Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 20, 2014
3:46:23 PM
View profile
Can only use certain AT&T phones on GoPhone??
Edited by tmann202 on Jan 20, 2014 at 3:51:56 PM

I just called a local corporate store and was told that I couldn't use an AT&T Moto X with GoPhone.  Is this true? If so, why can't you use any AT&T phone, if it is on the same network as the contract plans?

I just called a local corporate store and was told that I couldn't use an AT&T Moto X with GoPhone.  Is this true? If so, why can't you use any AT&T phone, if it is on the same network as the contract plans?

Can only use certain AT&T phones on GoPhone??

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 4:16:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

In my experience it was possible to use any compatible phone with a GoPhone SIM. I've used it in a number of AT&T and non-AT&T devices without any issues.

In my experience it was possible to use any compatible phone with a GoPhone SIM. I've used it in a number of AT&T and non-AT&T devices without any issues.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can only use certain AT&T phones on GoPhone??

2 of 5 (411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 4:55:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks yeah I called customer service and they said any AT&T phone would work. Not sure why the guy at the store told me I couldn't use a Moto X on GoPhone.

Related question: Does every AT&T phone have ALL the bands that AT&T uses? Or is it possible that an phone with AT&T printed on it will not have one or more bands that AT&T currently uses, and therefore the coverage wouldn't be good in certain areas that use those frequencies?

Obviously, I am new to thinking about this stuff and want to make sure. I ask becuase in the specs on Phone Arena, some phones don't have, say, the 700 MHz (band 17) listed, and AT&T uses that band.

Thanks yeah I called customer service and they said any AT&T phone would work. Not sure why the guy at the store told me I couldn't use a Moto X on GoPhone.

Related question: Does every AT&T phone have ALL the bands that AT&T uses? Or is it possible that an phone with AT&T printed on it will not have one or more bands that AT&T currently uses, and therefore the coverage wouldn't be good in certain areas that use those frequencies?

Obviously, I am new to thinking about this stuff and want to make sure. I ask becuase in the specs on Phone Arena, some phones don't have, say, the 700 MHz (band 17) listed, and AT&T uses that band.

3 of 5 (401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2014 10:41:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Obviously as technology progresses older phones start lagging behind the network. AT&T currently runs three technologies: 2G (GSM), 3G (UMTS) and 4G (LTE). Not every phone sold by AT&T will have 4G bands, but I think all of the current ones have at least full 3G support. So it is possible to run into an AT&T phone without all the current bands and technologies, especially among the used ones.

Obviously as technology progresses older phones start lagging behind the network. AT&T currently runs three technologies: 2G (GSM), 3G (UMTS) and 4G (LTE). Not every phone sold by AT&T will have 4G bands, but I think all of the current ones have at least full 3G support. So it is possible to run into an AT&T phone without all the current bands and technologies, especially among the used ones.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (375 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 7:59:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Hi dmapr,
   Most AT&T Gophone sold in the store are 2G fully support in North America only,

3G maybe not fully support .
   Also,they are not world phone!!
  Most AT&T store would not sold you a 4G phone if they know you are using it as a Gophone!!

Hi dmapr,
   Most AT&T Gophone sold in the store are 2G fully support in North America only,

3G maybe not fully support .
   Also,they are not world phone!!
  Most AT&T store would not sold you a 4G phone if they know you are using it as a Gophone!!

5 of 5 (355 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments