Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?

Contributor

Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?

I am eligible for a full upgrade of my phone and want to go from one smartphone to another (Samsung Captivate to Nokia Lumnia 920). I want to keep my services exactly the same: 200 Message Plan for $5 and 200mb Data for $15. I had been warned when I log into my account that if I make any changes to my Data plan that it will be lost forever, and was not happy but willing to accept paying an extra $5 per month for the 300mb plan. But when I tried do the actual upgrade I was only given the option for the Unlimited Messaging at $20 per month. If I have to do that, then I am looking at paying $20 per month more (an additional $5 for the 300mb Data plus $15 for the Unlimited Messaging) for my phone services. Can these 2 plans really not be grandfathered in? It seems that the old Unlimited Messaging plan can be grandfathered in, so why not these? I tried placing my order on Amazon (which is preferred since they charge less for the phone) and on AT&T and neither will allow me to keep those plans. It seems crazy, since I can get a T-Mobile plan that is all unlimited (yes, I know after 500mb it slows down, but that's plenty for me) and it's $30 less than AT&T even without the extra $20 I would be paying after the upgrade. I want to keep AT&T, I like the coverage, but for $50 less per month I will probably give T-Mobile a try.
Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?

As far as I know upgrading at a corporate store should let you keep those.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Re: Can I grandfather in my 200 Message texting and 200MB Data plans on an upgrade?

I would not mind upgrading at an AT&T store, but I was really hoping to do it through Amazon since their prices on phones are so much better.  Is there any way to do that?  If I go ahead with the upgrade, would I be able to call AT&T to get my plans back, or will they be gone for good?

Thanks for the quick answer!

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Expert

RubyRubix wrote:

I would not mind upgrading at an AT&T store, but I was really hoping to do it through Amazon since their prices on phones are so much better.  Is there any way to do that?  If I go ahead with the upgrade, would I be able to call AT&T to get my plans back, or will they be gone for good?

Thanks for the quick answer!

You might want to read Amazon;s fine print, they have additional requirements and fines if you don't follow them. In addition they use a different pricing structure if you are a new customer to the carrier or a upgrading customer

Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support