Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 28, 2013
1:01:32 PM
View profile
Caller ID from and to United Kingdom Questions

Hello Everyone!

I have a question about the transmission of Caller ID information from the US to the UK, and vice versa.
My daughter is staying with an Aunt for a few months before she starts college in the Spring here. My sister lives in London, and the telephone number is a little like +44 20 XXXX XXXX, where +44 is the country code and 22 is the area code.

When my daughter calls us from my sister's landline, our mobiles display "+44 20 XXXX XXXX" but here's the interesting part...

When we call from my wive's mobile, their Caller ID displays, "DELGATTO,MELISS - +1-936-xxx-xxxx" (her name is Melissa) with the telephone number, but strangely enough, when I call from my mobile the Caller ID displays, "UNKNOWN - 0101".

Anyone know possibly what is going on here? It's no big deal, but we are just very curious. Smiley Happy

In case our telephone numbers might have something to do with it, they are both 936 and the suffixes are the same. Our last four digits are two digits different.

Hello Everyone!

I have a question about the transmission of Caller ID information from the US to the UK, and vice versa.
My daughter is staying with an Aunt for a few months before she starts college in the Spring here. My sister lives in London, and the telephone number is a little like +44 20 XXXX XXXX, where +44 is the country code and 22 is the area code.

When my daughter calls us from my sister's landline, our mobiles display "+44 20 XXXX XXXX" but here's the interesting part...

When we call from my wive's mobile, their Caller ID displays, "DELGATTO,MELISS - +1-936-xxx-xxxx" (her name is Melissa) with the telephone number, but strangely enough, when I call from my mobile the Caller ID displays, "UNKNOWN - 0101".

Anyone know possibly what is going on here? It's no big deal, but we are just very curious. Smiley Happy

In case our telephone numbers might have something to do with it, they are both 936 and the suffixes are the same. Our last four digits are two digits different.

Caller ID from and to United Kingdom Questions

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2013 7:33:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

International caller ID is a bit of a mistery. I've never seen the name part come across correctly on an international call… any chance your wive's number has been programmed and stored in whatever phone you're calling? Also, when you and your wife call US numbers, do your caller IDs come across in the same format? (Name & number). Finally, not that it should make any difference, but just in case — are you both dialing the same way? (You can call an international number using either +44 or 01144 format).

International caller ID is a bit of a mistery. I've never seen the name part come across correctly on an international call… any chance your wive's number has been programmed and stored in whatever phone you're calling? Also, when you and your wife call US numbers, do your caller IDs come across in the same format? (Name & number). Finally, not that it should make any difference, but just in case — are you both dialing the same way? (You can call an international number using either +44 or 01144 format).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Caller ID from and to United Kingdom Questions

2 of 4 (412 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 30, 2013 9:33:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

My daugther told me the operator is BT, and that she checked but the handsets they use are these BT branded, out-dated sets that only display a name, number, dial, and answer/hangup. So, I'm going to assume it wasn't saved.

Yes, when we both call out, same name/number caller ID format.

We've both called with the 011 exit code, and with just +44, and it all says the same thing.

My daugther is amazed at our different everything is there, espically their double ringback tone. Smiley Very Happy

My daugther told me the operator is BT, and that she checked but the handsets they use are these BT branded, out-dated sets that only display a name, number, dial, and answer/hangup. So, I'm going to assume it wasn't saved.

Yes, when we both call out, same name/number caller ID format.

We've both called with the 011 exit code, and with just +44, and it all says the same thing.

My daugther is amazed at our different everything is there, espically their double ringback tone. Smiley Very Happy

3 of 4 (372 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2013 2:59:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Well, as I said, a bit of a mystery Smiley Happy Sorry, I've no idea what might be causing this Smiley Sad My biggest hope was for a stored number on the handset.

Well, as I said, a bit of a mystery Smiley Happy Sorry, I've no idea what might be causing this Smiley Sad My biggest hope was for a stored number on the handset.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 4 (352 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments