Calls drop after 40 seconds

Teacher

Calls drop after 40 seconds

Hawaiian Telcom just "upgraded" my Pace 3081 RG with a Pace 5168NV RG and now I can't keep a call going on the microcell, AT&T sent me a new microcell, thinking the problem was the microcell.

The problem is any call, in or out bound, at about 40 seconds, the 3g light turns off, and the call fails. My iPhone 5 shows a call failed message, and the 3g light starts flashing and will be solid after about 1 minute.

From the Trouble shooting guide, I have set the MTU to 1492.

5 days of calls to AT&T microcell support have been uselss, they have no idea what needs to be changed on the RG.  They say to call Hawaiian Telcom, and Hawaiian Telcom says to call AT&T.

My internet is 23/5.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 47
ACE - Professor

Re: Calls drop after 40 seconds

Good luck and post back with progess.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 47
ACE - Master

kiko69 wrote:

Some small updates.

Pace did not send anyone to Hawaii :-(

Hawaiian Telcom swapped out the 5168 for a 3801 and of course it works.

They asked if I would keep the 5168 as they would like to use me a a test person for the new firmware that Pace delivers.  And they just updated the provisioning to 2SD/4Hd Wan but still 2SD/2HD Ingress, but that only works with the 5168 here.

Update today, Hawaiian Telcom is now looking to drop the Pace 5168 and move to yet a newer version. They did not give me the model number, but supposedly the new Pace works with the 3G Microcell and has the NTP bug fixed.  HT is trying to obtain a unit for me to test with.  Lets see how long that takes.

Excellent. I'm not surprised that Pace didn't send someone out and left it up to HT to figure out. I'm curious, do you know how far you are from the VRAD becuase the 2Wire 3801 is supposed to be the RG of choice for distances between 1900' and 3000'? This is info that was included in the recently updated Guide.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 47
Teacher

Fiber to ONT, ethernet from ONT to RG, building was setup for 1G symetric.

Message 33 of 47
ACE - Master

ONT, isn't that Verizon's version of a VRAD?

Message 34 of 47
ACE - Master

Nevermind. I got my answer on what the ONT is and how it works.

Message 35 of 47
Teacher

I found out that Pace has provided Hawaiian Telcom a new version of firmware  that fixes both the NTP exploit and the call drops.  

But Hawaiian Telcom wants to extensivly test it before even rolling it out to me, much less the rest of the customers.

OT: HawaiianTelcom just announced that next month they will offer 500MB/50MB internet.  

Not that you an really get off the rock that fast. It seems we are very much limited to the fiber capacity currently in place, I've not heard of any new fiber to anywhere being installed much less planned.

Message 36 of 47
ACE - Master

Thanks for the update. Keep us in the loop as things progress for you.

Message 37 of 47
Teacher

Today I was told by Hawaian Telcom, that Pace has decided the 3G Microcell is an UNSUPPORTED device. 

I  find that odd, since they have given HT a new version of firmware for the RG, but HT is unwilling to divulge the contents of the release notes.

HT also said they are continuing to test this new firmware, and it may take at least another 2 weeks of testing before they would release it.

OT: HT 500MB internet $349.00 per month.  No thanks.

Message 38 of 47
ACE - Master

If I remember correctly, you have Mediaroom, correct? That's bascially the same model type as AT&T U-verse, but not AT&T U-verse. The particular model of Pace modem you have is probably configured for HT's network and that's why Pace is telling HT that the MicorCell is an unsupported device. AT&T uses Pace modems for some of their U-verse installs and they work just fine. There are actually quite a few players providing Mediaroom based service over telephone lines in the U.S., but nobody uses the U-verse brand but AT&T. Sounds like there is very little that AT&T can do at this point in time because HT is calling the shots on how AT&T VoIP (MicroCell) accesses their network. Sorry.Smiley Sad

My guess is that the firmware upgrade was for network security reasons in which case HT is not about to divulge what it is.

Message 39 of 47
Teacher

Yes, HT is Mediaroom version 2.0, a very old version, they are going to be pushing out an update later this month.

I just got a call from the Supervisor of the support group.  HT will be having their weekly call with Pace tomorrow, and they are going to push the issue, since the last version of the firmware they got breaks more than it fixes, and they have over 100 users with non-functional Microcell's.   For a small ISP, that's a lot of broken users.

With all the highrise condo's we have, microcells seem to be very popular. Even on the 21's floor I'm looking down on the closest "tower", and with all the new construction, it's going to get worse, not better.

Anyway, the supervisor said that as soon as they "bless" the new firmware, I'll be the first customer they will push it to, but he said not to expect it until the end of March. 

Message 40 of 47
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Ok. Keeping fingers crossed. Post back when you can.

Message 41 of 47
Teacher

Today, Hawaiian Telcom updated my RG with the lastest firmware from Pace, 10.1.3.499442-ht,  but the Microcell is still dropping calls.  

They have offered to give me one of the older units, but they are really close to updating our provisioning to 4HD ingress (recording) and that will "Require the 5168 or newer RG". 

Hopefully they will have an update after their next weekly conference call wtih Pace.

I've asked for the release notes for the firmware, and Hawaiian Telcom is trying to get permission to release it.

Message 42 of 47
ACE - Master

I was thinking about you the other day. Thanks for the update. I don't feel very hopeful abou this because I'm not sure if the new version of the Pace RG is going to work with the MicroCell. It's not the same model that AT&T uses for U-verse so the firmware is slightly different. Still keeping my fingers crossed.

Message 43 of 47
Teacher

Hawaiian Telcom had my attempt using my Apple Airport Extreme, in DMZ+ mode on the RG.

Well, the 3G Microcell, worked, execpt every time I made any updates to the Airport Extreme, the 3G light on the Microcell, would start blinking green, and would not go solid until the Microcell was restarted.  Not too bad, as there really shouldn't be many updates. to the Airport Extreme.

I also verifyed that the IPTV service was still working.

Last night we turned on the TV to watch, and the DVR & set top box, showed "All HD services in use" or "Televsion Service Lost Call 643-***", and all recordings from the afternoon, were empty,

Called Hawaian Telcom, got the run around with first tier, who all he could do was scedule an site visit, for Friday.

A few minutes later I got a call from the 3rd tier support guy I've been working on the 3G Microcell problem with.

He said "i was afraid this might happen. lets undo the changes and see if the brings back IPTV service".  a few mintes of updates, reboot the RG/DVR/set top box and airport extreme, Bingo IPTV back working , but 3g Microcell, drops calls almost instantly now.

Hawaiian Telcom is going to bring out a Pace 3801, on Friday Morning, they really don't think Pace is going to fix the problem.

Also all first tier support people at Hawaiian Telcom are now saying the 3G Microcell is an unsppported device.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 44 of 47
ACE - Master

If HT telecom says that the MicroCell is an unsupported device that's about all you can do then. AT&T can't force ISPs to make their networks compatible with the MicroCell. My gut feeling is that their modems are configured in such a way that interferes with the way that the MicroCell needs to connect to AT&T. It's probably some some of  "security" setting or network configuration that HT/Pace needs to have. Sorry.

Message 45 of 47
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support