Can I use upgrade to buy new iphone 5s but continue to use current iphone and sell new 5s?

Contributor

Can I use upgrade to buy new iphone 5s but continue to use current iphone and sell new 5s?

Can I purchase the new iphone 5s with my upgrade eligibility, but continue to use my current iphone 5 (which works flawlessly) and try and unlock the 5s to sell and make some $$$? Or will the 5s have a 2 year constraint before it can be unlocked? Or will there be any barriers blocking me from unlocking the 5s? What if i purchase the 5s directly from the apple store? Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 5 (669 Views)
Professor

Re: Can I use upgrade to buy new iphone 5s but continue to use current iphone and sell new 5s?

As long as you purchase the iPhone 5S on an AT&T contract, that contract will have to be fulfilled before the phone can be unlocked no matter where you purchase it from.  You are free to buy an iPhone 5S and continue to use your current phone, but it won't be able to be unlocked until two years are completed.

Message 2 of 5 (658 Views)
Teacher

Re: Can I use upgrade to buy new iphone 5s but continue to use current iphone and sell new 5s?

How can you be eligible for upgrade? If you upgrade to iphone 5 last year, you still need wait for one more year to be fully eligible for upgrade unless you are willing to pay 250 more
Message 3 of 5 (647 Views)
Contributor

Long story basically, I purchased hte 5 at full price when it came out i was only 1 year done with my contract and now i have completed my 2 years as of october so that is how i have a full upgrade available.

Ah man that sucks i wanted to buy the 5s Gold and try and sell it for some profit hahaha

Message 4 of 5 (616 Views)
Contributor

Could I purchase the 5s and sell it to another ATT customer and can they use it on their line?
Message 5 of 5 (615 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.