Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 1, 2013
5:19:26 PM
View profile
Can you transfer SIM to microSIM without a phone?

I have a phone with a regular SIM card.  I have a new Android smartphone that is being shipped to me.

I need to transfer my GoPhone 10 cent/minute plan and number from SIM to microSIM.  

Can I do this at an AT&T store if my new phone hasn't arrived yet?  I want to have it ready when my phone is delivered.

Also, are there more than one type of microSIM card?

I have a phone with a regular SIM card.  I have a new Android smartphone that is being shipped to me.

I need to transfer my GoPhone 10 cent/minute plan and number from SIM to microSIM.  

Can I do this at an AT&T store if my new phone hasn't arrived yet?  I want to have it ready when my phone is delivered.

Can you transfer SIM to microSIM without a phone?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 7:18:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

vtujfz wrote:

Yes, as long as your account is active they should be able to do it. If you get a microSIM to SIM adapter you can use the microSIM in your current phone until the new one arrives. Keep in mind, that with the 10cent/min plan you'll need to turn your data off on the phone or else you'll be in for a nasty surprise.

vtujfz wrote:

Yes, as long as your account is active they should be able to do it. If you get a microSIM to SIM adapter you can use the microSIM in your current phone until the new one arrives. Keep in mind, that with the 10cent/min plan you'll need to turn your data off on the phone or else you'll be in for a nasty surprise.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can you transfer SIM to microSIM without a phone?

2 of 6 (1,822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 2, 2013 7:24:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

dmapr wrote:

Yes you need to turn off data if you're using a basic/feature phone as it will charge you $0.01/5kb. But if you'll be using the smartphone, there's no way it can use pay per use data. If you're data allowance/package reaches zero, it would stop.  So you don't have to worry of any overages.

dmapr wrote:

Yes you need to turn off data if you're using a basic/feature phone as it will charge you $0.01/5kb. But if you'll be using the smartphone, there's no way it can use pay per use data. If you're data allowance/package reaches zero, it would stop.  So you don't have to worry of any overages.

3 of 6 (1,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 12:50:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

Are there different types of microSIM cards? 

Currently my phone is a smartphone, 10 cent per minute, using 3G.

4 of 6 (1,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 7:03:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

vtujfz wrote:

I'm not aware of any differences. When I replaced my Galaxy Nexus with Galaxy S4 I just cut the SIM down to micro-SIM size, no issues.

vtujfz wrote:

I'm not aware of any differences. When I replaced my Galaxy Nexus with Galaxy S4 I just cut the SIM down to micro-SIM size, no issues.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (1,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 8:39:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

vtujfz wrote:

There may be different microSIMs for different carriers, but the AT&T ones are all the same. In the past I have bought GoPhone-specific SIMs and they've all worked great. A few months ago I bought a microSIM on Amazon that didnt say whether or not it was GoPhone-specific, so I was a little worried if I would have trouble activating it with a prepaid iPhone. Everything was activated successfully, so it turns out that all AT&T microSIMs are the same. It doesn't matter if you're on a prepaid or postpaid plan. 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

vtujfz wrote:

There may be different microSIMs for different carriers, but the AT&T ones are all the same. In the past I have bought GoPhone-specific SIMs and they've all worked great. A few months ago I bought a microSIM on Amazon that didnt say whether or not it was GoPhone-specific, so I was a little worried if I would have trouble activating it with a prepaid iPhone. Everything was activated successfully, so it turns out that all AT&T microSIMs are the same. It doesn't matter if you're on a prepaid or postpaid plan. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

6 of 6 (1,731 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments