Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forums

Posted Mar 23, 2013
6:53:05 AM
View profile
Bogus data usage warning?

I'm not necessarily having a problem, but I'm slightly confused about something, so I just wanted to see if anyone else is running into this.  Basically, for the last two months, I keep getting e-mails from AT&T warning me that I am nearing my data limit.  You know, like this:

This is a courtesy notice that ******* has used 270 MBs and is nearing the data plan limit. Data usage which exceeds your plan allowance will be billed at $20 per additional 300MB.

Considering how little I use my data (it's turned off 98% of the time), I found this to be a bit shocking the first time until I checked the site and saw that I was perfectly fine.  I figured it was just a fluke, but I kept getting this message.  And now I'm getting it again.  It claims I have used 270 MB, but when I check the myAT&T app and the web site, they both state that I have only used about 34 MB of my data so far (and I only have the one phone on my plan).

So...what's going on?  Does the site see how much data I have remaining and incorrectly think that is how much I have used?  If this is the case, do I have to worry about it incorrectly thinking I have gone over my limit, thus charging me an extra $20?  Furthermore, has this been happening to anyone else?  Any help/insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

I'm not necessarily having a problem, but I'm slightly confused about something, so I just wanted to see if anyone else is running into this.  Basically, for the last two months, I keep getting e-mails from AT&T warning me that I am nearing my data limit.  You know, like this:

This is a courtesy notice that ******* has used 270 MBs and is nearing the data plan limit. Data usage which exceeds your plan allowance will be billed at $20 per additional 300MB.

Considering how little I use my data (it's turned off 98% of the time), I found this to be a bit shocking the first time until I checked the site and saw that I was perfectly fine.  I figured it was just a fluke, but I kept getting this message.  And now I'm getting it again.  It claims I have used 270 MB, but when I check the myAT&T app and the web site, they both state that I have only used about 34 MB of my data so far (and I only have the one phone on my plan).

So...what's going on?  Does the site see how much data I have remaining and incorrectly think that is how much I have used?  If this is the case, do I have to worry about it incorrectly thinking I have gone over my limit, thus charging me an extra $20?  Furthermore, has this been happening to anyone else?  Any help/insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Bogus data usage warning?

20 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 9:03:22 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have actualy gotten the same message at the beginning of this month that said I had used up 90% of my data in the first two days of this month which I found hard to belive since the only time I use my data on my phone is when I am out of town because when Im home it stays connected to my wifi which I checked and it was connected to at the time and I had not actualy used my phone because it was actualy misplaced for a few days and was turned off.  I took it to a AT&T store to see what they found and they did a check and found nothing that would have caused that to happen like a app or something. I mean I have gone on vacation and used my phone the entire time I was gone well over a week at some times and never used that much data as it said much less in just two or three days.

I have actualy gotten the same message at the beginning of this month that said I had used up 90% of my data in the first two days of this month which I found hard to belive since the only time I use my data on my phone is when I am out of town because when Im home it stays connected to my wifi which I checked and it was connected to at the time and I had not actualy used my phone because it was actualy misplaced for a few days and was turned off.  I took it to a AT&T store to see what they found and they did a check and found nothing that would have caused that to happen like a app or something. I mean I have gone on vacation and used my phone the entire time I was gone well over a week at some times and never used that much data as it said much less in just two or three days.

Re: Bogus data usage warning?

2 of 21 (4,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 1:49:46 PM
(0)
Employee

ZombieToast wrote:

Since your usage data on your account shows you've used 34mb, you don't have anything to worry about (i.e. you won't gat charged any overages) but apparently, AT&T's data usage warning system is not working correctly. You might want to look at your last bill to see how much data was used. I'd also report this to CS. 

