Can I temporarily disable texting ?

Contributor

Can I temporarily disable texting ?

My son's school does not want cell phone use during school hours. Can I disable text messages during school hours ?

Message 1 of 13 (18,186 Views)
Contributor

Re: Can I temporarily disable texting ?

He has an I phone 4

Message 2 of 13 (18,184 Views)
Professor

Message 3 of 13 (18,175 Views)
Guru

Smart limits won't completely stop text messages. He will still be able to receive texts. I don't think there is anything that will disable text messages for a certain time period.
Message 4 of 13 (18,171 Views)

Facci wrote:
Smart limits won't completely stop text messages. He will still be able to receive texts. I don't think there is anything that will disable text messages for a certain time period.

No...Smart Limits allows you to choose specific times when a person can or cannot recieve messages.

Message 5 of 13 (18,101 Views)
Guru

Underlyingsound wrote:

Facci wrote:

No...Smart Limits allows you to choose specific times when a person can or cannot recieve messages.

I had it on my son's phone because he was up till 3am texting on school nights and it did NOT work!! He could not send texts but people could still text him and he could not call but people could and did call him.
Message 6 of 13 (18,087 Views)

Tell your child "No TxTing" during school. If he/she doesn't comply, TAKE their phone away for a period of time. YOU are the parent. your child should OBEY you. It's called PARENTING.
Message 7 of 13 (18,063 Views)
Contributor

you are brilliant.  noone ever thought of that i'm sure.

Message 8 of 13 (15,171 Views)
Expert

Facci wrote:

Underlyingsound wrote:

Facci wrote:

I had it on my son's phone because he was up till 3am texting on school nights and it did NOT work!! He could not send texts but people could still text him and he could not call but people could and did call him.

It's kind of flakey on a iphone with the imessage app, since imessage does not normally use SMS but data when communicatiing with another iphone with the app.

Message 9 of 13 (15,162 Views)
Guru

This was before he had an iPhone. Hopefully they made changes to Smart Limits but it was not worth the $5 a month. It didn't work the way it was supposed to work.
Message 10 of 13 (15,158 Views)
Contributor

The child is not a dog it is a human, humans are there own people they don't OBEY, they have every right to make their own choices. it's called pushing the child away by trying to have control over them it's an approach that does not work and only backfires.
Message 11 of 13 (9,567 Views)
Professor

It's called making the child responsible for his own actions and paying the consequences when he doesn't follow the rules.

Message 12 of 13 (9,539 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Really Cody?!? I'd hate to see how your kids behave!

If more people had your attitude, Max, kids would be much better behaved and respectful.
Message 13 of 13 (9,489 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.