Canada travel

Tutor

Canada travel

I will be in Vancouver Canada overnight before and after Alaska cruise. Will I be able to use my iPhone 3s for free wi if service where available? Also what about when I am in port in Alaska ? I am concerned about texting and email. I do not need phone service. Thanks.
Message 1 of 12 (663 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Canada travel

You will be able to use Wi-Fi free of charge yes. However.. As far as texting, you be roaming on another carriers network since AT&T nor any U.S carrier operates outside of the U.S.

If you are going to be texting via iMessage, then you have nothing to worry about as long as your on wifi Smiley Wink
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (635 Views)
ACE - Master

Jtm312 wrote:
I will be in Vancouver Canada overnight before and after Alaska cruise. Will I be able to use my iPhone 3s for free wi if service where available? Also what about when I am in port in Alaska ? I am concerned about texting and email. I do not need phone service. Thanks.

Yes. I was in Alaska for a cruise in June and the AT&T coverage in port cities was pretty good. As for Vancouver, yes it will work fine on any free wifi service you find. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12 (635 Views)
Tutor

To achieve this do I turn on airplane mode? What are the steps? Thank you.
Message 4 of 12 (627 Views)
Professor

There are three International Roaming voice plans for Canada and Mexico that you might want to consider, the cheapest being 80 minutes for $30. There are also three International Roaming Messaging plans that can be added. You can get 200 messages for $30. I added this plan for my son when he went on a cruise a few weeks ago so he'd be able to stay in touch.

Message 5 of 12 (598 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

If you turn on Airplane mode, all services are shut off, including WiFi and Bluetooth. You can then turn on WiFi separately.

Message 6 of 12 (595 Views)
ACE - Master

Max69 wrote:

If you turn on Airplane mode, all services are shut off, including WiFi and Bluetooth. You can then turn on WiFi separately.

To avoid international roaming as far as data is concerned, all you really have to do is turn off data roaming. Go to Settings/General/Cellular and set "Data Roaming" to off.

That way, you will still be able to receive phone calls and normal SMS text messages (incoming SMS messages are free). If you want to send any SMS/MMS messages and don't get an international text plan, the cose it $.050/msg.

Message 7 of 12 (562 Views)
Tutor

I have the iPhone 3s and have two different kinds of texting. The one is regular text green color and the other is blue to another iPhone AT &T user. What is the difference and would either of these be free for incoming and outgoing without any plan?
Message 8 of 12 (520 Views)
ACE - Professor

The green one is text message. These will count toward your text messaging plan. This also requires the cellular network, so it would not be a good option to use during your trip, unless u sign up with a prepaid carrier in Canada (assuming your phone is unlocked).

The blue one is iMessage. This does NOT count toward your text messaging plan. This uses data. It will operate with wifi without any problems and is free (unless your on the cellular network in Canada).
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 12 (505 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for clarifying. One further question. While I am on board ship will I be able to do iMessage free? Your info seems to suggest no, but I thought I was able to do so last year on board on Caribbean cruise.
My many thanks for your patience.
Message 10 of 12 (494 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Jtm312 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying. One further question. While I am on board ship will I be able to do iMessage free? Your info seems to suggest no, but I thought I was able to do so last year on board on Caribbean cruise.

If you will have free wifi service, then you will be able to use iMessage for free onboard the ship.  If you have to pay for wifi service, then your iMessage service will not be free, but it should be included in your wifi charges.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 11 of 12 (485 Views)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

Jtm312 wrote:

If you will have free wifi service, then you will be able to use iMessage for free onboard the ship.  If you have to pay for wifi service, then your iMessage service will not be free, but it should be included in your wifi charges.

wifi internet access on cruise ships is not cheap and most of the cruise ship companies charge for it

http://cruiseadvice.org/CruiseShipWifiInternet.aspx

Message 12 of 12 (469 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.