ZombieToast wrote:

Since your usage data on your account shows you've used 34mb, you don't have anything to worry about (i.e. you won't gat charged any overages) but apparently, AT&T's data usage warning system is not working correctly. You might want to look at your last bill to see how much data was used. I'd also report this to CS. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 21 (3,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2013 6:48:02 PM
(0)
Expert

Truffleshuffle03 wrote:

One thing to remember - data usage reporting is not real time, there are delays in getting it reported - this is documented in the OLAM, if roaming it can be up to 4 weeks of a delay of the data usage being posted

Truffleshuffle03 wrote:

One thing to remember - data usage reporting is not real time, there are delays in getting it reported - this is documented in the OLAM, if roaming it can be up to 4 weeks of a delay of the data usage being posted

4 of 21 (3,956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2013 10:07:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the input, everyone.  Despite only using about 3 MB since my initial post, I got a new e-mail today stating that I have exceeded 300 MB (306 to be exact) and will be charged $20.  But when I view my account on the site, it confirms that I have only used the expected amount of data and there are no additional charges so far.  To be fair, I'm not sure how long it takes for such charges to be added to the statement, but I still think it must be an error.

As suggested, I looked over previous statements to verify that, despite past data limit warnings, I have never used more than ~150 MB in a single month (like I said, it's usually turned off) and I have not incurred any unexpected fees.  Still, I will talk to customer service about this just to be on the safe side.  Thanks again!

Thanks for the input, everyone.  Despite only using about 3 MB since my initial post, I got a new e-mail today stating that I have exceeded 300 MB (306 to be exact) and will be charged $20.  But when I view my account on the site, it confirms that I have only used the expected amount of data and there are no additional charges so far.  To be fair, I'm not sure how long it takes for such charges to be added to the statement, but I still think it must be an error.

As suggested, I looked over previous statements to verify that, despite past data limit warnings, I have never used more than ~150 MB in a single month (like I said, it's usually turned off) and I have not incurred any unexpected fees.  Still, I will talk to customer service about this just to be on the safe side.  Thanks again!

5 of 21 (3,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2013 12:22:53 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Mar 25, 2013 at 12:23:38 AM

ZombieToast wrote:

What you see online is not real time, there is this disclaimer at the bottom of the usage, same with your bill, it may not all be posted when your billing cycle is over with and maybe carried into the next mobth's cycle

ZombieToast wrote:

What you see online is not real time, there is this disclaimer at the bottom of the usage, same with your bill, it may not all be posted when your billing cycle is over with and maybe carried into the next mobth's cycle

[ Edited ]
6 of 21 (3,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 10:43:47 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by jane697 on Mar 27, 2013 at 10:44:46 AM

As others noted, OLAM (and the AT&T iPhone app, for that matter) does not report up-to-date data usage info; as I was told by an AT&T CSR, dialing *data# on your smartphone will give you the most up-to-date data usage figures (within 24 hours) for the line that you're dialing *data# from.

As others noted, OLAM (and the AT&T iPhone app, for that matter) does not report up-to-date data usage info; as I was told by an AT&T CSR, dialing *data# on your smartphone will give you the most up-to-date data usage figures (within 24 hours) for the line that you're dialing *data# from.

[ Edited ]
7 of 21 (3,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 5:10:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

As I mentioned before, my data is almost always turned off; the only time I ever turn it on (aside from certain exceptions) is on the weekend, so the info was just as I expected.  That's why I wasn't really questioning the usage info being displayed on the site.  Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I spoke with someone at AT&T and was assured that the messages were indeed sent in error and I am nowhere near my limit, so that is one less thing to worry about.  Thanks again, everyone.

As I mentioned before, my data is almost always turned off; the only time I ever turn it on (aside from certain exceptions) is on the weekend, so the info was just as I expected.  That's why I wasn't really questioning the usage info being displayed on the site.  Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I spoke with someone at AT&T and was assured that the messages were indeed sent in error and I am nowhere near my limit, so that is one less thing to worry about.  Thanks again, everyone.

8 of 21 (3,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2013 9:40:41 AM
(0)
Teacher

This is very interesting to me...because I am experiencing the opposite problem. I am receiving emails regarding nearing the limit...which correctly state the data usage...while the web site is incorrectly stating the summary data usage (the usage details DO agree with the email sent, the summary does NOT). I have sent numerous emails with documentation to AT&T and also spoke with 4 different customer reps on the phone for a total of 1.5 hours. According to the rep that I finally convinced of an issue (the other 3 kept going on about data usage reporting delay...which is not possible since it is only for my hotspot which hasn't left my house in at least 2 months), this is a known issue and their IT department is working on a resolution. According to the rep, it is a web site issue...but now I'm not so sure. This discrepancy caused me to exceed my data usage for March...and I didn't even know I had exceeded the usage until I received my bill! I had received warning emails of 65% and 90% usage in March, but never received an email that I had exceeded the data limit and according to the data summary on the web site, I had not exceeded the data limit either. Something is definitely amiss in AT&T's systems, but the issue described in this thread is another twist.

This is very interesting to me...because I am experiencing the opposite problem. I am receiving emails regarding nearing the limit...which correctly state the data usage...while the web site is incorrectly stating the summary data usage (the usage details DO agree with the email sent, the summary does NOT). I have sent numerous emails with documentation to AT&T and also spoke with 4 different customer reps on the phone for a total of 1.5 hours. According to the rep that I finally convinced of an issue (the other 3 kept going on about data usage reporting delay...which is not possible since it is only for my hotspot which hasn't left my house in at least 2 months), this is a known issue and their IT department is working on a resolution. According to the rep, it is a web site issue...but now I'm not so sure. This discrepancy caused me to exceed my data usage for March...and I didn't even know I had exceeded the usage until I received my bill! I had received warning emails of 65% and 90% usage in March, but never received an email that I had exceeded the data limit and according to the data summary on the web site, I had not exceeded the data limit either. Something is definitely amiss in AT&T's systems, but the issue described in this thread is another twist.

9 of 21 (3,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2013 3:33:15 AM
(0)
Expert

lizzieinmd wrote:

lizzieinmd wrote:

10 of 21 (3,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 22, 2013 7:18:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

Is this some kind of joke?! I heard this from every customer rep I spoke with, except the last one who decided to actually listen to what I was saying. I kept hearing that data usage reporting could be delayed, but I also kept saying that is NOT the issue. The issue was that the data usage detail was there and I could look at it online, but the displayed summary of those details was incorrect. I can also prove it with even more clarity now that I've received my bill with all of the usage details AND that I saved off the web site display when the usage summary was incorrect. Whether it has been fixed or not it's hard to tell because I didn't notice any discrepancy last month until I reached 65% of my data usage. As of right now, the summary usage and summary of the details is in sync, but I will be checking it closely once I hit 65%, which I will.

Is this some kind of joke?! I heard this from every customer rep I spoke with, except the last one who decided to actually listen to what I was saying. I kept hearing that data usage reporting could be delayed, but I also kept saying that is NOT the issue. The issue was that the data usage detail was there and I could look at it online, but the displayed summary of those details was incorrect. I can also prove it with even more clarity now that I've received my bill with all of the usage details AND that I saved off the web site display when the usage summary was incorrect. Whether it has been fixed or not it's hard to tell because I didn't notice any discrepancy last month until I reached 65% of my data usage. As of right now, the summary usage and summary of the details is in sync, but I will be checking it closely once I hit 65%, which I will.

11 of 21 (3,616 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 10:45:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just had the very same thing happen to me in the month of October 2013.  A warning came at the very end of my cycle date (11/1/13).  My online account showed I had 940 texts.  My limit was 1000.  I only sent a few texts on 11/1 after discovering this.  Then I get a text later in the day saying I have exceeded my limit.  What?  Mind you, from my phone I checked the total of texts used on 10/29 and it only showed 770 texts.  This is all so bizarre and something has to be done about it.  They're now telling me I used 1245 texts -- that's 245 texts more than my limit.  I am stunned and in disbelief by that number.  But reading this forum tells me that there is a very serious problem.  Let's hope they fix it so others do not have to go through this.  I've already sent an email to a woman I'm dealing with at AT&T so hopefully my account will be credited appropriately.  Thanks for adding these posts - it helps to know others are experiencing it also.  

I just had the very same thing happen to me in the month of October 2013.  A warning came at the very end of my cycle date (11/1/13).  My online account showed I had 940 texts.  My limit was 1000.  I only sent a few texts on 11/1 after discovering this.  Then I get a text later in the day saying I have exceeded my limit.  What?  Mind you, from my phone I checked the total of texts used on 10/29 and it only showed 770 texts.  This is all so bizarre and something has to be done about it.  They're now telling me I used 1245 texts -- that's 245 texts more than my limit.  I am stunned and in disbelief by that number.  But reading this forum tells me that there is a very serious problem.  Let's hope they fix it so others do not have to go through this.  I've already sent an email to a woman I'm dealing with at AT&T so hopefully my account will be credited appropriately.  Thanks for adding these posts - it helps to know others are experiencing it also.  

12 of 21 (3,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 3, 2013 11:25:04 AM
(0)
Expert

kp2013m wrote:

this thread is about cellular data and not texting plans

kp2013m wrote:

this thread is about cellular data and not texting plans

13 of 21 (3,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 10:21:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Although the post relating a similar problem is concerning text messages, it is the same kind of problem...and text messages are lumped with web on the web site, i.e., text/web is the choice when viewing data usage details...you cannot separate text from web except by reviewing the description on each line. IMO, this just reinforces the inaccuracy of data usage reporting by AT&T systems. I am having even more serious issues right now and have opened a case with AT&T (they acknowledge the issue but haven't fixed it yet) and also filed a complaint with the FCC regarding inaccuate data usage reporting. There is something seriously wrong with the AT&T data usage reporting system and it is causing havoc with the consumer. I have had all sorts of data usage issues since March...and they are never in my favor! I was a computer programmer for 25 years and so I have been trained to always pay attention to detail...and when I started looking at the data usage detail being provided by AT&T I realized there was a serious issue with their data usage reporting. Whether it's text messaging or cellular web usage...it is the same problem...inaccuracy (which causes the bogus data usage warnings)! 

Although the post relating a similar problem is concerning text messages, it is the same kind of problem...and text messages are lumped with web on the web site, i.e., text/web is the choice when viewing data usage details...you cannot separate text from web except by reviewing the description on each line. IMO, this just reinforces the inaccuracy of data usage reporting by AT&T systems. I am having even more serious issues right now and have opened a case with AT&T (they acknowledge the issue but haven't fixed it yet) and also filed a complaint with the FCC regarding inaccuate data usage reporting. There is something seriously wrong with the AT&T data usage reporting system and it is causing havoc with the consumer. I have had all sorts of data usage issues since March...and they are never in my favor! I was a computer programmer for 25 years and so I have been trained to always pay attention to detail...and when I started looking at the data usage detail being provided by AT&T I realized there was a serious issue with their data usage reporting. Whether it's text messaging or cellular web usage...it is the same problem...inaccuracy (which causes the bogus data usage warnings)! 

14 of 21 (3,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2013 1:24:22 PM
(0)
Expert

lizzieinmd wrote:

text messages are listed seperately from data usage. MMS messages which utilize data to send the attachment does not detract from your smartphones data plan no matter what, you can have SMS/MMS on a phone that does not have a data plan attached to it, as long as the cellular data switch is on the mms message will send. Will see your 25 and raise you 43 years.

You might also want to read this that is at the bottom of the data usage report on the website

lizzieinmd wrote:

text messages are listed seperately from data usage. MMS messages which utilize data to send the attachment does not detract from your smartphones data plan no matter what, you can have SMS/MMS on a phone that does not have a data plan attached to it, as long as the cellular data switch is on the mms message will send. Will see your 25 and raise you 43 years.

You might also want to read this that is at the bottom of the data usage report on the website

15 of 21 (3,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 7:51:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, you are absolutely right about text messages vs. data, but it still points out the reporting inaccuracy embedded in AT&T systems. 

Oh, believe me, I have heard and read the data usage disclaimer many, many times. Enough to make my blood boil, because it has NOTHING to do with the problems I have seen regarding inaccurate data usage. All AT&T reps want to do is recite this data usage disclaimer like a mantra and do not listen to the real issue. After several calls, chatting sessions, and emails, AT&T has finally agreed there is a serious issue with my account - it has shown ZERO data usage since 10/9/13 and is not accruing ANY unbilled data usage in real time...which it is supposed to do. I have an open case (CM20131030_76013901) since 10/30 to resolve this but it has not yet been resolved. If I was not using my phone for all internet access I would have NO idea how much data I had used since the beginning of my billing cycle on 10/18. If I look at my account on the web or text *DATA# - it returns with zero data used since 10/18...AND I use my phone for internet access EVERY DAY. Also, SOME of the text messages show up in the details on the web site, but not all of them. I haven't changed anything on my account since July when I switched to mobile share and prior to 10/9, I did see data usage accruing on a daily basis. As of today my phone shows 4.1 GB used since 10/18 - AT&T zero.

Yes, you are absolutely right about text messages vs. data, but it still points out the reporting inaccuracy embedded in AT&T systems. 

Oh, believe me, I have heard and read the data usage disclaimer many, many times. Enough to make my blood boil, because it has NOTHING to do with the problems I have seen regarding inaccurate data usage. All AT&T reps want to do is recite this data usage disclaimer like a mantra and do not listen to the real issue. After several calls, chatting sessions, and emails, AT&T has finally agreed there is a serious issue with my account - it has shown ZERO data usage since 10/9/13 and is not accruing ANY unbilled data usage in real time...which it is supposed to do. I have an open case (CM20131030_76013901) since 10/30 to resolve this but it has not yet been resolved. If I was not using my phone for all internet access I would have NO idea how much data I had used since the beginning of my billing cycle on 10/18. If I look at my account on the web or text *DATA# - it returns with zero data used since 10/18...AND I use my phone for internet access EVERY DAY. Also, SOME of the text messages show up in the details on the web site, but not all of them. I haven't changed anything on my account since July when I switched to mobile share and prior to 10/9, I did see data usage accruing on a daily basis. As of today my phone shows 4.1 GB used since 10/18 - AT&T zero.

16 of 21 (3,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 8:11:27 AM
(0)
Teacher
Interesting enough - I just received a call from AT&T Customer Care (11/5, 11:00AM ET) to let me know they are working on the issue but have not yet resolved it. She also told me I'm not the only one, there are many accounts with this same problem.
Interesting enough - I just received a call from AT&T Customer Care (11/5, 11:00AM ET) to let me know they are working on the issue but have not yet resolved it. She also told me I'm not the only one, there are many accounts with this same problem.

17 of 21 (3,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2013 8:01:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

lizzieinmd wrote:

Are you still having this issue?  I have been as of Oct. as well and trying to get it resolved.  I just spent an hour going around and around with an AT&T Chat rep who kept talking about how to check data and not listening to the real problem.  When I asked for a supervisor I chatted with her for a bit then she closed the chat with me while supposedly researching the problem.

lizzieinmd wrote:

Are you still having this issue?  I have been as of Oct. as well and trying to get it resolved.  I just spent an hour going around and around with an AT&T Chat rep who kept talking about how to check data and not listening to the real problem.  When I asked for a supervisor I chatted with her for a bit then she closed the chat with me while supposedly researching the problem.

18 of 21 (2,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2013 9:30:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Phil-101 on Nov 21, 2013 at 9:47:45 PM

Oh, believe me...I have spent hours on the phone trying to get someone to understand the issue and had the same experience you describe. I nearly got into a shouting match with one rep because she just wouldn't listen and wanted to recite the delayed billing of data usage...blah...blah.,..blah....same old, same old. I tried using their facebook page to bring up the issue and also had a chat session, with no good results. It wasn't until I sent the email on 10/29 that finally got someone's attention because she also could not see any real time data usage on my account so she opened a formal issue. I have found that calling on the phone basically is just a waste of time because of what you experienced, which is the same thing I experienced. Chatting is basically the same waste of time. Email and filing a complaint with the FCC were the only methods that produced any results for me, and didn't take up too much of my time. IMO, it seems if you get the right person who will try to understand your issue, then you will get it resolved, otherwise you will only get data usage recitations.

My new billing cycle started on 11/18 and I suddenly began seeing real time feed of data usage again..and it also appears to be fairly accurate. I did receive an email on 11/5 that the issue had been resolved but I continued to see zero data usage until my next billing cycle started. I am firmly convinced that AT&T has had issues with collecting accurate data usage from at least March of this year and they knew about it. I began seeing lots of different issues with data usage being inaccurate...different issues...but all related to data usage. I finally filed a complaint with the FCC because of the multitude of issues I had experienced for months and obvious inaccuracy of data usage reporting within AT&T systems. Interestingly enough, I received a call from AT&T regarding this FCC complaint the day after I started seeing real time data usage accumulating on my account for the first time since 10/9. Another reason I am very suspicious there were known system issues within AT&T is that for the billing cycle ending 10/17 - the data usage discrepancy between what AT&T billed vs. what my phone was reporting was 1.25 GB (AT&T was reporting MORE than my phone) - which I had never seen that large of a discrepancy before. For the cycle ending on 11/17, my phone data usage matched AT&T system data usage EXACTLY....first time it ever matched exactly...was usually within a couple hundred MB - except for the billing cycle ending on 10/17. That tells me there was a known issue, and it was resolved. If it would help, perhaps you could mention the case number for my issue: [edited for privacy]   According to the AT&T executive office rep I talked to there is lots of documentation of correspondence on this issue but he was unaware of what was specifically done to resolve the issue. I'm sure someone knows...but AT&T is sure not going to tell their customers that their systems have been providing inaccurate data usage reporting for months!

Oh, believe me...I have spent hours on the phone trying to get someone to understand the issue and had the same experience you describe. I nearly got into a shouting match with one rep because she just wouldn't listen and wanted to recite the delayed billing of data usage...blah...blah.,..blah....same old, same old. I tried using their facebook page to bring up the issue and also had a chat session, with no good results. It wasn't until I sent the email on 10/29 that finally got someone's attention because she also could not see any real time data usage on my account so she opened a formal issue. I have found that calling on the phone basically is just a waste of time because of what you experienced, which is the same thing I experienced. Chatting is basically the same waste of time. Email and filing a complaint with the FCC were the only methods that produced any results for me, and didn't take up too much of my time. IMO, it seems if you get the right person who will try to understand your issue, then you will get it resolved, otherwise you will only get data usage recitations.

My new billing cycle started on 11/18 and I suddenly began seeing real time feed of data usage again..and it also appears to be fairly accurate. I did receive an email on 11/5 that the issue had been resolved but I continued to see zero data usage until my next billing cycle started. I am firmly convinced that AT&T has had issues with collecting accurate data usage from at least March of this year and they knew about it. I began seeing lots of different issues with data usage being inaccurate...different issues...but all related to data usage. I finally filed a complaint with the FCC because of the multitude of issues I had experienced for months and obvious inaccuracy of data usage reporting within AT&T systems. Interestingly enough, I received a call from AT&T regarding this FCC complaint the day after I started seeing real time data usage accumulating on my account for the first time since 10/9. Another reason I am very suspicious there were known system issues within AT&T is that for the billing cycle ending 10/17 - the data usage discrepancy between what AT&T billed vs. what my phone was reporting was 1.25 GB (AT&T was reporting MORE than my phone) - which I had never seen that large of a discrepancy before. For the cycle ending on 11/17, my phone data usage matched AT&T system data usage EXACTLY....first time it ever matched exactly...was usually within a couple hundred MB - except for the billing cycle ending on 10/17. That tells me there was a known issue, and it was resolved. If it would help, perhaps you could mention the case number for my issue: [edited for privacy]   According to the AT&T executive office rep I talked to there is lots of documentation of correspondence on this issue but he was unaware of what was specifically done to resolve the issue. I'm sure someone knows...but AT&T is sure not going to tell their customers that their systems have been providing inaccurate data usage reporting for months!

[ Edited ]
19 of 21 (2,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2014 8:32:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

In April, 2014, I got the warning that my account was approaching its max.  Then I got messages that I exceeded my 1 GB limit by 10GB!  My usage (which has never exceeded 1 GB), has not changed in any way.  But I am now on the hook for major overage charges.

Customer service tells me that they can't do anything until 1 week after my billing period closes (another 2 weeks away).  I am afraid to use my service for fear that they will gouge me for usage that I am not using.

In April, 2014, I got the warning that my account was approaching its max.  Then I got messages that I exceeded my 1 GB limit by 10GB!  My usage (which has never exceeded 1 GB), has not changed in any way.  But I am now on the hook for major overage charges.

Customer service tells me that they can't do anything until 1 week after my billing period closes (another 2 weeks away).  I am afraid to use my service for fear that they will gouge me for usage that I am not using.

20 of 21 (2,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2014 7:36:51 AM
(0)
Teacher
Interesting indeed.because I too received an overage surprise on my April
bill. All data usage has been OK since about October 2013.until April 2014.
My billing period ends at midnight on the 17th of every month.and I received
an email on April 18th that I had used 9431 MB of my 10240 MB. I even
checked on the AT&T website to verify this, which told me the same
thing.that my previous billed usage was 9431. I sure was surprised to see
that I had actually exceeded my data usage when I received my bill a few
days later. My theory is that AT&T included data usage from April 18th on my
previous bill that ended April 17th .thus causing the overage.and netting
them an additional $15. I have found there is no use to argue with them over
data usage because they will always recite the disclaimer regarding the
delay in data usage being reported.and THAT makes me very angry.

How in the world is anyone supposed to be able to stay within their data
usage if one cannot have up to the minute accurate information regarding
that usage???? It appears that AT&T systems are not capable of accurate
tracking of data usage.illustrated by me receiving an email on April 18th
that I had used 9431 MB of data.then finding out on my bill that I had
actually exceeded my data usage. I had no clue until I received my bill that
there was going to be a data overage charge. And what about all the months
when I didn't even use all of my data.was I credited for what I didn't
use???? Heck no.but in the rare months when I exceed my allotted data
usage.I have to pay extra!!! I do believe it's time for data
rollover.especially in light of the obvious short comings of AT&T data usage
reporting!!!!
Interesting indeed.because I too received an overage surprise on my April
bill. All data usage has been OK since about October 2013.until April 2014.
My billing period ends at midnight on the 17th of every month.and I received
an email on April 18th that I had used 9431 MB of my 10240 MB. I even
checked on the AT&T website to verify this, which told me the same
thing.that my previous billed usage was 9431. I sure was surprised to see
that I had actually exceeded my data usage when I received my bill a few
days later. My theory is that AT&T included data usage from April 18th on my
previous bill that ended April 17th .thus causing the overage.and netting
them an additional $15. I have found there is no use to argue with them over
data usage because they will always recite the disclaimer regarding the
delay in data usage being reported.and THAT makes me very angry.

How in the world is anyone supposed to be able to stay within their data
usage if one cannot have up to the minute accurate information regarding
that usage???? It appears that AT&T systems are not capable of accurate
tracking of data usage.illustrated by me receiving an email on April 18th
that I had used 9431 MB of data.then finding out on my bill that I had
actually exceeded my data usage. I had no clue until I received my bill that
there was going to be a data overage charge. And what about all the months
when I didn't even use all of my data.was I credited for what I didn't
use???? Heck no.but in the rare months when I exceed my allotted data
usage.I have to pay extra!!! I do believe it's time for data
rollover.especially in light of the obvious short comings of AT&T data usage
reporting!!!!