Buying out your contract, and perks for Armed Forces members?

Highlighted
Contributor

Buying out your contract, and perks for Armed Forces members?

Can you buy out your contract?

I am on the same contract as my in-laws. My husband is coming home, then we are PCSing on active duty military orders. We need cell service and I would like to keep my existing number while adding a line to a new plan for him. How much is it to buy out my line? 

Also, do you have a military discount of any kind?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 3 (608 Views)
Expert

Re: Buying out your contract, and perks for Armed Forces members?

kelliclaywell wrote:

Can you buy out your contract?

I am on the same contract as my in-laws. My husband is coming home, then we are PCSing on active duty military orders. We need cell service and I would like to keep my existing number while adding a line to a new plan for him. How much is it to buy out my line? 

Also, do you have a military discount of any kind?

Thank you!

have your in-laws do a transfer of billing responsibilty to you, this will transfer your number to a new account in your name then you can add another line and make it a family plan. Couple of things

1. all grandfathered features - like unlimited data or limited texting plans will be removed

2. you upgrade date will not change from what it is now

3. if you have little or no credit you maybe required to put down a security deposit that can run upwards of 500.00.

As far as any discounts for the military, have no idea

Message 2 of 3 (560 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Buying out your contract, and perks for Armed Forces members?

You don't have to buy out the line, you can transfer the billing responsibility to you. It retains the current contract so there are no buy outs. Then you can create your own family plan.
AT&T has a discount for government employees.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 3 (559 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.