelancy wrote:
Thinking back.. I shouldn't be charged to get out a contract when my service has been horrible, so is there any way to getting out of an early termination fee? Also, will the contract be dropped once I cancel the line originally opened with the contract? Or can my second line still remain and use up the last year of it?

NO, unless you are moving out of the country and have proof of residency (utility bill or bill from foreign wireless carrier),  or the acct holder died, or if you are being deployed for the military (i believe deployment orders would be needed in this case)

 

if you don't meet the above then no, poor service is not a reason to have your ETF waived. Sry

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 16
Master

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.

 


MrKroppcircles wrote:

NO, unless you are moving out of the country and have proof of residency (utility bill or bill from foreign wireless carrier),


Also if you move into a non ATT covered ares in the US.

 

Message 6 of 16
Contributor

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.

Can I not be charged the ETF if I am only canceling the second line and only keeping the main.

My sister lost her job, and I am a college student barely able to pay for both of our service.

 

I am happy to keep my contract, i just need help.

Message 7 of 16
Expert

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.


jrleon1 wrote:

Can I not be charged the ETF if I am only canceling the second line and only keeping the main.

My sister lost her job, and I am a college student barely able to pay for both of our service.

 

I am happy to keep my contract, i just need help.


each line on a family plan is a seperate contract subject to ETF is the phone is not kept for time period in the contract, so if the second line is within contract, yes you will be charged the ETF

Message 8 of 16
Employee

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.

planet-ed, I think that only works because they will probably cancel you for roaming too much assuming there is partner coverage in that location.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 9 of 16
Contributor

Re: Canceling a line on a family plan.

I'm glad to see that AT&T has finally allowed early cancellation w/o a termination fee when you move to a state AT&T does not provide service to.  That wasn't the case when I moved to such a state a few years ago. . . . they wanted me to pay a fee and when I refused, they began billing me monthly for some sort of "service" and reported me to the credit reporting agencies.  I had to go to the attorney general to get the matter resolved.  

Message 10 of 16
Contributor

Re: Canceling a line on a family plan.

I currently have 4 lines on my family plan.  My daughter is moving out so she got a new phone on a different plan.  The contract on her line is not up until April 2014.  However, the contract is up on my line next month.  Can I drop down to only 3 lines but still choose to have my number in service and not hers?

Message 11 of 16
Expert

Re: Canceling a line on a family plan.


smokey888 wrote:

I currently have 4 lines on my family plan.  My daughter is moving out so she got a new phone on a different plan.  The contract on her line is not up until April 2014.  However, the contract is up on my line next month.  Can I drop down to only 3 lines but still choose to have my number in service and not hers?


no, etf will cancel the line and the number. You will be required to pay the etf to cancel her number. The etf's are

 

Smartphone - 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

Basic phone - 150.00 - (4.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

 

If the cost is step and she has a smartphone you can purchase a inexpensive att basic gophone, move the sim over to it, then cancel the data plan and just pay the 9.99 a month till contract end

Message 12 of 16
Contributor

Re: Canceling a line on a family plan.

If I suspended the service until the contract is up, does that suspend the charges for data and I am simply just paying the 9.99 per month until then?




Message 13 of 16
Expert

Re: Canceling a line on a family plan.


smokey888 wrote:
If I suspended the service until the contract is up, does that suspend the charges for data and I am simply just paying the 9.99 per month until then?




when you suspend service the contract does not count down, it freezes at what ever time is left on the 2 year agreement. If you swap to a basic phone you can cancel the data plan

Message 14 of 16
Contributor

Re: Canceling a line on a family plan.

so if the phone is lost - and I just want to pay my 9.99 until the contract is over - I am stuck paying for data on a phone that I am no longer using?  And you are suggesting that I have to actually purchase another phone for a line no longer in use???  Am I the only one who thinks this sounds crazy?

Message 15 of 16
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support