Posted Jul 15, 2013
2:31:46 PM
View profile
Can't open some texts

I have a Samsung Blackjack cell phone.  It's older.  I'm aware of that.  I also have internet services turned permanently off because I don't have a data plan and don't want to pay for one at this time.  However, I AM supposed to have unlimited texting.

I receive all text notifications fine.  I receive some texts fine.  But when I try to open other texts, it says "You have received a Multimedia message notification from (xxx)xxx-xxxx.  Please click on download to download this message."  When I click on Download, it says "Unable to connect.  Verify your profile settings and try again."

When I can't open the text messages, they are always from certain people's phones.  They tell me that they are sending me simple written messages, no pictures or audio.  The number of people whose texts I cannot open is growing.  I suspect that it might have to do with them getting newer phones.  Could I need some sort of a software update in order to get these texts?  Or maybe I need to change a setting on my phone somewhere?  (If so, please direct me to where that would be!)

Thanks.

I have a Samsung Blackjack cell phone.  It's older.  I'm aware of that.  I also have internet services turned permanently off because I don't have a data plan and don't want to pay for one at this time.  However, I AM supposed to have unlimited texting.

I receive all text notifications fine.  I receive some texts fine.  But when I try to open other texts, it says "You have received a Multimedia message notification from (xxx)xxx-xxxx.  Please click on download to download this message."  When I click on Download, it says "Unable to connect.  Verify your profile settings and try again."

When I can't open the text messages, they are always from certain people's phones.  They tell me that they are sending me simple written messages, no pictures or audio.  The number of people whose texts I cannot open is growing.  I suspect that it might have to do with them getting newer phones.  Could I need some sort of a software update in order to get these texts?  Or maybe I need to change a setting on my phone somewhere?  (If so, please direct me to where that would be!)

Thanks.

Can't open some texts

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 11:52:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Jul 18, 2013 at 11:58:53 AM

If those messages were sent as  Multimedia Messages, then data needs to be enabled on your phone in order to download and view them. Sometimes regular text messages, if they are lengthy ones, can be sent as Multimedia Messages (MMS), so there may not be pictures attached to those messages..it just happens to be the way they were sent to you. Without having a data plan, there's no way you'll be able to read those particular kind of messages.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

If those messages were sent as  Multimedia Messages, then data needs to be enabled on your phone in order to download and view them. Sometimes regular text messages, if they are lengthy ones, can be sent as Multimedia Messages (MMS), so there may not be pictures attached to those messages..it just happens to be the way they were sent to you. Without having a data plan, there's no way you'll be able to read those particular kind of messages.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can't open some texts

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 2:43:28 PM
(0)
Can some phones always send texts as Multimedia Messages? Because I have one friend, who is on AT&T, whose messages always come to me like that -- even short text messages. I used to get her texts fine, but since she has upgraded her phone, now I never do.
Can some phones always send texts as Multimedia Messages? Because I have one friend, who is on AT&T, whose messages always come to me like that -- even short text messages. I used to get her texts fine, but since she has upgraded her phone, now I never do.

3 of 5 (368 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 5:31:35 PM
(0)
Expert

Annie D. wrote:

if she has a signature on it a lot of times that is sent as a MMS message

Annie D. wrote:

if she has a signature on it a lot of times that is sent as a MMS message

4 of 5 (356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2013 7:57:17 PM
(0)
Ahhh. That's interesting. OK, thank you!!!
Ahhh. That's interesting. OK, thank you!!!

5 of 5 (331 Views)