Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted May 23, 2010
5:25:53 AM
Cancelling a line on a family plan.
As of the 7th of June, I will be past my 1 year mark and will receive my deposit back. So I was curious as to a few things.. I currently have a family plan and I plan on turning 1 line off and re-verting back to an individual plan. Is there going to be any fees to go with me shutting one phone off or is that only when I cancel the contract? Thanks, Cody
As of the 7th of June, I will be past my 1 year mark and will receive my deposit back. So I was curious as to a few things.. I currently have a family plan and I plan on turning 1 line off and re-verting back to an individual plan. Is there going to be any fees to go with me shutting one phone off or is that only when I cancel the contract? Thanks, Cody

Cancelling a line on a family plan.

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 6:14:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

If the line that u are going to cancel is still under a contract, you will be charged for the early termination fee

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

If the line that u are going to cancel is still under a contract, you will be charged for the early termination fee

Re: Cancelling a line on a family plan.

2 of 16 (54,762 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 10:56:01 AM
(0)
Voyager
Thanks, that was all I needed to know. Rather dissatisfied with the service so paying a fee to cancel isn't all that bad, I suppose.
Thanks, that was all I needed to know. Rather dissatisfied with the service so paying a fee to cancel isn't all that bad, I suppose.

3 of 16 (54,755 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 11:19:04 AM
(0)
Voyager
Thinking back.. I shouldn't be charged to get out a contract when my service has been horrible, so is there any way to getting out of an early termination fee? Also, will the contract be dropped once I cancel the line originally opened with the contract? Or can my second line still remain and use up the last year of it?
Thinking back.. I shouldn't be charged to get out a contract when my service has been horrible, so is there any way to getting out of an early termination fee? Also, will the contract be dropped once I cancel the line originally opened with the contract? Or can my second line still remain and use up the last year of it?

4 of 16 (54,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 11:49:32 AM
(0)
Professor

CodyDelancy wrote:

NO, unless you are moving out of the country and have proof of residency (utility bill or bill from foreign wireless carrier),  or the acct holder died, or if you are being deployed for the military (i believe deployment orders would be needed in this case)

if you don't meet the above then no, poor service is not a reason to have your ETF waived. Sry

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

CodyDelancy wrote:

NO, unless you are moving out of the country and have proof of residency (utility bill or bill from foreign wireless carrier),  or the acct holder died, or if you are being deployed for the military (i believe deployment orders would be needed in this case)

if you don't meet the above then no, poor service is not a reason to have your ETF waived. Sry

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 16 (54,749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2010 11:52:19 AM
(0)
Master

MrKroppcircles wrote:

NO, unless you are moving out of the country and have proof of residency (utility bill or bill from foreign wireless carrier),

Also if you move into a non ATT covered ares in the US.

MrKroppcircles wrote:

NO, unless you are moving out of the country and have proof of residency (utility bill or bill from foreign wireless carrier),

Also if you move into a non ATT covered ares in the US.

6 of 16 (54,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2011 11:27:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

Can I not be charged the ETF if I am only canceling the second line and only keeping the main.

My sister lost her job, and I am a college student barely able to pay for both of our service.

I am happy to keep my contract, i just need help.

Can I not be charged the ETF if I am only canceling the second line and only keeping the main.

My sister lost her job, and I am a college student barely able to pay for both of our service.

7 of 16 (51,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 2:58:53 AM
(0)
Expert

jrleon1 wrote:

each line on a family plan is a seperate contract subject to ETF is the phone is not kept for time period in the contract, so if the second line is within contract, yes you will be charged the ETF

jrleon1 wrote:

each line on a family plan is a seperate contract subject to ETF is the phone is not kept for time period in the contract, so if the second line is within contract, yes you will be charged the ETF

8 of 16 (51,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 3:20:23 AM
(0)
Employee
planet-ed, I think that only works because they will probably cancel you for roaming too much assuming there is partner coverage in that location.
planet-ed, I think that only works because they will probably cancel you for roaming too much assuming there is partner coverage in that location.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

9 of 16 (51,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2012 3:50:32 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm glad to see that AT&T has finally allowed early cancellation w/o a termination fee when you move to a state AT&T does not provide service to.  That wasn't the case when I moved to such a state a few years ago. . . . they wanted me to pay a fee and when I refused, they began billing me monthly for some sort of "service" and reported me to the credit reporting agencies.  I had to go to the attorney general to get the matter resolved.  

