Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 19, 2014
3:31:03 PM
Call drop in Silver Spring

I recently switched my mobile number from T-mobile to AT&T network. Ever since, I have been facing call drops in my apartment. The signal strength on my phone appears to be maximum, but when I try to make a call, most of the times either the call fails or if it does connect, I only hear broken voice on the other side with eventual call drop. And I have had complaints from friends that they are unable to reach me on my mobile when I am in my apartment.

I face this issue only in my apartment, which is by the way on a 3rd floor. When I am anywhere else outside my apartment complex, I have good coverage, i.e., I am able to make and receive calls.

Some details about my phone: HTC Desire - Android 2.2.

I have tried to troubleshooting the problem myslef, but there are no steps to troubleshoot for my phone model.

I have checked the coverage map on your site, it shoes a "good" coverage for my apartment.

I tried to download your mark the spot app, but it is unavailable for the Android version I am running.

I recently switched my mobile number from T-mobile to AT&T network. Ever since, I have been facing call drops in my apartment. The signal strength on my phone appears to be maximum, but when I try to make a call, most of the times either the call fails or if it does connect, I only hear broken voice on the other side with eventual call drop. And I have had complaints from friends that they are unable to reach me on my mobile when I am in my apartment.

I face this issue only in my apartment, which is by the way on a 3rd floor. When I am anywhere else outside my apartment complex, I have good coverage, i.e., I am able to make and receive calls.

Some details about my phone: HTC Desire - Android 2.2.

I have tried to troubleshooting the problem myslef, but there are no steps to troubleshoot for my phone model.

I have checked the coverage map on your site, it shoes a "good" coverage for my apartment.

I tried to download your mark the spot app, but it is unavailable for the Android version I am running.

Call drop in Silver Spring

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 20, 2014 8:10:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Another interesting thing, I am able to send and recieve SMS while in apartment, and also connect to data service. The only problem is with making phone calls.

Another interesting thing, I am able to send and recieve SMS while in apartment, and also connect to data service. The only problem is with making phone calls.

Re: Call drop in Silver Spring

2 of 7 (431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 7:49:24 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello @abhijith 

I suspect it has something to do with GSM frequencies and the a non-AT&T branded phone, it's hard to tell for sure though. For example, GSM 850 is the best frequency for in doors coverage, it's possible that the phone is not compatible with AT&T's GSM 850 frequency or it has something with phone's settings, unfortunately it's hard to get official support for a device that was originally designed for another carrier. But just in case it's not the issue, I recommend first trying a new SIM card. Do you know anyone with AT&T cell phone that can test their reception at your apartment? That will help you figure out if the issue is with your phone or not.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello @abhijith 

I suspect it has something to do with GSM frequencies and the a non-AT&T branded phone, it's hard to tell for sure though. For example, GSM 850 is the best frequency for in doors coverage, it's possible that the phone is not compatible with AT&T's GSM 850 frequency or it has something with phone's settings, unfortunately it's hard to get official support for a device that was originally designed for another carrier. But just in case it's not the issue, I recommend first trying a new SIM card. Do you know anyone with AT&T cell phone that can test their reception at your apartment? That will help you figure out if the issue is with your phone or not.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (406 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 8:11:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks Dmitriy.

I have contacted AT&T support 3 times until now, and your response by far seems to be most logical.

Anyways, my phone is a HTC Desire A8181, and it does support GSM 850 frequency.

Link to my phone specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire-3077.php

I will check the 2 options you have suggested,

1. Get a new SIM

2. Get a friend with AT&T in my apartment to check network

Thanks,

Abhijith

Thanks Dmitriy.

I have contacted AT&T support 3 times until now, and your response by far seems to be most logical.

Anyways, my phone is a HTC Desire A8181, and it does support GSM 850 frequency.

Link to my phone specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire-3077.php

I will check the 2 options you have suggested,

1. Get a new SIM

2. Get a friend with AT&T in my apartment to check network

Thanks,

Abhijith

4 of 7 (402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 9:42:07 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Let us know what happens and if you need more help, we'll do everything we can to find a fix for you.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Let us know what happens and if you need more help, we'll do everything we can to find a fix for you.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 7 (396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2014 9:43:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, wil do.

Thanks, wil do.

6 of 7 (393 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 4:23:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

Update on the probelm. Turns out my phone is incompattible with ATT, so I had to change my phone. I have good reception in my apartment now.

Thanks,

Abhijith

Update on the probelm. Turns out my phone is incompattible with ATT, so I had to change my phone. I have good reception in my apartment now.

Thanks,

Abhijith

7 of 7 (343 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments