Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 11, 2013
8:25:12 AM
View profile
Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?
I am eligible for a full upgrade of my phone and want to go from one smartphone to another (Samsung Captivate to Nokia Lumnia 920). I want to keep my services exactly the same: 200 Message Plan for $5 and 200mb Data for $15. I had been warned when I log into my account that if I make any changes to my Data plan that it will be lost forever, and was not happy but willing to accept paying an extra $5 per month for the 300mb plan. But when I tried do the actual upgrade I was only given the option for the Unlimited Messaging at $20 per month. If I have to do that, then I am looking at paying $20 per month more (an additional $5 for the 300mb Data plus $15 for the Unlimited Messaging) for my phone services. Can these 2 plans really not be grandfathered in? It seems that the old Unlimited Messaging plan can be grandfathered in, so why not these? I tried placing my order on Amazon (which is preferred since they charge less for the phone) and on AT&T and neither will allow me to keep those plans. It seems crazy, since I can get a T-Mobile plan that is all unlimited (yes, I know after 500mb it slows down, but that's plenty for me) and it's $30 less than AT&T even without the extra $20 I would be paying after the upgrade. I want to keep AT&T, I like the coverage, but for $50 less per month I will probably give T-Mobile a try.
I am eligible for a full upgrade of my phone and want to go from one smartphone to another (Samsung Captivate to Nokia Lumnia 920). I want to keep my services exactly the same: 200 Message Plan for $5 and 200mb Data for $15. I had been warned when I log into my account that if I make any changes to my Data plan that it will be lost forever, and was not happy but willing to accept paying an extra $5 per month for the 300mb plan. But when I tried do the actual upgrade I was only given the option for the Unlimited Messaging at $20 per month. If I have to do that, then I am looking at paying $20 per month more (an additional $5 for the 300mb Data plus $15 for the Unlimited Messaging) for my phone services. Can these 2 plans really not be grandfathered in? It seems that the old Unlimited Messaging plan can be grandfathered in, so why not these? I tried placing my order on Amazon (which is preferred since they charge less for the phone) and on AT&T and neither will allow me to keep those plans. It seems crazy, since I can get a T-Mobile plan that is all unlimited (yes, I know after 500mb it slows down, but that's plenty for me) and it's $30 less than AT&T even without the extra $20 I would be paying after the upgrade. I want to keep AT&T, I like the coverage, but for $50 less per month I will probably give T-Mobile a try.

Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2013 11:57:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
As far as I know upgrading at a corporate store should let you keep those.
As far as I know upgrading at a corporate store should let you keep those.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?

2 of 4 (641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 1:25:46 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by RubyRubix on Jul 13, 2013 at 1:26:30 PM

I would not mind upgrading at an AT&T store, but I was really hoping to do it through Amazon since their prices on phones are so much better.  Is there any way to do that?  If I go ahead with the upgrade, would I be able to call AT&T to get my plans back, or will they be gone for good?

Thanks for the quick answer!

I would not mind upgrading at an AT&T store, but I was really hoping to do it through Amazon since their prices on phones are so much better.  Is there any way to do that?  If I go ahead with the upgrade, would I be able to call AT&T to get my plans back, or will they be gone for good?

Re: Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?

[ Edited ]
3 of 4 (566 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2013 3:02:40 PM
(0)
Expert

RubyRubix wrote:

You might want to read Amazon;s fine print, they have additional requirements and fines if you don't follow them. In addition they use a different pricing structure if you are a new customer to the carrier or a upgrading customer

RubyRubix wrote:

You might want to read Amazon;s fine print, they have additional requirements and fines if you don't follow them. In addition they use a different pricing structure if you are a new customer to the carrier or a upgrading customer

4 of 4 (555 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments