Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 20, 2014
10:38:21 PM
View profile
Calls drop after 40 seconds

Hawaiian Telcom just "upgraded" my Pace 3081 RG with a Pace 5168NV RG and now I can't keep a call going on the microcell, AT&T sent me a new microcell, thinking the problem was the microcell.

The problem is any call, in or out bound, at about 40 seconds, the 3g light turns off, and the call fails. My iPhone 5 shows a call failed message, and the 3g light starts flashing and will be solid after about 1 minute.

From the Trouble shooting guide, I have set the MTU to 1492.

5 days of calls to AT&T microcell support have been uselss, they have no idea what needs to be changed on the RG.  They say to call Hawaiian Telcom, and Hawaiian Telcom says to call AT&T.

My internet is 23/5.

Any ideas?

Hawaiian Telcom just "upgraded" my Pace 3081 RG with a Pace 5168NV RG and now I can't keep a call going on the microcell, AT&T sent me a new microcell, thinking the problem was the microcell.

The problem is any call, in or out bound, at about 40 seconds, the 3g light turns off, and the call fails. My iPhone 5 shows a call failed message, and the 3g light starts flashing and will be solid after about 1 minute.

From the Trouble shooting guide, I have set the MTU to 1492.

5 days of calls to AT&T microcell support have been uselss, they have no idea what needs to be changed on the RG.  They say to call Hawaiian Telcom, and Hawaiian Telcom says to call AT&T.

My internet is 23/5.

Any ideas?

Calls drop after 40 seconds

46 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(46)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 8:07:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There have been quite a few reported issues with the Pace "modems". What seems to work best for the VDSL2 customers are the Motorola NVG589's. The probable issue with the Pace modems is either DNS issues or maginal connections for customers who are on a long line. VDSL is less tolerant of line faults like bridge taps and AM interference. The line needs to be installed correctly and cleanly. However, if you had a working connection before with the old Pace then it's more than likely the new Pace. Why did they upgrade you? I'd ask for one of the Motorola modem that works with your type of VDLS line. Has Hawaiian Telecom done anything to their service (like close a port for example)?

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

There have been quite a few reported issues with the Pace "modems". What seems to work best for the VDSL2 customers are the Motorola NVG589's. The probable issue with the Pace modems is either DNS issues or maginal connections for customers who are on a long line. VDSL is less tolerant of line faults like bridge taps and AM interference. The line needs to be installed correctly and cleanly. However, if you had a working connection before with the old Pace then it's more than likely the new Pace. Why did they upgrade you? I'd ask for one of the Motorola modem that works with your type of VDLS line. Has Hawaiian Telecom done anything to their service (like close a port for example)?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Calls drop after 40 seconds

2 of 47 (2,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 9:44:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry, I shoul have said that this is a fibre connection, ONT -> RG -> Cisco settop boxes, the voice is pulled oftf the Alacatel ONT.  GPON connection, not DSL.

Sorry, I shoul have said that this is a fibre connection, ONT -> RG -> Cisco settop boxes, the voice is pulled oftf the Alacatel ONT.  GPON connection, not DSL.

3 of 47 (2,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 9:44:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Avedis53 on Jan 21, 2014 at 9:45:59 AM

Was deferring to you when you posted Otto.  Deleted my comments.

Was deferring to you when you posted Otto.  Deleted my comments.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 47 (2,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 9:55:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Avedis 53 - I hope your comments were kind cause I didn't see them Smiley Wink

To the OP - why were you upgraded to a newer modem and did they do anything to your connection other than give you a new modem? If  your MicroCell worked before but stopped after the upgrade it sounds suspiciously like something was done to your connection in which case Hawaiin Telecom will have to look into it.

Avedis 53 - I hope your comments were kind cause I didn't see them Smiley Wink

To the OP - why were you upgraded to a newer modem and did they do anything to your connection other than give you a new modem? If  your MicroCell worked before but stopped after the upgrade it sounds suspiciously like something was done to your connection in which case Hawaiin Telecom will have to look into it.

5 of 47 (2,549 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 10:00:03 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hawaiaiian Telcom is trying to chase down an issue with Compression Artifacts, and they are trying to replace all the CPE, saying it's not a headend issue, which it is.

Hawaiaiian Telcom is trying to chase down an issue with Compression Artifacts, and they are trying to replace all the CPE, saying it's not a headend issue, which it is.

6 of 47 (2,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 10:05:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I was wondering if this problem was similiar to the Pace 5031 issue that some people resolved by going to the Pace 3801 or the Motorola NVG510.

DSL is too confusing anyway.  Give me cable internet any day!

I was wondering if this problem was similiar to the Pace 5031 issue that some people resolved by going to the Pace 3801 or the Motorola NVG510.

DSL is too confusing anyway.  Give me cable internet any day!

7 of 47 (2,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 10:09:16 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hawaiian Telcom is trying to get rid of the 3801 RG, and ove to the 5618RG's.

I just got of the HT tech suppport line, they don't even know what a microcell is. I had to explain it to them..

Hawaiian Telcom is trying to get rid of the 3801 RG, and ove to the 5618RG's.

I just got of the HT tech suppport line, they don't even know what a microcell is. I had to explain it to them..

8 of 47 (2,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 10:26:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Most ISP's don't know what a MicroCell is and don't care if it's not one of their products/services so you won't get any help from them, even if it's their problem. VoIP has some basic requirments by the ISP to work well and clean lines (no latency, jittering,compression issues, etc) are paramount. AT&T just requires that certain ports remain open to access their servers for verification and service, along with a solid GPS signal.

Most ISP's don't know what a MicroCell is and don't care if it's not one of their products/services so you won't get any help from them, even if it's their problem. VoIP has some basic requirments by the ISP to work well and clean lines (no latency, jittering,compression issues, etc) are paramount. AT&T just requires that certain ports remain open to access their servers for verification and service, along with a solid GPS signal.

9 of 47 (2,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2014 10:29:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That doesn't bode well for you.....

Does HT understand which ports must be open in order for the Mcell to operate?

That doesn't bode well for you.....

Does HT understand which ports must be open in order for the Mcell to operate?

10 of 47 (2,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 7:56:11 PM
(0)
Teacher

My last call to AT&T, and ended up with a CSR who asked for Hawaiian Telcom's support phone number, and did a three way call with HT, who said they are not blocking any ports, but will NOT change the MTU to 1492, in their lab it's caused issues with the IPTV streams (per HT support supervisor). 

I've already added firewall rules to route the ports to the microcell.

HT uses Media Room 2.1 for their IPTV solution and they really don't know what they are doing.

The 3801 that I had, they did change the MTU to 1492.

Hawaiian Telcom has cases open with Pace and Cisco. 

I also found out there are other HT IPTV users with Microcells that are having the same issue.

Due to the highrise building I'm in, I had to add an external GPS antenna to keep GPS lock, the glass has a metal finish that stops lots of RF.

My last call to AT&T, and ended up with a CSR who asked for Hawaiian Telcom's support phone number, and did a three way call with HT, who said they are not blocking any ports, but will NOT change the MTU to 1492, in their lab it's caused issues with the IPTV streams (per HT support supervisor). 

I've already added firewall rules to route the ports to the microcell.

HT uses Media Room 2.1 for their IPTV solution and they really don't know what they are doing.

The 3801 that I had, they did change the MTU to 1492.

Hawaiian Telcom has cases open with Pace and Cisco. 

I also found out there are other HT IPTV users with Microcells that are having the same issue.

Due to the highrise building I'm in, I had to add an external GPS antenna to keep GPS lock, the glass has a metal finish that stops lots of RF.

11 of 47 (2,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 8:08:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's really unfortunate that HT is so inflexible. Just out of curiousity, does HT offer some sort of VoIP service?

That's really unfortunate that HT is so inflexible. Just out of curiousity, does HT offer some sort of VoIP service?

12 of 47 (2,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2014 9:56:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

HT does offfer a hosted business VoIP service. 