I'm glad to see that AT&T has finally allowed early cancellation w/o a termination fee when you move to a state AT&T does not provide service to.  That wasn't the case when I moved to such a state a few years ago. . . . they wanted me to pay a fee and when I refused, they began billing me monthly for some sort of "service" and reported me to the credit reporting agencies.  I had to go to the attorney general to get the matter resolved.  

Re: Canceling a line on a family plan.

10 of 16 (30,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:29:52 AM
(0)
Contributor

I currently have 4 lines on my family plan.  My daughter is moving out so she got a new phone on a different plan.  The contract on her line is not up until April 2014.  However, the contract is up on my line next month.  Can I drop down to only 3 lines but still choose to have my number in service and not hers?

I currently have 4 lines on my family plan.  My daughter is moving out so she got a new phone on a different plan.  The contract on her line is not up until April 2014.  However, the contract is up on my line next month.  Can I drop down to only 3 lines but still choose to have my number in service and not hers?

11 of 16 (23,733 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:40:27 AM
(0)
Expert

smokey888 wrote:

no, etf will cancel the line and the number. You will be required to pay the etf to cancel her number. The etf's are

Smartphone - 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

Basic phone - 150.00 - (4.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

If the cost is step and she has a smartphone you can purchase a inexpensive att basic gophone, move the sim over to it, then cancel the data plan and just pay the 9.99 a month till contract end

smokey888 wrote:

no, etf will cancel the line and the number. You will be required to pay the etf to cancel her number. The etf's are

Smartphone - 325.00 - (10.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

Basic phone - 150.00 - (4.00 * number of completed billing cycles)

If the cost is step and she has a smartphone you can purchase a inexpensive att basic gophone, move the sim over to it, then cancel the data plan and just pay the 9.99 a month till contract end

12 of 16 (23,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:57:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by smokey888 on Aug 27, 2013 at 11:12:38 AM

If I suspended the service until the contract is up, does that suspend the charges for data and I am simply just paying the 9.99 per month until then?

If I suspended the service until the contract is up, does that suspend the charges for data and I am simply just paying the 9.99 per month until then?

[ Edited ]
13 of 16 (23,722 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 10:59:53 AM
(0)
Expert

smokey888 wrote:

when you suspend service the contract does not count down, it freezes at what ever time is left on the 2 year agreement. If you swap to a basic phone you can cancel the data plan

smokey888 wrote:

when you suspend service the contract does not count down, it freezes at what ever time is left on the 2 year agreement. If you swap to a basic phone you can cancel the data plan

14 of 16 (23,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 11:15:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

so if the phone is lost - and I just want to pay my 9.99 until the contract is over - I am stuck paying for data on a phone that I am no longer using?  And you are suggesting that I have to actually purchase another phone for a line no longer in use???  Am I the only one who thinks this sounds crazy?

so if the phone is lost - and I just want to pay my 9.99 until the contract is over - I am stuck paying for data on a phone that I am no longer using?  And you are suggesting that I have to actually purchase another phone for a line no longer in use???  Am I the only one who thinks this sounds crazy?

15 of 16 (23,709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2013 11:46:12 AM
(0)
Expert

smokey888 wrote:

As long as the IMEI number of the smartphone is on the line you will be charged for data. go to best buy and get this phone

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AT%26T+GoPhone+-+U2800A+No-Contract+Mobile+Phone+-+Black/3529135.p?id=12...

then you can either ask at best buy or a corporate store for a new sim for that phone number, put it in the device and then call to remove the data plan

smokey888 wrote:

As long as the IMEI number of the smartphone is on the line you will be charged for data. go to best buy and get this phone

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AT%26T+GoPhone+-+U2800A+No-Contract+Mobile+Phone+-+Black/3529135.p?id=1218408988812&skuId=3529135

then you can either ask at best buy or a corporate store for a new sim for that phone number, put it in the device and then call to remove the data plan

16 of 16 (23,700 Views)