Helpful Links

Broken phone, switch to Nexus 5

Contributor

Broken phone, switch to Nexus 5

Hi. I dropped and shattered by Note 2 today. I am not eligble for an upgrade until the end of this year. If I wanted to buy and start using a Google Nexus 5, would that require any weird changes to my account? I have the old unlimited data plan that I was grandfathered into. I was able to keep it when I upgraded last year, and I don't want to lose it. 

Also, I have never bought a phone from anywhere except AT&T. Once I bought the phone, would I have to take it in to an AT&T store and have it activated and such? Would that incur further charges? Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 5
ACE - Master

Re: Broken phone, switch to Nexus 5

anndruu12 wrote:

Hi. I dropped and shattered by Note 2 today. I am not eligble for an upgrade until the end of this year. If I wanted to buy and start using a Google Nexus 5, would that require any weird changes to my account? I have the old unlimited data plan that I was grandfathered into. I was able to keep it when I upgraded last year, and I don't want to lose it. 

Also, I have never bought a phone from anywhere except AT&T. Once I bought the phone, would I have to take it in to an AT&T store and have it activated and such? Would that incur further charges? Thanks for the help.

You might need a new SIM card, I don't know if the Note 2 and Nexus 5 both use the same SIM card or not.  If you do need a new one, an AT&T corporate store should provide you one for free.

If your Note 2 didn't support LTE, and your Nexus 5 does, you may need to have AT&T update your account to enable LTE access.  This shouldn't remove your unlimited data, but you would need to clarify with the clerk that part for sure.

If the two devices use the same SIM card, then you could just move the SIM from your old phone to the new one when it arrives, and be up and running.  If you require a new SIM, you may have an "activation fee" of about $18, but I don' tthink you would.  When in doubt, you can visit your local AT&T corporate store and they should be able to help you.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Thanks so much, I believe they both use MicroSIM, so should be ok on that front. My Note 2 is LTE as well, so it looks like it would just be plugging in the sim, and i'd be good to go. 

Message 3 of 5
Highlighted
ACE - Master

anndruu12 wrote:

Thanks so much, I believe they both use MicroSIM, so should be ok on that front. My Note 2 is LTE as well, so it looks like it would just be plugging in the sim, and i'd be good to go. 

With them both being LTE capable Android phones that use the same sized SIM card, you should be just fine to swap SIMs and start using your new phone right away.  If you have any hiccups, you might try calling *611 and let them know you swapped phones but it probably won't be necessary.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
Scholar

The Note II, and the Nexus 5 both take the same SIM card. There wont be an activation fee of $18; but depending on the cooperate store you go to they might charge you $25 for the SIM card( but that's highly unlikely too).

Message 5 of 5
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support