The HT residentail Voice / TV / Internet bundle is VoIP, but they don't really say it is. They use the "Phone" port on the ONT, not the one on the RG.

HT does offfer a hosted business VoIP service. 

The HT residentail Voice / TV / Internet bundle is VoIP, but they don't really say it is. They use the "Phone" port on the ONT, not the one on the RG.

13 of 47 (2,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:00:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I hate to sound conspiratorial but it's almost as if with the new upgrades to their system, they don't want to carry any VoIP traffic from another provider. I'm sure their VoIP service would work just fine. I forget, but have you detailed your issues and what you've done, and sent that to CustomerCare (link in my sig)?

I hate to sound conspiratorial but it's almost as if with the new upgrades to their system, they don't want to carry any VoIP traffic from another provider. I'm sure their VoIP service would work just fine. I forget, but have you detailed your issues and what you've done, and sent that to CustomerCare (link in my sig)?

14 of 47 (2,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:23:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Avedis53 on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:25:33 AM

Otto, do you think that the MTU setting is the problem here? 

If HT won't allow an MTU setting of 1492, perhaps the OP can find out what MTU setting HT is using.  If their MTU setting is smaller than 1492, could be that their switches are blocking the larger packets (called jabbering) until they conform.  Going past my understanding now....is 1492 required for Mcell operation or just recommended?

Perhaps the new RG doesn't support disabling fragmented packets.  Seems unlikely but might account for the calls dropping.

Otto, do you think that the MTU setting is the problem here? 

If HT won't allow an MTU setting of 1492, perhaps the OP can find out what MTU setting HT is using.  If their MTU setting is smaller than 1492, could be that their switches are blocking the larger packets (called jabbering) until they conform.  Going past my understanding now....is 1492 required for Mcell operation or just recommended?

Perhaps the new RG doesn't support disabling fragmented packets.  Seems unlikely but might account for the calls dropping.

[ Edited ]
15 of 47 (2,451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:38:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

To be honest, I never bothered with MTU settings so I don't actually know what mine is set at. It just always worked. Isn't 1492 a default for routers? Maybe that's why mine always worked. Yeah, I'd have the OP look into the other required settings. We sometimes concentrate on the ports and forget about IPSec Pass-through, MTU, and Block Fragmented Packets.

To be honest, I never bothered with MTU settings so I don't actually know what mine is set at. It just always worked. Isn't 1492 a default for routers? Maybe that's why mine always worked. Yeah, I'd have the OP look into the other required settings. We sometimes concentrate on the ports and forget about IPSec Pass-through, MTU, and Block Fragmented Packets.

16 of 47 (2,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:47:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

The default MTU for HT is 1500, on the 5168, I can't find any place to configure either the IPSec Pass-Through or Block Fragmented Packets.

Last night, HT had me make a call over the Microcell whiile they did a packet capture, call failed like normal.   The CSR did tell me they have a ticket open with AT&T.

The default MTU for HT is 1500, on the 5168, I can't find any place to configure either the IPSec Pass-Through or Block Fragmented Packets.

Last night, HT had me make a call over the Microcell whiile they did a packet capture, call failed like normal.   The CSR did tell me they have a ticket open with AT&T.

17 of 47 (2,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:51:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well that's something. At least they're trying. So basically, your MicroCel was fine until HT upgraded their network and gave you a different modem, right? MTU/packets/IPSec are all important so maybe with their new modems/upgrades they just need to tweak their end a bit. Hopefully AT&T can help/advise them with that.

Well that's something. At least they're trying. So basically, your MicroCel was fine until HT upgraded their network and gave you a different modem, right? MTU/packets/IPSec are all important so maybe with their new modems/upgrades they just need to tweak their end a bit. Hopefully AT&T can help/advise them with that.

18 of 47 (2,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 10:55:50 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

A MTU of 1492 is the standard setting for Ethernet with LLC (Logical Link Control), SNAP (Subnet Access Protocol) and PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet).  In other words, a very common maximum packet size setting.  So, 1492 bytes is the maximum packet size that can be sent without fragmentation. 

If the ISP is using a MTU setting that is smaller than that (and they could) and the Mcell network needs a MTU of 1492 (which I don't know is a fact) and fragmented packets are being created as a result, then they could be blocked by the gateway if blocking fragmented packets is enabled.

A MTU of 1492 is the standard setting for Ethernet with LLC (Logical Link Control), SNAP (Subnet Access Protocol) and PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet).  In other words, a very common maximum packet size setting.  So, 1492 bytes is the maximum packet size that can be sent without fragmentation. 

If the ISP is using a MTU setting that is smaller than that (and they could) and the Mcell network needs a MTU of 1492 (which I don't know is a fact) and fragmented packets are being created as a result, then they could be blocked by the gateway if blocking fragmented packets is enabled.

19 of 47 (2,439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2014 11:00:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If HT is using a MTU of 1500 then I'm out of ideas except fragmented packets.  I hope the OP can continue to get cooperation between HT and AT&T to solve the problem. 

If HT is using a MTU of 1500 then I'm out of ideas except fragmented packets.  I hope the OP can continue to get cooperation between HT and AT&T to solve the problem. 

20 of 47 (2,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 12:45:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

I got a call from AT&T yesterday, the person was calling to see if the problem was resolved.

It seems a bit odd that, from what the AT&T person told me, they really don't have any way to find out what happens when the Microcell disconnects, or any other issue.  Their tools just don't have any info.

Hawaiian Telcom has told me that Pace is working on the issue.   HT did a packet trace on their end while I tried a call through the Microcell.  It took a little of 2 minutes to fail, but it did.

The 2nd tier CSR at HT want to help, he want's to get a Microcell for home, but now is holdng off until this is resolved.

There is a cool tool, pathtrace, for Linux.  It traces path to destination discovering MTU along the path.

It seems that no mater what IP or domain name, the PMTU is always 1500.

I got a call from AT&T yesterday, the person was calling to see if the problem was resolved.

It seems a bit odd that, from what the AT&T person told me, they really don't have any way to find out what happens when the Microcell disconnects, or any other issue.  Their tools just don't have any info.

Hawaiian Telcom has told me that Pace is working on the issue.   HT did a packet trace on their end while I tried a call through the Microcell.  It took a little of 2 minutes to fail, but it did.

The 2nd tier CSR at HT want to help, he want's to get a Microcell for home, but now is holdng off until this is resolved.

There is a cool tool, pathtrace, for Linux.  It traces path to destination discovering MTU along the path.

It seems that no mater what IP or domain name, the PMTU is always 1500.

21 of 47 (2,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 12:47:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

This morning, I called Hawaiian Telcom for any update, and was told Pace is sending a technical representative to Honolulu to work on the issue.   It seems that there are lots of microcells on Hawaiian Telcom's network that have all stoppped working.

Pace firmware on the 5168 is 10.1.2.494555-ht, currently.

This morning, I called Hawaiian Telcom for any update, and was told Pace is sending a technical representative to Honolulu to work on the issue.   It seems that there are lots of microcells on Hawaiian Telcom's network that have all stoppped working.

Pace firmware on the 5168 is 10.1.2.494555-ht, currently.

22 of 47 (2,359 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 2:26:10 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for reporting back. It might be as simple as an MTU issue and the inability of the Pace modems to be adjusted down to 1492. I'll pass this along to the Admins and see if they can followup as well.

Thanks for reporting back. It might be as simple as an MTU issue and the inability of the Pace modems to be adjusted down to 1492. I'll pass this along to the Admins and see if they can followup as well.

23 of 47 (2,351 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 3:09:30 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Kiko69,

One of our Managers will be reaching out to you within 48 hours at the email address listed in your profile here on the forums. If there is a better way for us to get in touch with you, please reply via private message with your contact information.

Thanks,

Tom R

AT&T Social Media Manager

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi Kiko69,

One of our Managers will be reaching out to you within 48 hours at the email address listed in your profile here on the forums. If there is a better way for us to get in touch with you, please reply via private message with your contact information.

Thanks,

Tom R

AT&T Social Media Manager

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

24 of 47 (2,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2014 3:11:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Tom.

Thanks Tom.

25 of 47 (2,344 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 12:50:44 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ok, so, Hawaiian Telcom has verified that this is a Pace 5168NV firmware issue. 

There is also an NTP exploit in the firmware, and Hawaiian Telcom is blocking all NTP servers execpt the ones that the Microcell is attempting to reach. 

Thanks to wireshark and a network tap, I was able to find out what the NTP servers IP's were. 

The Microcell was reporting "The registered address does not match the actual device location." FTC231 or 233, but it was really the NTP servers could not be reached. 

As soon as Hawaiian Telcom opened the 4 Ip's (12.230.209.133, 12.230.208.133, 12.230.208.48 and 12.230.209.5), the Microcell "actviated".   AT&T had removed and attepted to re-active several times until I found the NTP issue.

DMZ Plus mode does not even work, that's how broken the current firmware is.

Pace is currently working on a new firmware version and I should hear back soon that they want to push it to my RG.

Ok, so, Hawaiian Telcom has verified that this is a Pace 5168NV firmware issue. 

There is also an NTP exploit in the firmware, and Hawaiian Telcom is blocking all NTP servers execpt the ones that the Microcell is attempting to reach. 

Thanks to wireshark and a network tap, I was able to find out what the NTP servers IP's were. 

The Microcell was reporting "The registered address does not match the actual device location." FTC231 or 233, but it was really the NTP servers could not be reached. 

As soon as Hawaiian Telcom opened the 4 Ip's (12.230.209.133, 12.230.208.133, 12.230.208.48 and 12.230.209.5), the Microcell "actviated".   AT&T had removed and attepted to re-active several times until I found the NTP issue.

DMZ Plus mode does not even work, that's how broken the current firmware is.

Pace is currently working on a new firmware version and I should hear back soon that they want to push it to my RG.

26 of 47 (2,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 12:58:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the update. Firmware issues have been an ongoing issue with some of the Pace modems so I'm glad that they are taking an active role in resolving your issue.

Thanks for the update. Firmware issues have been an ongoing issue with some of the Pace modems so I'm glad that they are taking an active role in resolving your issue.

27 of 47 (2,206 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 4:04:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Avedis53 on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:35:04 AM

I'd take an active role also if I were a Pace tech and had to go to Hawaii to resolve a problem!

I'd take an active role also if I were a Pace tech and had to go to Hawaii to resolve a problem!

[ Edited ]
28 of 47 (2,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 4:51:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Fer sure dewd!

Fer sure dewd!

29 of 47 (2,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2014 12:01:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

Some small updates.

Pace did not send anyone to Hawaii :-(

Hawaiian Telcom swapped out the 5168 for a 3801 and of course it works.

They asked if I would keep the 5168 as they would like to use me a a test person for the new firmware that Pace delivers.  And they just updated the provisioning to 2SD/4Hd Wan but still 2SD/2HD Ingress, but that only works with the 5168 here.

Update today, Hawaiian Telcom is now looking to drop the Pace 5168 and move to yet a newer version. They did not give me the model number, but supposedly the new Pace works with the 3G Microcell and has the NTP bug fixed.  HT is trying to obtain a unit for me to test with.  Lets see how long that takes.

Some small updates.

Pace did not send anyone to Hawaii :-(

Hawaiian Telcom swapped out the 5168 for a 3801 and of course it works.

They asked if I would keep the 5168 as they would like to use me a a test person for the new firmware that Pace delivers.  And they just updated the provisioning to 2SD/4Hd Wan but still 2SD/2HD Ingress, but that only works with the 5168 here.

Update today, Hawaiian Telcom is now looking to drop the Pace 5168 and move to yet a newer version. They did not give me the model number, but supposedly the new Pace works with the 3G Microcell and has the NTP bug fixed.  HT is trying to obtain a unit for me to test with.  Lets see how long that takes.

30 of 47 (2,064 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments