Can only use certain AT&T phones on GoPhone??

Teacher

Can only use certain AT&T phones on GoPhone??

I just called a local corporate store and was told that I couldn't use an AT&T Moto X with GoPhone.  Is this true? If so, why can't you use any AT&T phone, if it is on the same network as the contract plans?

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Expert

Re: Can only use certain AT&T phones on GoPhone??

In my experience it was possible to use any compatible phone with a GoPhone SIM. I've used it in a number of AT&T and non-AT&T devices without any issues.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Teacher

Thanks yeah I called customer service and they said any AT&T phone would work. Not sure why the guy at the store told me I couldn't use a Moto X on GoPhone.

Related question: Does every AT&T phone have ALL the bands that AT&T uses? Or is it possible that an phone with AT&T printed on it will not have one or more bands that AT&T currently uses, and therefore the coverage wouldn't be good in certain areas that use those frequencies?

Obviously, I am new to thinking about this stuff and want to make sure. I ask becuase in the specs on Phone Arena, some phones don't have, say, the 700 MHz (band 17) listed, and AT&T uses that band.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Expert

Obviously as technology progresses older phones start lagging behind the network. AT&T currently runs three technologies: 2G (GSM), 3G (UMTS) and 4G (LTE). Not every phone sold by AT&T will have 4G bands, but I think all of the current ones have at least full 3G support. So it is possible to run into an AT&T phone without all the current bands and technologies, especially among the used ones.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Hi dmapr,
   Most AT&T Gophone sold in the store are 2G fully support in North America only,

3G maybe not fully support .
   Also,they are not world phone!!
  Most AT&T store would not sold you a 4G phone if they know you are using it as a Gophone!!

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support